Yearly 'MOT' - whose responsible for reminding?

FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly!
Hi there,

Have just become aware that it must be over a year now since my last yearly Type II Diabetic MOT, so am wondering whose responsibility it is for reminding - mine or my GPs? I am on 1500mg of Metformin.

Thanks

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Ultimately its us, the only thing the GP is responsible for is pocketing the ~£2000pa bounty on our heads :twisted:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Yup. Me too. I got a letter about my Retina scan, but no letter from the Docs.

louiseb

My gp practice usually send me out a letter for my anual review at diabetic clinic.

I was due an appointment at the start of this month, so I phoned as I had not received a letter yet which I should have had last month as the letters are sent a few weeks before the appointment date, to allow time for blood tests to be done. When I phoned the receptionist informed me that the daibetic clinic is running 5-6 months behind so 12 month review could end up being an 18 month review :evil:

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
louiseb said:
When I phoned the receptionist informed me that the daibetic clinic is running 5-6 months behind so 12 month review could end up being an 18 month review :evil:

I'd like to know what they would say if the £2000 payment was going to be 6 months late!

Ann

smitha48

Ann19 said:
louiseb said:
When I phoned the receptionist informed me that the daibetic clinic is running 5-6 months behind so 12 month review could end up being an 18 month review :evil:

I'd like to know what they would say if the £2000 payment was going to be 6 months late!

Ann

If they're not 'treating' you, why not let the Govt know and see if you can get the payment stopped!! thatmight make them get their fingers out :lol:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I go for my 6 monthly check My nurse fills out a printed slip with all my results on and what they should be so I can compare.

At the bottom it lists all the things like blood test, feet, eyes, clinic and she puts in when I need to make appointments for - ok it's not a reminder in the post but it does lay things out for the next six months so I know where I am. Though I do get appointments for my eye check from the hospital directly

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I always leave my current appointment with blood test form for the next appointment and a target month to have it done. It's then up to me to book the doctors appoinment nearer the time. Always ask about your next appointment at the current one, ensure you have a blood test form, urine test tube etc and then take control. Never rely on the surgery to send a letter or setuan appoinment. You are entitled to a review at least once a year and the surgery has no excuse e.g. being too busy as others have said the GPs are paid to do the job at least annually.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My Health Centre runs an "annual review" reminder scheme.I don't think that's often enough, so I arrange at least one other HbA1c.
thing is
you're the one with T2D so if they are inefficient, you have to organise it
Hana

Unbeliever

I am supposed to have 3 monthly HBA1Cs but mty GP practice can't cope wih such a concept. Every time t ry to book one I get a letter telling me my annual review is due. 4 a year? Maybe I should just take them up on it!
I think it stems from determination to do nothing for which they don't get the maximum possible payment.

FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly!
Thanks for all your responses!

Update: Decided to wait and see what happened and sure enough got a reminder in the post at end May from my GP, to go and gets bloods and urine done!

However, I've been a naughty girl and latest results reflected this, so agreed to work hard with diet and exercise and go and get repeat bloods done in 3 months. If no improvement, on to more tablets, e.g. statins!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Feline, do your homework re statins, they arent nice.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
louiseb said:
My gp practice usually send me out a letter for my anual review at diabetic clinic.

I was due an appointment at the start of this month, so I phoned as I had not received a letter yet which I should have had last month as the letters are sent a few weeks before the appointment date, to allow time for blood tests to be done. When I phoned the receptionist informed me that the daibetic clinic is running 5-6 months behind so 12 month review could end up being an 18 month review :evil:
Insist - there is no excuse - he has a duty of care & the time he will waste on you is not significant. He might just pass you on to the nurse.

Or - Ask for the appointment/review 6 months before it is due in future!

MaryJ

The way I look at is this:

I only have me to remember, they have x number of patients.

So I make my own appts

Mary x

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
dawnmc said:
Feline, do your homework re statins, they arent nice.

I was put on a 80mg dose of atorvastatin about 6 months ago.. Apart from the tablet being the size of a saloon car, ive not had any side effects from it

I got my annual checkup letter and have had the bloods done.. Hab1c Gone up from 7.2 to 10.2 and already had a letter from the doctor requesting i book an appointment to discuss the results.. However i think i shall ignore that letter and discuss it with the nurse later this month

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you are offered statins be aware that they have nothing to do with diabetes sugar levels; they 'simply' keep your cholesterol down and you need to decide what level you want to achieve and note that if you get liver or muscle pains with statins, stop them and tell the GP. If you do need more meds to keep the Hba1c down then your GP is lilely to increase your Metformin or add gliclazide etc.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
searley said:
I got my annual checkup letter and have had the bloods done.. Hab1c Gone up from 7.2 to 10.2 and already had a letter from the doctor requesting i book an appointment to discuss the results.. However i think i shall ignore that letter and discuss it with the nurse later this month

It's none of my business of course, but 10.2% is very high (it represents an average BG of more than 13mmol/l). You should really meet with your Doctor and discuss changes to your regime, at those levels you are very likely to suffer long term complications. Sounds like you need some help in getting your BG under control.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
borofergie said:
searley said:

It's none of my business of course, but 10.2% is very high (it represents an average BG of more than 13mmol/l). You should really meet with your Doctor and discuss changes to your regime, at those levels you are very likely to suffer long term complications. Sounds like you need some help in getting your BG under control.

I calculated my average to be 15.9. With lows of about 9 and highs of about 22 :D

The doctor wont change anything as im still under the care of a consultant. I do however know why things have slipped.

I dont have breakfast so no insulin then. And ive not been having insulin with my lunch, so by evening meal,time im already quite high. As im out and about with my job a lot i dont like injecting when others are about.. If i leave my kit on the desk in the morning and i get called out i tend to not take the kit with me as i forget or dont like having a man bag with me all the time. Cant leave the kit in my van as it would cook.

Sometimes i think i would refer a pump, as its a little more discrete and would be attached, but i doubt they would even consider giving me one and i could afford to self fund so i will have to make the best of the situation :)

wendle

well i had to argue with my nurse last friday and demand the hba1c test i shouldve had in may. she said i wasnt due until dec but im supposed to get tested every 3 months. im still peeved about it although i did get the test done after she'd double checked my notes.