Has anyone got anything positive to say about Metformin?

glucose kid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone, been attempting to control my Type 2 diabetes by diet and exercise since being diagnosed a few years ago and have resisted taking Metformin.

Sadly my readings of late have crept up to 10 mmol/l + most days.

I feel I have little option but to start taking Metformin, but everything I have read on the subject is not very encouraging with many people finding the side effects very debilitating.

I would be very grateful to hear the other side of the coin to help me make my decision.

Kind regards

Glucose Kid.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Only a proportion of people find that Metformin causes problems. Of course, they are vocal about it, because it was unpleasant.
However, many (most?) people don't have that experience, and some find that taking the slow release version is fine, whereas the normal fast release version is problematic.

Worth trying it to see what your personal experience will be - assuming that you have tried all the other options (adjusting diet, changing exercise and lifestyle, self monitoring blood glucose, etc.)?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Only a proportion of people find that Metformin causes problems. Of course, they are vocal about it, because it was unpleasant.
However, many (most?) people don't have that experience, and some find that taking the slow release version is fine, whereas the normal fast release version is problematic.

Worth trying it to see what your personal experience will be - assuming that you have tried all the other options (adjusting diet, changing exercise and lifestyle, self monitoring blood glucose, etc.)?
I have been on metformin for over a decade, I had some issues I recall with the normal version with stomach but it wasn’t that bad as I recall but moved to slow release

Over time I have fluctuated doses but I have had pretty much zero side effects and it is a well tolerated drug that does have some impact on my bloods. Maybe not huge impact, I can’t really say but along dietary and/or other meds it’s fine

only problem was vitamin b levels dropped once I was on 2000mg a day but I supplement for that

Honestly, it’s not that bad for the vast majority. Yes some don’t tolerate but as with most things the most vocal are those who have issues. Those okay tend not to voice it. I have said on other posts that some can come across too forcefully that the drug is bad, but it really isn’t, one of the minimal side effect and well tolerated diabetic drugs there is

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took metformin SR for about 3 years before my GP finally decided I could manage without it. In all that time I only had "gastric issues" on a couple of occasions, both when I overdid the carbs in my dinners, which is a known possible side effect. There was also one brand which I was prescribed for a short time and didn't get on with in general, and my pharmacist just added a note to my repeats info not to give me this one.

I believe @Rachox is happy to continue with her metformin for other benefits it can offer.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate having to take medication. Concern about side effects makes me wary. However, I can and do take Metformin, the bog standard one, without problems that some people report.

It was prescribed for the first 10 years or so of my T2 life. Then with good HbA1c results I chose to come off it. After a further two years and some increase again in BG levels, I made the decision to have Metformin again. Partly because of the concern about BG, but also following information that it would benefit my other health conditions, a blood disorder, and bone problems. Feel quite well, but the Metformin could just be one of many factors in that, as there have been other changes to medications, diet, lifestyle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7212476/

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I was initially prescribed 2000g Metformin but as my blood glucose levels normalised I reduced the dose. I didn't have any noticeable side effects except for a rapid depletion of Vit B12. I took it for 5 years but have had no medication for the last 2 years. However, should my blood glucose levels increase I would consider taking it again. There have been positive reports regarding bone health etc.
However, I can't determine how much impact Metformin had as I also lost weight, exercised more and continue to eat low carbohydrate.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Don’t bio hackers believe it increases lifespan? I’ve seen a few videos on this.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been on the bog standard metformin for 12 years, I haven’t suffered any of the side effects. I do think it helps with my fasting numbers and it is believed to have some beneficial side effects such as protecting the heart. It’s the one drug I’m happy to take

Reactions: Debmcgee

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @glucose kid and thanks for the tag @Robbity .
I’ve been on Metformin coming up to four years. I had a few gastric issues over about ten days to two weeks at the start but since then I have had no side effects at all. As Robbity says, I’m very happy to continue taking it as I have seen articles citing other benefits, the link @Pipp has posted explains it better than me! Also the other day I found this article about Metformin and Covid:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2021/feb/metformin-found-to-reduce-risk-of-dying-from-covid-19.html

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been on the bog standard metformin for 12 years, I haven’t suffered any of the side effects. I do think it helps with my fasting numbers and it is believed to have some beneficial side effects such as protecting the heart. It’s the one drug I’m happy to take
I read that as "I've been on the bog for 12 years" which chimed with me.. but then again I'm biased..

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve said this before and had absolutely no feedback or indeed response from anyone, for or against. But I’ll recommend this again My brother who was diagnosed years before me recommended taking a probiotic of some sort when I started on Metformin. I took Multibionta and I had no problems whatsoever with Metformin, of any sort. I was told by a consultant I see for something else that Metformin can protect against various cancers including breast cancer.

Reactions: Speedbird

glucose kid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to everyone who responded, even to the couple who I have no idea what your on about.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to everyone who responded, even to the couple who I have no idea what your on about.
I hope that it works for you if you decide to take it. I personally would take action if my levels were as you described but there are options and maybe this is one for you

It is important to understand side effects for sure but sometimes some on here can swerve towards saying it is the worst drug ever. I’m sure they don’t mean to portray it as such, but I believe it is important to add balance. The normal version or the slow release version

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I hope that it works for you if you decide to take it. I personally would take action if my levels were as you described but there are options and maybe this is one for you

It is important to understand side effects for sure but sometimes some on here can swerve towards saying it is the worst drug ever. I’m sure they don’t mean to portray it as such, but I believe it is important to add balance. The normal version or the slow release version
Well I think it is the worst drug ever I had 15 years of hell on this devil drug I wouldn't go back on it for all the money in the world

kathiehayhoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unfortunately I can't say anything good about Metformin. I tried the ordinary and the slow release but bowel problems with both were dreadful. I had 4 years of suffering before I stopped taking them. I was on holiday and was spending all my morning on the toilet so I made the decision to stop taking them and went to the GP when I got home.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone, been attempting to control my Type 2 diabetes by diet and exercise since being diagnosed a few years ago and have resisted taking Metformin.

I feel I have little option but to start taking Metformin, but everything I have read on the subject is not very encouraging with many people finding the side effects very debilitating.

I would be very grateful to hear the other side of the coin to help me make my decision.

Kind regards

Glucose Kid.
Not a fan of metformin, as I responded badly to it... But then, there's no way of knowing how you'll respond. Just ask for the slow release kind if you want to try it, and don't take it on an empty stomach. Also, might ant to take B12 vitamins and it'll deplete them. It does have perks, supposedly it should help with your heart health and there's something about cancer I believe, so yeah.

Mind you, if there's more tweaking that can be done diet-wise... What are you eating and drinking in a day? Maybe there's ground to be gained there yet.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

Kind regards

Glucose Kid.

I considered stopping my 1000mg dose of metformin, after seeing some kidney alerts and discussions about that here. But I was already reduced from the initial 2000mg prescription, and I never felt any effects at all on this drug. Today I read the blurb on this website, and the risks (lactose acidosis rare) are far less than the benefits. So, for my part I will resume to 1000mg metformin.