What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@ianpspurs That egg with hollandaise and parmesan sounds delicious.
@gennepher its fascinating to read about the developing relationship between you and shadow.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs That egg with hollandaise and parmesan sounds delicious.
@gennepher its fascinating to read about the developing relationship between you and shadow.
Thanks @SlimLizzy
Shadow and I have an understanding now. She is still very much an outdoors cat, but she knows how to silently ask me for food when she needs it (she somehow understands I can't hear her miaow, I rarely hear a cat miaow even with the hearing processor on), so she has worked out her ways of silently attracting my attention for food, even when I am in the potting shed. And I will respond immediately.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone on another day in paradise here in the dark and dangerous north
Out last night at one of those Tomahawk Steakhouse places - well OK, it’s a steak. Don’t go banging on about it. It’s not exactly
L'Entrecote in Bordeaux and I’m pretty sure that both Aldi and Lidl sell marvellous ones that just need bringing to temperature and plonking onto a hot grill for a couple of minutes a side in some cheffy flourish and don’t forget to rest or so my doctor advises. I think that on this occasion at least, the egg with hollandaise and parmesan a la @ianpspurs would have been a better choice. Never mind.
Art bit, not another tree, surely! I have to pack before heading down to Birmingham tomorrow so have a wonderful day if you can. Koffy first, packing later.

upload_2022-5-6_7-8-52.jpeg

Reactions: dogslife

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.7

The magpie was absolutely furious yesterday morning. He was hopping up and down my overhead electric cable to the garage, squawking his head off. So, I looked to see why he appeared to be attacking my garage roof.

Big long haired black cat was sitting at the end of the overhead electric cable on the corner of the garage roof. Mr Magpie was lunging repeatedly at big long haired black cat, who sat as still as stone, not moving and didn't even budge an inch, which infuriated Mr Magpie even further. Big long haired black cat just sat there stoically, even though his face was literally inches from Mr Magpie's onslaught. Big Black Cat didn't blink an eyelid and stared at Mr Magpie who was so agitated that he fell off the overhead electric cable.

Every bird alarm call possible is going on in my garden.

Big Black Cat is missing his left ear. I am now certain BBCat is a he. He is just a very very large cat with a heck of a thick fur coat.

I went out, he didn't move. But as soon as I got right by the garage, he slunk out of sight, but came back the second I came in...

He waited a short while and came down slowly and cautiously to feed on the cat diner. I decided to let him have one four course breakfast in peace....he ate everything. I went and did my breakfast, came back. Refilled cat dishes with two of wet food, and two of dry food. Got back in bed to eat breakfast. But BBCat was back. He ate a second four course breakfast.

BBCat is bigger than my little Hearing Dog Meg was. He is bigger than a small Jack Russell. He is a small Panther.
Here is a photo of him on my garage roof...

image.jpeg

Last night he dropped by for supper, but I had cleared up the cat diner. He looked at the plate I had put out for the fox, and dived in...I hope BBCat apologises to Mr Fox..

Mr Magpie never came back yesterday. I think he was too embarrassed falling off that cable. But I think Mr Magpie knew that the BBCat would have made short work of him...as a tasty snack between his four course meals...

The elderly Mr&Mrs Blackbird came back yesterday. The elderly MrsB absolutely trusts me, but not so her husband. He was sounding alarm call after alarm call from my bungalow roof as I approached her as she was sampling the wet cat food which she seemed to think was delicious. It probably had some nutrients she needed. When elderly MrsB finally flew on to my bungalow roof, her husband scolded and scolded her for not listening to his alarm calls.

Shadow was waiting on the swing this morning, so I immediately went out and fed her, and sat with her until she had eaten her fill. At least I know she is fully fed. Then it was all the birds apart from Mr Magpie. The birds seem to really like the cat pate. I need to get some more...

Creative kaleidoscope in Laboscope today is my Russian Comfrey again. The buds of the purple flowers, but I liked the leaf pattern on this one.

Time for another coffee...

Oh dear, the bottomless pit has arrived, he is half hour late, BBCat usually arrives on the dot of 6:30 am...

image.jpeg

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone on another day in paradise here in the dark and dangerous north
Out last night at one of those Tomahawk Steakhouse places - well OK, it’s a steak. Don’t go banging on about it. It’s not exactly
L'Entrecote in Bordeaux and I’m pretty sure that both Aldi and Lidl sell marvellous ones that just need bringing to temperature and plonking onto a hot grill for a couple of minutes a side in some cheffy flourish and don’t forget to rest or so my doctor advises. I think that on this occasion at least, the egg with hollandaise and parmesan a la @ianpspurs would have been a better choice. Never mind.
Art bit, not another tree, surely! I have to pack before heading down to Birmingham tomorrow so have a wonderful day if you can. Koffy first, packing later.

View attachment 54420

I love this tree series @dunelm
And look forward to more...

Reactions: jjraak

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 again this morning. Archie has had a bit of a tummy upset yesterday but is OK today - although he was really slow on his walk and is now fast asleep. He is nearly 15¾ which is incredibly ancient for a chocolate Labrador.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings one and all on the Feast of Saint John the Evangelist ante Portam Latinam - unusual bath. Another smile and wave day with Swipey yesterday continued this morning. I will, of course, never know what the situation would be sans Elsie. Today is SSSF complete with avo and toasted pine nuts. That menu almost certainly isn't clean keto/textbook Elsie but this is bare knuckle not Queensberry rules. @dunelm it sounds as though your experience of meat central mirrored mine last December when I enriched a Southampton eatery - Porterhuse for 2 at £100 - meh?? No 2 son enjoyed his birthday meal though. Thanks for the tree and safe journey. @dunelm and @SlimLizzy you both seem to have missed the essential ingredient - fresh, quality asparagus. JKP and I will be heading to Newmarket this afternoon for, hopefully, a repeat purchase of asparagus, strawberries and new potatoes. @gennepher more wonderful Tales from The Bungalow Garden (that cat is a monster) and the kaleidoscope was another triumph darling, a triumph - thank you. Have a safe day, don't make yourself dizzy spinning yarns about elections and make pals with Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 again this morning. Archie has had a bit of a tummy upset yesterday but is OK today - although he was really slow on his walk and is now fast asleep. He is nearly 15¾ which is incredibly ancient for a chocolate Labrador.
Poor old Archie but amazing longevity. No wonder you like that Nespresso so much :D

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greetings one and all on the Feast of Saint John the Evangelist ante Portam Latinam - unusual bath. Another smile and wave day with Swipey yesterday continued this morning. I will, of course, never know what the situation would be sans Elsie. Today is SSSF complete with avo and toasted pine nuts. Frankly, if'n that offends the Pearl Clutchers © they may talk to the hand. @dunelm it sounds as though your experience of meat central mirrored mine last December when I enriched a Southampton eatery - Porterhuse for 2 at £100 - meh?? Thanks for the tree and safe journey. @dunelm and @SlimLizzy you both seem to have missed the essential ingredient - fresh, quality asparagus. JKP and I will be heading to Newmarket this afternoon for, hopefully, a repeat purchase of asparagus, strawberries and new potatoes. @gennephermore wonderful Tales from The Bungalow Garden (that cat is a monster) and the kaleidoscope was another triumph darling, a triumph - thank you. Have a safe day, don't make yourself dizzy spinning yarns about elections and make pals with Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby.
Thanks @ianpspurs
He is a big monster of a cat...

Reactions: dunelm

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, well nearly, late getting out of bed, really nice lay in, but the price is not enough time to catch up on posts and plinky plonky practice not done, Mrs J was up and about before me and has written a list tasks, a long list.
Blood sugars were 5.1.
Stay safe all and enjoy today.

Reactions: ianpspurs

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.7

The magpie was absolutely furious yesterday morning. He was hopping up and down my overhead electric cable to the garage, squawking his head off. So, I looked to see why he appeared to be attacking my garage roof.

Big long haired black cat was sitting at the end of the overhead electric cable on the corner of the garage roof. Mr Magpie was lunging repeatedly at big long haired black cat, who sat as still as stone, not moving and didn't even budge an inch, which infuriated Mr Magpie even further. Big long haired black cat just sat there stoically, even though his face was literally inches from Mr Magpie's onslaught. Big Black Cat didn't blink an eyelid and stared at Mr Magpie who was so agitated that he fell off the overhead electric cable.

Every bird alarm call possible is going on in my garden.

Big Black Cat is missing his left ear. I am now certain BBCat is a he. He is just a very very large cat with a heck of a thick fur coat.

I went out, he didn't move. But as soon as I got right by the garage, he slunk out of sight, but came back the second I came in...

He waited a short while and came down slowly and cautiously to feed on the cat diner. I decided to let him have one four course breakfast in peace....he ate everything. I went and did my breakfast, came back. Refilled cat dishes with two of wet food, and two of dry food. Got back in bed to eat breakfast. But BBCat was back. He ate a second four course breakfast.

BBCat is bigger than my little Hearing Dog Meg was. He is bigger than a small Jack Russell. He is a small Panther.
Here is a photo of him on my garage roof...

View attachment 54421

Last night he dropped by for supper, but I had cleared up the cat diner. He looked at the plate I had put out for the fox, and dived in...I hope BBCat apologises to Mr Fox..

Mr Magpie never came back yesterday. I think he was too embarrassed falling off that cable. But I think Mr Magpie knew that the BBCat would have made short work of him...as a tasty snack between his four course meals...

The elderly Mr&Mrs Blackbird came back yesterday. The elderly MrsB absolutely trusts me, but not so her husband. He was sounding alarm call after alarm call from my bungalow roof as I approached her as she was sampling the wet cat food which she seemed to think was delicious. It probably had some nutrients she needed. When elderly MrsB finally flew on to my bungalow roof, her husband scolded and scolded her for not listening to his alarm calls.

Shadow was waiting on the swing this morning, so I immediately went out and fed her, and sat with her until she had eaten her fill. At least I know she is fully fed. Then it was all the birds apart from Mr Magpie. The birds seem to really like the cat pate. I need to get some more...

Creative kaleidoscope in Laboscope today is my Russian Comfrey again. The buds of the purple flowers, but I liked the leaf pattern on this one.

Time for another coffee...

Oh dear, the bottomless pit has arrived, he is half hour late, BBCat usually arrives on the dot of 6:30 am...

View attachment 54419
Blimey - big black cat looks a bit of a rough diamond, no wonder the birds are making a fuss. Love our comfrey kaleidoscope. My mum used to put comfrey into the garden water barrel and also feed it to her goats if they had upset stomachs.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings one and all on the Feast of Saint John the Evangelist ante Portam Latinam - unusual bath. Another smile and wave day with Swipey yesterday continued this morning. I will, of course, never know what the situation would be sans Elsie. Today is SSSF complete with avo and toasted pine nuts. That menu almost certainly isn't clean keto/textbook Elsie but this is bare knuckle not Queensberry rules. @dunelm it sounds as though your experience of meat central mirrored mine last December when I enriched a Southampton eatery - Porterhuse for 2 at £100 - meh?? No 2 son enjoyed his birthday meal though. Thanks for the tree and safe journey. @dunelm and @SlimLizzy you both seem to have missed the essential ingredient - fresh, quality asparagus. JKP and I will be heading to Newmarket this afternoon for, hopefully, a repeat purchase of asparagus, strawberries and new potatoes. @gennepher more wonderful Tales from The Bungalow Garden (that cat is a monster) and the kaleidoscope was another triumph darling, a triumph - thank you. Have a safe day, don't make yourself dizzy spinning yarns about elections and make pals with Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby.
Yes, meat central was certainly not on par last night - oh no, missed opportunity for asparagus and so in season.

Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blimey - big black cat looks a bit of a rough diamond, no wonder the birds are making a fuss. Love our comfrey kaleidoscope. My mum used to put comfrey into the garden water barrel and also feed it to her goats if they had upset stomachs.
Thank you @dunelm
Interesting info about comfrey leaves...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He is doing really well @gennepher. For the past two years I have been taking photos of him in his favourite places thinking he won't live very much longer - but he is still here and still living a happy life.
I did that with Popeye for his last ten years, and carefully saved them all in the cloud @Krystyna23040
There were several occasions when I thought, this is it, but he pulled through again and yet again...

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.6

Well, Mr Magpie came back yesterday for the cat pate, but he was very very nervous, and managed to take a huge chunk back to his nest.

The gingers, The Four Mouseketeers, came in pairs. Ginger #1 (amber eyes), and Ginger #2 (green eyes), took turns watching each other feed.

Then Biscuit, followed by Manky Stray who is always the gentleman and he sat and waited for Biscuit to eat what he needed.

And the BBCat ate not only one four course breakfast, not two four course breakfasts, but three four course breakfasts, and then came back mid morning for more. He is one seriously hungry beast.

I went out this afternoon, to try and create my raised vegetable garden, which is containers on garden chairs. I cannot reach down any more, so I need everything at waist level. Then it began pouring with rain. So I was going to the end of the garden to get some apple mint for a cuppa, but I stopped suddenly because BBCat was asleep right in front of me on my shiny black garden chair.

I went up to see if he was okay, because he was absolutely drenched. He was so sound asleep. So I spoke gently. He raised his head, looked at me, and kept on blinking his eyes very slowly and very deeply at me as though he was moved by someone being kind to him.

I wasn't risking touching or reaching out for him. He might be a gentle giant for all I know, but I'll let him do the approaching...however I kept going out to see if he was okay in all that rain, sleeping in the open.

I was closing up the cat diner, when he came down the garden path. You want some supper, I asked? And I got him another sachet of cat food. But he hid while I went in and got it. Then came out and ate it when I had gone in and locked up.

Well, I have just googled what a slow blink of a cat's eyes mean.
"It’s often been rumored that a cat’s 'slow blink' is its way of saying, “I love you.” It’s even been called a 'cat kiss'! The truth is, we’ll never truly know what’s going on inside a kitty’s brain, but there’s evidence to suggest a cat slowly winking at its human means it trusts its companion.
The slow blink is a demonstration of eye contact without staring, and we interpret this behavior as a sign of relaxation and trust. Some might call that love.
Think of it this way: If a cat closes its eyes around like it’s falling asleep, it’s signaling that it doesn’t view you as a threat. "

So, that was like how it was between me and BBCat. The article goes on to suggest you do it back. I think I was doing it back, but I was speaking softly to him. BBCat is just a big soft pussycat who wants some love. But I wouldn't say I trust him just yet! The last sentence in the article suggests you extend your finger for the cat to sniff...I have no desire for a shredded finger...

Most of his size is an extraordinarily thick black coat. He could be a very thin cat under that. In fact, lying down on that chair he looked surprisingly sunken, if you get me.

Shadow paraded the garden a few times during the day, and kept asking for more food! I gave her all she asked for yesterday. And the gingers kept checking the food diner, so I provided extra for them as well!
Calico is not around at the moment.
It was hard work at gennepher's cat diner yesterday.
Hopefully things will settle today, Saturday...

Creative is the Russian Comfrey flowers again as a kaleidoscope in the Laboscope app. Shadow is on guard.

Can I hope for a more peaceful, less intensive day today?

Time for that coffee...

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: SlimLizzy