P:E dieting

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
WOW! That's a blast from the past mate, I had one of those many years ago. I do not know what happened to it as I must have lost during the move years back. :D
Yeah I dug it out from the shed. Reckon its the lazy mans gym. But had reasonable results with it years ago

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Frustratingly my BG didn’t drop below 6 at any point during the days last week.
That's interesting. My BS was higher initially - even though I kept well below 20g carbs a day. It seemed that the higher protein was causing the rise and I have always found (right from the start of going low carb) that BS levels rose the more protein I ate. Over time I think I brainwashed myself into disliking protein and was consistently consuming a low protein diet.

This time I decided that I would stick to the higher protein because I felt I was damaging my body by restricting protein.

The first thing I noticed was that I felt so well then I noticed that I was losing weight around my waist and only around my waist.

I decided to stick with it - even if my BS was not as good as I wanted.

I am so pleased I did as I have now lost 4 inches from my waist and now, nearly 3 months later, my blood sugars are consistently lower than they have ever been in the 5 years I have been doing low carb.

I try to do exactly what @muzza3 does. Focus on the protein and try not to let the fat and carbs go higher than the the protein. Carbs never go above 20g but fat does vary a bit.

The best part of it is that I feel so amazingly well and muscles are definitely stronger.

Reactions: DJC3 and Speedbird

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 thanks for the encouragement, it’s really good to hear of your success. I think I am finally getting my head round it and I do like having the larger portions of protein.
I bought one of those body contour scales in Amazon Prime day. I think it was @Mbaker said how useful they are. Well it arrived today and has been a bit of an eye opener. Although I seem on paper to be a normal weight and my bmi is 21.5 the scales calculate my body fat at 31.5% which is in the high category. I’m hoping that following the PE scheme with a bit more diligence will redistribute the weight and I’ll lose some fat from round my middle like Krystyna .
(On the plus side it tells me my metabolic age is 2 years younger than I am - a little NSV)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's interesting. My BS was higher initially - even though I kept well below 20g carbs a day. It seemed that the higher protein was causing the rise and I have always found (right from the start of going low carb) that BS levels rose the more protein I ate. Over time I think I brainwashed myself into disliking protein and was consistently consuming a low protein diet.

This time I decided that I would stick to the higher protein because I felt I was damaging my body by restricting protein.

The first thing I noticed was that I felt so well then I noticed that I was losing weight around my waist and only around my waist.

I decided to stick with it - even if my BS was not as good as I wanted.

I am so pleased I did as I have now lost 4 inches from my waist and now, nearly 3 months later, my blood sugars are consistently lower than they have ever been in the 5 years I have been doing low carb.

I try to do exactly what @muzza3 does. Focus on the protein and try not to let the fat and carbs go higher than the the protein. Carbs never go above 20g but fat does vary a bit.

The best part of it is that I feel so amazingly well and muscles are definitely stronger.

These are great results @Krystyna23040. I should really thank you as well. Since reading thru this thread and particularly your experience on PE it made sense to me and to date (nearly 7 weeks) I have been seeing results on all fronts and agree regarding wellness and strength/energy improvements and enjoying the diet itself although with much higher levels of Carbs 60-90g than yourself

Reactions: DJC3

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 thanks for the encouragement, it’s really good to hear of your success. I think I am finally getting my head round it and I do like having the larger portions of protein.
I bought one of those body contour scales in Amazon Prime day. I think it was @Mbaker said how useful they are. Well it arrived today and has been a bit of an eye opener. Although I seem on paper to be a normal weight and my bmi is 21.5 the scales calculate my body fat at 31.5% which is in the high category. I’m hoping that following the PE scheme with a bit more diligence will redistribute the weight and I’ll lose some fat from round my middle like Krystyna .
(On the pl

I am also normal weight but think that I also would show up as high body fat. I think I may be a TOFI.
Usually I don't allow myself to drop my weight any lower than I am now because I start looking too skinny. This time it is so different and I am sure I am losing internal fat as my weight loss is all around my middle and the rest of me still looks fine. I was diagnosed with a fatty liver in 2000 and I am hoping that all the liver fat will now disappear with the PE diet.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These are great results @Krystyna23040. I should really thank you as well. Since reading thru this thread and particularly your experience on PE it made sense to me and to date (nearly 7 weeks) I have been seeing results on all fronts and agree regarding wellness and strength/energy improvements and enjoying the diet itself although with much higher levels of Carbs 60-90g than yourself
It is wonderful that wellness and strength/energy improves so much with PE. I am hoping that I will be able to increase carbs once all the liver and pancreas fat has been lost and they start to function normally.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
7 weeks in.

Weight loss this week .2kg (4.7kg since starting).

Fasting BG 7 day average 4.8
14 day average 4.8
30 day average 5.0

Body contour scales
Body fat down down to 27.5% (starting 29.8%)
Muscle steady 37% (starting 35.9%)
Belt in .5 notch (about .5 inch) and in 2.5 since starting

PE Ratio has been around 1.4 over the week.

Calories averaged 1544 this week

Head cold early in the week with a day off work and poor weather effected daily walks. Energy levels have still been good and feel very full most of the time.

Continued strengthening exercise at home with planks and isometrics on alternative days for 2nd week.

Still quite relaxed about macros but was short on my target protein of 172g a day and will try to get closer to this this week

After seven weeks have become really comfortable with the diet and will be continuing till hitting weight loss goal and then evaluating macros to a weight maintenance regime.

Reactions: DJC3 and LaoDan

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7 weeks in.

14 day average 4.8
30 day average 5.0

Body contour scales

Head cold early in the week with a day off work and poor weather effected daily walks. Energy levels have still been good and feel very full most of the time.

Continued strengthening exercise at home with planks and isometrics on alternative days for 2nd week.

Still quite relaxed about macros but was short on my target protein of 172g a day and will try to get closer to this this week

After seven weeks have become really comfortable with the diet and will be continuing till hitting weight loss goal and then evaluating macros to a weight maintenance regime.
You are doing brilliantly. It does seem that this works really well - even if we are relaxed about macros (which I definitely am) and don't reach target protein.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7 weeks in.

14 day average 4.8
30 day average 5.0

Body contour scales

This is wonderful and so encouraging to read. What sort of meals are you eating?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You are doing brilliantly. It does seem that this works really well - even if we are relaxed about macros (which I definitely am) and don't reach target protein.
Agree about not getting too caught up in the macros but am going to try to hit my protein level this week to see if it makes a difference

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now nearly 3 months on.P.E. Am now 2lbs under my weight loss goal and am moving into what would have been the far too skinny zone if I was still on my previous LC regime.

I definitely seem to be preserving lean tissue prioritising protein and am happy that I look slender rather than too skinny. I know that being healthy is the important thing rather than obsessing about what I look like but I absolutely hate looking too skinny and haggard, especially when people start asking me if I am OK.

I am so happy that my waist is now an amazing 5 inches less than it was when I started at the beginning of April. It is now only 2 inches more than It was in my 20s.

So at the moment I don't know if my beta cells have been so damaged by 20 years plus undiagnosed diabetes that they will never cope with more than 20g carbs a day or whether losing the remaining pancreas and liver fat will mean I could increase non starchy carbs to 30g a day.

I will continue until I lose the remaining 2 inches from my waist but am absolutely clueless about macros after that. I am assuming that we still prioritise protein but increase added fats.

Edited to add. @Goonergal have just read your post and remembered the almond butter (5 jars) that are under lock and key at the moment because they are just too tempting and one tsp is never enough. It will be lovely to introduce them back into my diet - if hopefully I can do it in a controlled way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedbird and DJC3

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is wonderful and so encouraging to read. What sort of meals are you eating?
I'll document the meals more this week but as I am no sort of cook and back at the office some days are made up a bit on the run.
Today (Sunday)

Breakfast
Chobani FIT Strawberry Yogurt (Hi Protein) 16g Protein, 7g Carbs 0 Fat mixed with 1 tablespoon of Oat Bran Protein 2g Carb 6g Fat 1g
Ham on toasted roll -Bakers Life Lo-Carb High Protein Bun Protein 19g Carb 8g Fat 7g - Butter 2 teaspoons - Fat 8g - Ham 64g Protein 18g Fat 5g

Lunch
Ham with mustard - 150g Protein 42g Fat 13g

Afternoon Snack
YoPro Mint Chocolate Frozen Desert Stick Protein 10g Carbs 5g Fat 3g

Dinner
Roast Beef and Veges details TBC

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now nearly 3 months on.P.E. Am now 2lbs under my weight loss goal and am moving into what would have been the far too skinny zone if I was still on my previous LC regime.

I definitely seem to be preserving lean tissue prioritising protein and am happy that I look slender rather than too skinny. I know that being healthy is the important thing rather than obsessing about what I look like but I absolutely hate looking too skinny and haggard, especially when people start asking me if I am OK.

I am so happy that my waist is now an amazing 5 inches less than it was when I started at the beginning of April. It is now only 2 inches more than It was in my 20s.

So at the moment I don't know if my beta cells have been so damaged by 20 years plus undiagnosed diabetes that they will never cope with more than 20g carbs a day or whether losing the remaining pancreas and liver fat will mean I could increase non starchy carbs to 30g a day.

I will continue until I lose the remaining 2 inches from my waist but am absolutely clueless about macros after that. I am assuming that we still prioritise protein but increase added fats.

Wow! Brilliant. That’s such a short time to see such a difference.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Edited to add. @Goonergal have just read your post and remembered the almond butter (5 jars) that are under lock and key at the moment because they are just too tempting and one tsp is never enough. It will be lovely to introduce them back into my diet - if hopefully I can do it in a controlled way.
Great results!! Yes looking forward to trying maintenance on this diet down the track where as I understand it you set grams of protein at your maintenance weight in pounds and lift combined fats and carbs to match that IE: PE Ratio of 1:1

Reactions: Goonergal

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You guys are putting me to shame. I’ve wandered way off piste with too much cream, almond butter and dark chocolate. That’s all gone now, so doubling back down on this.
Nothing wrong with wandering as long as you wander back. I think I am due for a wander myself soon

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
6 weeks in.

Weight loss this week .5kg (4.5kg since starting).

Fasting BG 7 day average 4.7
14 day average 4.9
30 day average 5.1

Body contour scales
Body fat down down to 27.8% (starting 29.8%)
Muscle up to 37% (starting 35.9%)
Belt in 1 notch (about an inch) and in 2 since starting

PE Ratio has been around 1.3 over the week.

Calories averaged 1565 this week

Important to remember that while I have seen an improvement in FBG levels that they were in the normal range when I started this diet and my motivation was a combination of weight loss and finding a more comfortable diet as I have never enjoyed High fat and very low carb. My consumption of eggs and cheese has significantly reduced as has bacon and sausages as I eat leaner meats and have had more fish in my diet. Energy levels have been good and feel very full most of the time.

Exercise - Walking each day 10,000 steps plus with 5-6000 at 100 plus heart rate. have just added this last week a little muscle strengthening exercise at home with planks and isometrics ( pulled out an old bullworker ) on alternative days

I am very happy with the results 6 weeks in and my approach is quite relaxed with macros and only tend to concentrate on the protein to get a 1.1 result each day over the whole days intake. Carbs remain under 100g a day

I use my Fit bit app to track macros and I while I can't vouch for its 100% accuracy it is convenient and not overly burdensome to update
Just brilliant, much, much, much better than a food frequency questionnaire. Real cross referenced results, with yourself as the control, good scales. I think your protocol is great.