The BEST Workouts for WEIGHT LOSS | How to Exercise to LOSE FAT

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It's really hard to exercise for weight (fat) loss. Athletes can overcome energy balance to drop body weight, but this fitness does not always mean achieving health.

The ultimate fat loss tool is diet, perhaps with exercise as part of a maintenance plan. I refer to fat loss as opposed to weight as these are not interchangeable. Many slap on a pair of trainers or get on a cycle, this can reduce body fat, but it will also reduce muscle mass. With a full understanding I would suggest most would want only to loss fat, in which case resistance / weight training is essential.

If I had 30 minutes a day to spare for exercise, 10 would go on cardio with 20 on weights and then any incidental walking throughout the day especially after meals. As fitness and strength improved, I would change the 10 minutes into hiit based workouts (to get the benefit of long duration cardio in a short period of time). The 20 minutes of resistance and weights I would aim to do giant sets with minimal rest and progressive overload (without injury). At this level exercise is extremely addictive and it is possible to take things to great levels. However exercise is best matched with a great diet.

Reactions: Lainie71

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As fitness and strength improved, I would change the 10 minutes into hiit based workouts
Bear in mind many of us with a defective pancreas find HIIT causes blood sugar levels to rise. Likewise, resistance training can have the same affect.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I done it the other way round so far. Due to athritis and muscular problems and 20+ years of inactivity its was a walk with the dogs on the flat when i could do it and going LCHF was what i would say helped me loose 5 stone. Going by my meter its 10 grams of carbs or less per meal so just went mainly carnivor. My weight stalled at 14 stone so went from 3 meals a day to 2 and now weight been at 12 stone for 2 months and bloods between 4 and 4.5 in the morning :)
Now i am trying to keep my weight at 12 stone and have started doing resistant band training a few times a week to build muscle as i look a bit scrawny but should look better by end of year :). Trying to increase carbs a little bit and do resisant traing without it effecting my morning readings

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I honestly think this is a question that does not need over thinking. Many types of exercise can result in fat loss, but its all about calorie removal. So running, swimming and intensive cycling can result in high calories/hour but wont do much if your eating too much in a day.

Its a fallacy that you can do particular exercise to target areas of fat, many studies have shown it makes almost zero difference "do this set of exercises to target fat on your belly and get your abs to shine etc"

By far the biggest factor is calorie deficit, that's all that matters. You can do 20 hours exercise a week, but if you eat more calories then then your taking out, you wont loose weight.

When i was 115kg I used to do say 3 hours of exercise a week when i was trying to loose weight and lost about 2lb of weight per week for over a year. I'm currently doing maybe 5 or 6 hours of even more high intensity exercise and i have been the same weight for the last year (because that's the weight i want to be). The difference is that now im taking in around 2500 calories a day which holds me, rather then my 1700 - 1900 calories for day i was taking in before.

So doing walking and keeping your steps up on a daily basis and keeping yourself in calorie deficit through a sensible diet will do loads more for you weight, then taking up running 5 times a week and still eating loads. That leads to people saying "this exercise stuff is useless its just impossible for me to loose weight" when in reality its that they are taking in more calories then they are using.

When on Keto the calculation gets more complicated as Keto calories don't always stack up due to the way its all metabolized, but a few weeks of tracking how many calories your taking vrs your weight loss will tell you where the line is. After the first few weeks of weight loss you want to be balancing calories for a 2lb per week average loss.

One thing as mentioned above is increasing muscle mass, so doing weight training and increasing strength burns calories when you are doing it, but then if you have stronger larger muscles they use more calories just sitting about. Stronger muscles also burn glucose much more effectively so it helps reduce your reliance on low carb foods if your a type 2.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't agree that calories in/calories out is everything. Yes, it's important not to overeat, but if you are an insulin resistant T2 then where those calories come from is also important. I can lose weight on 2000 cals of mostly fat and protein and gain weight on 1200 cals of mostly carbs. Yes, I do log my food intake, and I weigh it too. No, I don't forget anything.

I agree that increasing muscle mass is important, harder for us ladies but it's what I am trying to do now as I see it as the only way forward for me, cardio (whilst important for general health) just doesn't cut it as far as T2 and IR goes.

Reactions: jjraak

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am of the opinion that if weight loss was all about exercise, jockeys and ballet dancers would never need to limit their food intake.

And let's be aware that for many of us, most exercise is past tense due to age and infirmity. But correct diet WILL lose us weight and not impact on health and strength.

Reactions: jjraak

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The BEST Workouts for WEIGHT LOSS | How to Exercise to LOSE FAT

Hi are you here to tell us the answer or are you looking for an answer ?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I done it the other way round so far. Due to athritis and muscular problems and 20+ years of inactivity its was a walk with the dogs on the flat when i could do it and going LCHF was what i would say helped me loose 5 stone. Going by my meter its 10 grams of carbs or less per meal so just went mainly carnivor. My weight stalled at 14 stone so went from 3 meals a day to 2 and now weight been at 12 stone for 2 months and bloods between 4 and 4.5 in the morning :)
Now i am trying to keep my weight at 12 stone and have started doing resistant band training a few times a week to build muscle as i look a bit scrawny but should look better by end of year :). Trying to increase carbs a little bit and do resisant traing without it effecting my morning readings
Perfect, well adapted.

aryavrielle

In addition to losing weight through exercise, you also need to take great care of your diet. One has to stay away from fried foods and foods that make one fat. Only then do some results come to mind, otherwise everything goes in vain. If you really want to lose weight through exercise, then drink juice in the morning or take one or two glasses of mouth water. And try to get at least 3 hours of exercise. Then come back home and use diet food which also eliminates hunger. Eat a salad for lunch and then drink a cup of parsley tea which helps to burn calories. Try to exercise a second time around 1 o'clock. And do it once in the evening

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In addition to losing weight through exercise, you also need to take great care of your diet. One has to stay away from fried foods and foods that make one fat. Only then do some results come to mind, otherwise everything goes in vain. If you really want to lose weight through exercise, then drink juice in the morning or take one or two glasses of mouth water. And try to get at least 3 hours of exercise. Then come back home and use diet food which also eliminates hunger. Eat a salad for lunch and then drink a cup of parsley tea which helps to burn calories. Try to exercise a second time around 1 o'clock. And do it once in the evening
Do you have diabetes?
Drinking juice will make any diabetic's blood glucose go very high.

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think you read that well. I was given two choices. Juice or water :confused:
Seeing as this forum is meant for people with diabetes, advising juice isn't a very good idea at all, even if you say they can choose water as well.
Do you have diabetes?

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

aryavrielle

Seeing as this forum is meant for people with diabetes, advising juice isn't a very good idea at all, even if you say they can choose water as well.
Do you have diabetes?
My answer is that I think if you can't get juice, you can use water instead. Well, it doesn't matter.

I am not a diabetic, but my parents suffer from this disease, and I serve them.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My answer is that I think if you can't get juice, you can use water instead. Well, it doesn't matter.

I am not a diabetic, but my parents suffer from this disease, and I serve them.
Well juice isn't a good idea for anyone, even non diabetics. It's far better to have the whole fruit as that has fibre too. Water is the best drink for all.

There are very many threads about diet here. This one is about exercise.

ErinKeegan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people
to lose weight of course cardio trainings , swimming , jogging, cycling, tabata, fitness classes and so on

Julio9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Laziness, bad habits
I want to found a coach for me with special education who can help me to lose weight in a right way. I think that this is the first step - doing exercises with someone who can teach you doing it correctly