Don't take your metformin when not well.

mummymerle

Hi guys not been well recently. For the first time in 16 years on metformin and insulin. A Dr has informed me not take my metformin when not well. I'm very surprised

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Thats daft, did the doc give you a reason?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi guys not been well recently. For the first time in 16 years on metformin and insulin. A Dr has informed me not take my metformin when not well. I'm very surprised
Just a guess, as I am not a doctor, but maybe he/she is worried you won't eat while ill and may go hypo - the metformin can prevent your liver from protecting you from insulin induced hypos?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps my doctors were wrong to not stop my met then during my recent hospital, operation & other issues, they have permanently reduced mine to 1g but never stopped them, even when on a constant insulin drip and days on little or no food. interesting, I'm sorry I jumped to my conclusion.

mummymerle

Perhaps my doctors were wrong to not stop my met then during my recent hospital, operation & other issues, they have permanently reduced mine to 1g but never stopped them, even when on a constant insulin drip and days on little or no food. interesting, I'm sorry I jumped to my conclusion.
I had exactly the same experience at Easter operation staying in hospital on a sliding scale. Very much the same

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think your Dr is wrong but who am I as an amateur to criticise an 'expert' :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. Could you please fill in your profile and information so we know what type of diabetes you have, and any diabetes medication you are on, as this helps other posters to know how to respond to some questions. Thank you.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

But did they reduce your insulin dosage to compensated for the reduction in carbs?

For a Type 2 on insulin and metformin there are 3 possible ways to adjust BG so as to try to avoid hypos:
1. Stop the metformin. - this frees up the liver to produce glucose when required.
2. Reduce the insulin dosage.
3. Eat more carbs.
Or a combination of all 3.

Outside of a hospital setting I know which ones I would prefer.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
But did they reduce your insulin dosage to compensated for the reduction in carbs?

For a Type 2 on insulin and metformin there are 3 possible ways to adjust BG so as to try to avoid hypos:
1. Stop the metformin. - this frees up the liver to produce glucose when required.
2. Reduce the insulin dosage.
3. Eat more carbs.
Or a combination of all 3.

Outside of a hospital setting I know which ones I would prefer.
They reduced it because.... wait! I have no idea why, I was in hospital having a heart bypass, I assumed it had something to do with that but to be honest, I have no idea. Ridiculous really that I didn't ask.

OK, I have done some research on the effects of metformin on Heart patients and have concluded that I should never try to read that stuff again, it clearly isn't meant for someone like me. I think maybe I am dyslexic as the writing on the page went blurry, then turned into a picture of an iced doughnut.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucylocket61

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
They reduced it because.... wait! I have no idea why, I was in hospital having a heart bypass, I assumed it had something to do with that but to be honest, I have no idea. Ridiculous really that I didn't ask.
Even after learning how little some doctors know even we in here still find ourselves blindly trusting that they will get it right for us.
In your case the doctors prevented you being at risk by taking (imho) the best possible action out of the 2 or 3 possible choices.
But can we trust them to always get it right - or should we insist on 'informed choice' ?

Reactions: Fenn

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had exactly the same experience at Easter operation staying in hospital on a sliding scale. Very much the same
I'd agree with Ellie here especially if you take insulin with meals and not just once a day? but if you are ill I'd keep checking the blood sugars. Your liver may be making even more glucose without your eating anything in response to the illness itself.
Metformin inhibits glucose production by the liver so hopefully you can go on it again once recovered.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Lack of food when unwell could lead to gastric upset when taking metformin.

Becoming dehydrated when unwell can lead to a decrease in kidney function. Metformin is contraindicated with an eGFR <30. May be you already have reduced function and GP is being cautious.

Personally, I do stop my metformin when feeling ill, may be for a couple of days, until improved. But it’s only fair to point out I've been hospitalised twice this year with acute kidney failure. I think your GP is on the ball.

Wishing you a speedy return to normal.

Reactions: EllieM