Wild and long lasting spike... implications?

jenfoolery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
(LONG, sorry) I'm reviewing my last week of data from my CGM and WOW did I screw myself up.

Since smartening up in March, I generally try to stick to keto, although I often overdo the protein. The week of the 7th was my birthday and I saw several friends on different days and ate a little more carbs than usual (to be polite, you see), but nothing outrageous. I had a little pastry on the 10th and that caused a spike but it came right back down quickly. And then right back to good habits.

But on the 17th I found that my favorite Vietnamese spring roll shop now delivers so... I got an order. Now two of them I dissected and only ate the innards. But about one and a half, I ate whole with the wrapper, vermicelli, etc. My sugar went from 6.4 to a peak at 15.6! And it stayed over 11 for about three hours before coming back down. ***? I don't have insulin, there was really nothing I could do to bring it down. The spike was bad enough but it didn't cross back into the "normal" range for almost 6 hours. Is this a sign that my pancreas is running out of juice? Or that I'm hugely insulin resistant?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(LONG, sorry) I'm reviewing my last week of data from my CGM and WOW did I screw myself up.

Since smartening up in March, I generally try to stick to keto, although I often overdo the protein. The week of the 7th was my birthday and I saw several friends on different days and ate a little more carbs than usual (to be polite, you see), but nothing outrageous. I had a little pastry on the 10th and that caused a spike but it came right back down quickly. And then right back to good habits.

But on the 17th I found that my favorite Vietnamese spring roll shop now delivers so... I got an order. Now two of them I dissected and only ate the innards. But about one and a half, I ate whole with the wrapper, vermicelli, etc. My sugar went from 6.4 to a peak at 15.6! And it stayed over 11 for about three hours before coming back down. ***? I don't have insulin, there was really nothing I could do to bring it down. The spike was bad enough but it didn't cross back into the "normal" range for almost 6 hours. Is this a sign that my pancreas is running out of juice? Or that I'm hugely insulin resistant?
Could be the combo of having carbs with fat, as spring rolls are deep fried. Fats slow down the uptake of carbs, (I guess pizza phenomenon would apply), so while the high lasted for hours, without the fats it likely would've been a shorter but considerably higher spike. I can't say anything about your level of insulin resistance, sorry.

Next time you go high, go for a walk if you can. I don't know if that's an option for you, but the steady, calm burning off would likely help get things to move along quicker.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta

I think you have just identified one food to stay away from. Which is great work and why we all test
Well done and sorry

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be the combo of having carbs with fat, as spring rolls are deep fried. Fats slow down the uptake of carbs, (I guess pizza phenomenon would apply), so while the high lasted for hours, without the fats it likely would've been a shorter but considerably higher spike. I can't say anything about your level of insulin resistance, sorry.

Next time you go high, go for a walk if you can. I don't know if that's an option for you, but the steady, calm burning off would likely help get things to move along quicker.
Certain foods affect me in very similar ways. Pizza and fish and chips for example. The combinations of fats and carbs as you say don’t cause the 2 hour usual spike/drop so a normal eat to the meter doesn’t apply

in fact, elevated bloods well into the next morning are often seen, even with a walk or exercise. It’s one of those interesting things about those types of foods unfortunately

@jenfoolery the levels dropped again, so as a one off maybe just a warning that that type of food doesn’t work for you and to avoid in the future. Hopefully your future readings are back to what you would expect

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Used to love Vietnamese food, especially the coffee with sweetened condensed milk. On the off limits list

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jenfoolery I can't tell from your sig how far into your T2 journey you are or if you've achieved <48(6.5%) A1c.
All I can relate to you is that in my early months post diagnosis I tested myself with some heavy carb meals to see if my insulin response was improving.
A single bowl of Shreddies once sent me to 13.3(239) at the 1 hour mark, I freaked out, like you I didn't take insulin so I'd no control over the situation.
I immediately went low carb, did my own version of intermittent fasting & took up moderate exercise.
My plan was to take the stress off my pancreas & beta cells, give it a chance to heal.
After losing 5 stone I repeated this Shreddies test a few months later where I only spiked to 7.8(140) at the 1 hour & was back in the 5s at the 2 hour mark.
There is a subset of us whos insulin resistance seems to be down to visceral fat & early intervention can produce some great results.
Low carb was the key to all of this.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When i started out on my first day as a diabetic with my meter i went for a healthly 2 shredded wheat and skimmed milk (35 grams of carbs). Though that was a good healthy start until i checked my bloods 2hrs later to find it at 14.5 :). Just kept lowering carbs down till i got to under 6 grams and my bloods were not rising more than 1.5 or less. Its just fatty meat and brocolli now and see how my HbA1c looks in a few weeks and most proberely just stay on a carnivor diet :)

Reactions: jenfoolery

jenfoolery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@jenfoolery I can't tell from your sig how far into your T2 journey you are or if you've achieved <48(6.5%) A1c.
All I can relate to you is that in my early months post diagnosis I tested myself with some heavy carb meals to see if my insulin response was improving.
A single bowl of Shreddies once sent me to 13.3(239) at the 1 hour mark, I freaked out, like you I didn't take insulin so I'd no control over the situation.
I immediately went low carb, did my own version of intermittent fasting & took up moderate exercise.
My plan was to take the stress off my pancreas & beta cells, give it a chance to heal.
After losing 5 stone I repeated this Shreddies test a few months later where I only spiked to 7.8(140) at the 1 hour & was back in the 5s at the 2 hour mark.
There is a subset of us whos insulin resistance seems to be down to visceral fat & early intervention can produce some great results.
Low carb was the key to all of this.
I should probably update my sig... as you can see I'm quite new here and it does feel kind of strange putting all that info just out into the Internet. As if all my data weren't out there for someone somewhere! :)