Levemir problem

kev4182

Hi have been taking my levemir for 2years now and have started to forget if have taken it, which is a problem.
I started to write down when I was taking it and where it was going but I have started a new job, which means I have to take it during the day (10.30am).

I am thing about moving the time to early morning (7am) but unsure ATM. Does anyone have any better ideas?
Also have problem with low blood sugar level during the day but when I change the amount to lower dose my sugar level goes very high. Does anyone have any better ideas?

Completed the dafne course 2-3 months ago now but still having problems.

Thank you

Kevin

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Levemir problem

Hey Kevin,

First off the moving the time sounds like a good idea. I do my levemir at 7am and 7pm and that seems to work quite nicely.

As for the highs and lows it sound like maybe QA ratios may need to be tweaked but without a week or so of logs to look at it's hard to be sure. Probably best if you ping your DAFNE educator and ask for their advice, they should still be in touch with you as I seem to recall I had a 6 month follow up where we covered a few things that were handy.

Maybe it is worth doing some carb free breakfasts and lunches just to check out your BI levels are good? Of course with you being at a new job it could well be physical / mental activity or stress.. who knows... **** trickys sugars ;)

Good luck mate.

A

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Hi,

I can't say anymore than Andy - best to check BI first by omitting carbs, record results, look for patterns, then if that's staying pretty steady look at your QA.

Trial and error, i've done DAFNE too and i've learnt to accept that it changes constantly but still keep a record of my readings to see for trends/patterns.

Also carry a bag of jelly babies, great to keep those low sugar moments at bay !

Good luck :thumbup:

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Yes I found taking levermir at 7am suited me well , I was also told it was important to try to keep to the same time very day so choose a time that suited me and try to keep it at that time am and pm although I actually find the pm dose is harder to keep to time ,

kev4182

Thanks for the replies. Going to move levemir to 7am and see if that helps.
Good news did my levemir this morning.

I have noticed my sugar drops very low after 1pm so now have two sugar with my tea at 1pm, which means my sugar level is 4/5. Normally 3 at that time.

I will let you know how it goes. :)

Thanks

Kevin

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I take mine at bedtime e.g. 11:00pm once a day. This makes it more of a ritual that I don't forget. As it's peak is around 6-8 hours after injecting I feel it helps me have breakfast without taking a bolus?

LaughingHyena

Do you have breakfast each day? I would try moving your Levimir to go with that.

I found it much easier to remember injections which were paired up with a meal, even when it meant my doses were not strictly 12 hours apart.

You can use levimir catridges in the novopen echo, which has a display on the cap which tells you how many units you last took and when, might be worth asking if you could have one of those to help you keep track. Takes a bit of getting used to as it's a half unit pen, so have to count twice the number of clicks for each unit you dial up.

I've also heard of a cap you can put on your pen which tells you when it was last used. I think it's called Time insulin or something like that.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was going to say the same as Hyena, the novopen echo is very useful.

I have two dose a day of Levemir and I've got it into my routine now.

Wake up - test - levemir dose - choose breakfast - novorapid dose - eat - 10 hours servitude

go to bed - test - levemir dose - 6 hours sleep (if i'm lucky)

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a reoccurring alarm on my phone to remind me to take my levemir (once a day at 8pm). I try and make sure I take it before I switch the alarm off. Have also just got an echo pen which I use for my novarapid and they are really good so that's also a great idea. I think that you can get them in different colours so you can differentiate between different insulin.