Clogs. Or something similar.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Does anyone know about wooden soled shoes (clogs?) with a leather upper? I think not having a flexible shoe might help me walk easier.
I also feel that now I am a lot older I could get away with wearing socks with sandles. (Bit of a wuss in my old age). Can I get clog sandles? Will I become even more of a fashion outcast?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Why would u want to wear socks with sandals?

A

Anonymous

Try crocs they are very good they allow your feet to breathe, my chiropodist recommend them, I have a pair of their toe post to wear in the house. £14 from amazon and a pair of their regular crocs from their website. They even have diabetic shoes as well, but their regular shoes are fine. Read the reviews some shoe designs you need to go up a size some you need to go Down. They have a sale on at the moment. I'm waiting on their winter diabetic shoe to go down further in the sale it's currently £39.99 at mo. they do more than just clogs, they do boots and enclosed shoes as well. They have silver in the lining with helps with getting rid of bacteria. If the mods delete this is fine, not trying to advertise just found something that's like wearing slippers on my feet.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
they wear clogs in operating theatres, just an idea when searching for them, its another angle

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Sarah69 said:
Why would u want to wear socks with sandals?

I used to wear sandals all year round, no socks even in the winter, even when riding my motorbike! But many years ago I resprayed my brother in laws car for him on a really hot sunny day. The overspray, which was cellulose paint, took the oil out of my feet and the sun burned them very badly. I have been in shoes ever since, or sometimes sandals with socks. (What is it about wearing socks with sandals???) I know Jesus probably never wore socks, but as a carpenter I feel I can stretch the point.

Thanks for the info on crocs mode. I think a local store sells them, or something like them.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I wear Fly Flot mules much of the time. Definitely WITHOUT socks. I have awkward feet and find socks cause me all kinds of problems. I'm better off without them in my trainers too.
Hana

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
The type of shoe you describe are popular in germany, I think they have cork soles and buckles. Not my cup of tea but, hey. Good luck, pal.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Try looking up Birkenstock. That was the manufacturer I'm thinking of. They're not the cheapest, but sturdy as you require.

Mart.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
mo1905 said:
No age allows the wearing of socks with sandals ! It's the law ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Trying to help re:suitable footwear. I have no issue with sandals, but I agree that the dead wouldn't be seen alive in socks and sandals! It's your call though and that's fine with me ;)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lrw60 said:
Does anyone know about wooden soled shoes (clogs?) with a leather upper? I think not having a flexible shoe might help me walk easier.
I also feel that now I am a lot older I could get away with wearing socks with sandles. (Bit of a wuss in my old age). Can I get clog sandles? Will I become even more of a fashion outcast?

Birkenstock have been making shoes since the 1700s and still make clogs in addition to more modern composite materials.

mens' clogs http://www.birkenstock.co.uk/MENS/CLOGS/

womens' clogs http://www.birkenstock.co.uk/WOMENS/CLOGS/

The Cork/Latex soles are worth looking at too.

I have had a lot of problems finding a good shoe as I have poor balance and osteoarthritis in my ankle. I bought a Camel Active Gore Tex walking shoe in Austria which turned out to be a god send. It looks like a trainer but is a mountain walking shoe, like a mountain boot but without the ankle support. It is firm and rigid but still with a little give. I am much more footsure with this than any other shoe. There are many makes but Gore Tex allows the shoe to be built robustly but remain relatively light. A leather equivalent would be way too heavy whereas a normal trainer would quickly feel loose and not give the correct support. I was able to walk most of the day on steep mountain trails whereas a few weeks ago I had difficulty walking around a supermarket. They are to be found at Outdoor Persuits shops and look like this shoe from Meindl:

18328305_l.jpg

I also used trecking sticks by the way and noticed that a lot of people use them for walking around the streets. You don't lean on them, they just give you a little reassurance as to balance.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I thought I mentioned Birkenstock a while ago?

Stupid Blackberry.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Birkenstock makes great sandals that are worth the money.
Hi, you've just posted in an eight-year-old thread. You're unlikely to get many replies from the original posters....

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Birkenstock makes great sandals that are worth the money.
Hi, you've just posted in an eight-year-old thread. You're unlikely to get many replies from the original posters....
I got a pair of clogs from Amazon Au at a reasonable price, and they are made by Crocs.

They are available in unisex and all sorts of colours of the rainbow and more, they come in a lot of sizes as well.

This is for the peeople now that would also want to know, not only the OP.

https://www.amazon.com.au/crocs-Mens-Clog/dp/B079V1HW3Q

chipstel

I ordered a pair of cheap Birkenstock UK from shoesexpress.co.uk. They were stylish, comfortable, cute and great for long walks. Are you looking for Birkenstock UK