Arrested for drunk and disorderly

Status
Not open for further replies.

s10vsb

andywright said:
Just a thought but could it be possible that the origanal post was written by someone having a hypo?
Nope, If I was having a hypo, the last thing I would have been be doing is typing cohiriantly on my laptop.

s10vsb

Elc1112 said:
I don't understand why you thought you'd go into a coma if you took your Lantus? Your blood sugars were dangerously high. A long-lasting insulin like Lantus shouldn't bring your sugars crashing down. If it usually does then I would suggest you are taking too much!

Yes, the police have to take care of you while you're in custody. Being diabetic they need to e sure that you have access to dextrose, insulin and so on. I completely understand that. What I don't understand is why you didn't take your insulin when it was offered to you? Surely it wouldn't have brough your sugars crashing down from 21 to severe hypo in a matter of hours?!

So how long was I going to be locked in a cell for after I took it without my dextrose?...a matter of how many hours?....you tell me cos the police wouldn't.

Embabe25

If you actually had a hypo the police would have actually helped you!

What they did was let you have you're temper tantrum then tested your blood.

You must have really kicked off for them to lift you in the first place! Don't use your illness as a way of getting out if behaving like a tit!

Just saying!

Em x

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
s10vsb said:
All comments appreciated....however, if you were out with a friend staying at your house 25 miles away from where she lived and told to leave the city without her, would you go without her? Where would she stay? You're allowed one phone call AFTER you've been arrested so why didn't they allow me one before my arrest? Where did my friend spend the night? Answers on a post card please. I had no idea what my blood sugar was when I was taken to my cell, I was on my way home to do my routine check and take my lantus... alcohol drops your blood sugar.....They had proof I was diabetic cos I had my pen and dextrose....why didn't they check my blood sugar before they took me to the cell?....Thank god I hadn't taken my lantus...you know your own body best...after a drink I have bottles of lucozade by my bed cos I know I'll need them.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

They didn't say you had to go home. Just leave the town centre as they do with all drunk people when they are making a nuisance of themselves. All you had to do was walk away trombone police and call your friend

You are the one who aggravated the situation by 'kicking off' and now you bruised pride is trying to make it the police's fault.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not a case of needing dextrose when un be known to me my bs is high, you should know, having diabetes is like having a car without a petrol gage. You don't know you've run out of petrol until you get a the sumptoms of a hypo which is petrifieng. You'll never know it's too high untill you get ketones and you know the effects of that. If you have Lantus only and nothing else to eat all day, your blood sugar should stay the same for 24 hrs...not for me...I have to take 4 units of novo rapid when I wake up or it just rises throughout the day, I have to give myself 2 units for dinner and tea too and increase it if I eat....Every diabetic knows how their body works.[/quote]

If my BG was 21 I would definitely know! I can tell if it goes above 12. I can also tell when it's dropping rapidly even if in not hypo, that gives me time to sort it. And I've only been diagnosed 10 weeks.

If you've had it 17 years and lost awareness I would say it was irresponsible to be getting drunk enough to be arrested for being drunk and disorderly!

weeezer

What a frightening experience you had. I know I've been in situations where my judgement has been clouded by a few alcoholic beverages! My bg usually drops after drinking, but not all the time, sometime it actually goes up when I least expect that reaction (not after sugary or carby stuff either, i'm talking red wine & rum/diet coke)

I'm sure none of us are perfect and know what you're trying to get at, that you didnt want to leave your friend (and a bit tipsy, you were probably quite anxious/agitated about the situation) and that above that, the police should have got you to test your bg immediately, to see what course if action was needed before putting you in a locked room away from your lifeline of insulin/dextrose. Frightening.

Sounds like they need a refresher about how to treat a diabetic person & what the potential outcome could be should they ignore their condition. I can see how being unaware of your bg level and being without your dextrose must have felt terrifying. (How would you know you were 21!? I test 4-8 times a day and have found myself in the twenties after forgetting to bolus for some cake! It was 2 hours after and I was 23, didnt 'feel' or 'know' was high. does this make me irresponsible or just human!? I was shocked and frightened but remedied it quickly with insulin. On a pump so no background insulin, so resulted in a sharp rise)

Perhaps it would be worth asking the police what their protocol/procedure is when they take a diabetic person in? Im curious to know now, maybe i'll enquire at my local police station too. After reading about the dvla and their complete lack of knowledge regarding certain aspects of diabetes, I think it's foolish to assume all figures of authority know what to do...or understand how low/high blood glucose levels affect us and how they need treating. Gosh, even some doctors I've been in contact with dont grasp it entirely.

I just wanted to say I feel your frustration, if the police took my insulin, tester & glucose away I'd feel completely vulnerable. And had you the gift of hindsight, you might have walked off quietly, but at the time was just trying to be a concerned and responsible friend.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI,S10vsb, :)

Sorry you had a bad experience.

You haven't a leg to stand on because you were legless comes to mind in this case.

Being arrested 17 days ago with 17 years experience of diabetes type 1. May I suggest you spend 17 hours training in how to be reasonable when dealing with a simple police request.

My wife just told me off for being hypocritical.

Good luck

Roy :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
izzzi said:
May I suggest you spend 17 hours training in how to be reasonable when dealing with a simple police request.

My wife just told me off for being hypocritical.

Woman passenger apologises to police officer for the behaviour of her husband who is driving the car. 'Don't mind him officer, he's pi**ed''

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Embabe25 said:
If you actually had a hypo the police would have actually helped you!

What they did was let you have you're temper tantrum then tested your blood.

You must have really kicked off for them to lift you in the first place! Don't use your illness as a way of getting out if behaving like a tit!

Just saying!

Em x

Love it! Well said hen

blackcat79

What a load of heartless ppl there is on here! I would have thought being diabetic is hard enough without getting harsh words from ppl that are ment to understand this awful illness and support each other. That it was a place to get that while its not easy to get in our lifes wih those that dont get the whole diabetes thing. Im very disappointed to have read such heartless uncaring and lack of understand on here tho not the first ive read seen it to be honest. :x:x:x:x

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
to be honest. :x:x:x

That is what being part of this Forum is all about.
Please have respect what is said from most members. Sometimes "spur of the moment" is written then second thoughts may come after reading other members views.
We are not perfect. For all we know that policeman who made the arrest may have been a diabetic.

We are discussing a drunk person that just happens to be a Diabetic that has not got a mobile phone and losses a friend in a area where he/she is not present.(what happened to the friend in need)

We all must take the good and bad, but our self-control is important at all times,meaning don't get drunk.

Harsh don't think so !
Roy, :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sunhat said:
I do not understand the insuline etc as I am a type 2 on tablets, but if I were asked to leave a town center by the police I would have moved on. Could you not have rung your friend on your mobile phone? That would have saved you and the police a lot of bother. The police have a hell of a job to do with folk getting drunk and being a pain in town centers, especially weekends!

Hi there, not including diabetes at the moment, I have watched Police documentaries regarding the weekend drinkers and they turn into drunks, that want to beat up everyone, tell everyone they are not drunk, argue till they are blue in the face, become extremely aggressive and a big pain in the backside to boot. trying to get a drunk or a person who is having an hypo, not enough food and too much Insulin is often the problem and alcohol can lower the blood sugars dramatically, causing a serious hypo which would need carbs to get the blood sugar back up to a good level, and some diabetics, in this case, can also do all of the above as well.

RRB

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
blackcat79 said:
What a load of heartless ppl there is on here! I would have thought being diabetic is hard enough without getting harsh words from ppl that are ment to understand this awful illness and support each other. That it was a place to get that while its not easy to get in our lifes wih those that dont get the whole diabetes thing. Im very disappointed to have read such heartless uncaring and lack of understand on here tho not the first ive read seen it to be honest. :x:x:x:x

The majority here are very understanding and caring. I think people just get frustrated when they read stories like this. Diabetes is not an excuse for poor, irresponsible behaviour. I believe the police acted as best they could, given the situation.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
mo1905 said:
blackcat79 said:

The majority here are very understanding and caring. I think people just get frustrated when they read stories like this. Diabetes is not an excuse for poor, irresponsible behaviour. I believe the police acted as best they could, given the situation.

Couldn't agree more, well said

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

andywright

s10vsb said:
andywright said:
Just a thought but could it be possible that the origanal post was written by someone having a hypo?
Nope, If I was having a hypo, the last thing I would have been be doing is typing cohiriantly on my laptop.

Fair enough :D Unfortanately for me I'm very coherently when having a hypo which causes people no end of confusion when I go low because the only clue tends to be me getting very aggresive and unpleasant(and no I do not use hypos as an excuse before anyone starts trying to acuse me of any untruths) and yes your right we all know our own condition and how it effects us individually and its a life class that we never stop learning. But it is not fair to be angry with the police because they know considerbly less about diabetes then we do(youve had 17 years to learn they have'nt).

weeezer

Did anyone read about the 25 year old man from Taunton (I think), he was weaving in & out of traffic near his home so the police took him in & chucked him in a cell...to sober up presumably. He died in their care, he had mental health issues and had had drug problems also. His parent believe if he'd have had prompt medical treatment he would be alive today.

It makes you think, wonder...if a diabetic person was taken in and was excessively high (with ketones) or low, how long before treatment was sought? Because both those scenarios require fast action. And both those scenarios could pass as drunken behaviour. Both times, failure to treat swiftly could result in serious problems, even death.

Who's to say that op wouldn't have tested bg when home @1 and had elevated levels, they may have corrected & then had levemir as usual...or based on past exp they may have known their levels would have dropped so chose not to correct. They most likely wouldn't have had a bgl of 21 @4.30am so it's unfair to judge.

Without my 'tools' (meter, insulin, glucose) I may have been unwilling to take my usual dose as normal, if, as the op pointed out, I didnt know at what point i was allowed these essential tools back to monitor my situation. And more importantly, glucose.

Op may have been in the wrong but in my opinion the police were also.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'll give you a story of what happened to me 25+ years ago....

I was opening up a new store. I went hypo.. No recognition....
My staff knew I wasnt well, but didnt know what to do.
They phoned my boyfriend... But left me alone.

Whilst making the phone call, I wandered out from the store.. I took the store keys, safe keys etc...

5 hours later, covered in mud and scratches I was found by a motorist on a dual carriageway. He almost apprently knocked me down... But initially he thought I was drunk... But I wasnt.

This gentleman who I only knew as Steve, got me to hospital.

There is more detail to this, BUT I want to emphasise how lucky I was... And why I dont like to hear of drunk diabetics out of control...

This chap Steve did a LOT for me.... He saved my life... He didnt know me...

A few things....

I sound harsh about drunks and hypo's... But I was lucky that Steve helped me.if I had been drunk as well... Well I dont think I would have still been here.

That incident got me back in control..raised my levels.. Got my hypo awareness back.... And my life.

It has made me incredibly aware of the stupidity of drinking and diabetes.. If I had been drunk.. I would have been left on a dual carriageway....

Also, I lost 5 hours of my life to this one episode.

Please, dont get out of control with drinking and diabetes..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
By the way, I was helped by Steve .. 5 miles from my store.. Had walked it... And I came fully compus mentus at 11pm that night and was back in work opening ip store at 6am.

Please dont mix drunk and diabetes.... If you do people like Steve will never help anybody else in my circumstances.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please dont mix drunk and diabetes...
Well said, Donnellysdogs.
Something we all must be clear of, regarding alcohol. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
izzzi said:
Please dont mix drunk and diabetes...
Well said, Donnellysdogs.
Something we all must be clear of, regarding alcohol. :)

I'm not a drinker at all, except for maybe a snowball at Christmas. Male, female, young or older, just be sensible and careful when drinking alcohol :|

Best wishes RRB :)

Status
Not open for further replies.