Diabetes diet question

Based on the type of diabetic you are please choose one of the following

• Total voters
C

catherinecherub

Yes, I'd like to know the reason for this poll and what you intend to do with the data you collect.
I have noticed that lapsed members on another forum are being asked to give their answers.

Without a meter, any advice given to Type 2s has to rely on an HBA1c to see if it is working.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Wonder if all the members on here on the Newcastle Diet have answered?

As even though that's predominantly a carb diet, it fits the profile.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Yes, I'd like to know the reason for this poll and what you intend to do with the data you collect.
I have noticed that lapsed members on another forum are being asked to give their answers.

Without a meter, any advice given to Type 2s has to rely on an HBA1c to see if it is working.

I have no control over "lapsed members of another forum". If people are voting on here they must have active DCUK accounts and want to participate. They have as much right to vote as anyone else or totally ignore the threads.

As to the purpose then some DUK members (some are also DCUK members here and elsewhere) following on from recent events are getting some information together for a possible presentation and asked if I would post a couple of questions here. I thought the questions were interesting and therefore agreed to post them in the same way I found the DUK low carb debate power point presentations interesting and posted links to them here and elsewhere last week.

I didn't reveal any particular reason so as not to bias the results. That is also why (apart from voting) I have not commented on either poll thread. In any event the data can not be used without DCUK's consent and I'm sure they, like me, would insist it was anonymised etc. if it were ever requested to be used.

Prior to posting the polls I informed Giverny and DCUK of the exact text of the questions and asked their consent which was given yesterday. I also told them of the possible use of the data collected.

The polls are not in anyway official or meant to be a scientific sample however the forum an obvious place to start.

If you have issues with them then take them up with DCUK admin. If they believe I am doing anything wrong then I'm quite happy for both threads to be deleted.

As the OP I would ask that if you wish to debate "the reasons" for the poll rather than simply answering the poll question or posting relevant comments about the question that you start a separate thread to do so as otherwise it will risk hijacking and derailing this one. Consequently I will not answer any further questions to "the reasons" on this thread.

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have no control over "lapsed members of another forum". If people are voting on here they must have active DCUK accounts and want to participate. They have as much right to vote as anyone else or totally ignore the threads.

As to the purpose then some DUK members (some are also DCUK members here and elsewhere) following on from recent events are getting some information together for a possible presentation and asked if I would post a couple of questions here. I thought the questions were interesting and therefore agreed to post them in the same way I found the DUK low carb debate power point presentations interesting and posted links to them here and elsewhere last week.

I didn't reveal any particular reason so as not to bias the results. That is also why (apart from voting) I have not commented on either poll thread. In any event the data can not be used without DCUK's consent and I'm sure they, like me, would insist it was anonymised etc. if it were ever requested to be used.

Prior to posting the polls I informed Giverny and DCUK of the exact text of the questions and asked their consent which was given yesterday. I also told them of the possible use of the data collected.

The polls are not in anyway official or meant to be a scientific sample however the forum an obvious place to start.

If you have issues with them then take them up with DCUK admin. If they believe I am doing anything wrong then I'm quite happy for both threads to be deleted.

As the OP I would ask that if you wish to debate "the reasons" for the poll rather than simply answering the poll question or posting relevant comments about the question that you start a separate thread to do so as otherwise it will risk hijacking and derailing this one. Consequently I will not answer any further questions to "the reasons" on this thread.

Thanks for the response.
It's an interestingly worded question you have been given though.
It only needs 1 out of 6 to be a yes, which is near enough a dead cert for any T1, and any T2 that has improved their diet in any way at all will also probably have at least one yes, as the list is the classic " avoid" food on any plan.

Reactions: 2 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the response.
It's an interestingly worded question you have been given though.
It only needs 1 out of 6 to be a yes, which is near enough a dead cert for any T1, and any T2 that has improved their diet in any way at all will also probably have at least one yes, as the list is the classic " avoid" food on any plan.

Hi Douglas well yes and no ...

The 6 items were originally intended to be just examples of why people who vote YES would possibly do so but they do seem to have taken on their own lives. I can't really do anything about that though as it is the posters want to post comments as well as vote that's up to them.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be interesting to get the forum memberships views on dietary regimes so here is a simple question for people to answer if they wish to join in.

Question

Have you found that notably reducing the amount of rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals, and other flour-based foods that you eat has helped with your diabetes control?

Helping with your diabetes control means one or more of the following things.

1) It significantly lowered your hBA1c -Yes
2) It helped you lose weight. - Yes, although I also gave portion size quite a bit of attention.
3) It minimise
s or has reduced the medication you need to take. - I have never taken medication.
4) It reduced the amount of insulin you use. -N/a
5) It significantly reduced the frequency of hypos. - N/a
6) It has controlled or even reversed diabetic complications you were suffering. - Fortunately, I appear to be free of complications, thus far.

Please answer the simple POLL question first using the tool shown at the TOP of the thread.

If you want to expand on the polls simple yes or no answer by for example commenting on each of the 6 points that have been listed then please make additional posts on the thread.

If you have been kind enough to answer this question perhaps you would like to answer this one as well :)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetes-advice-question.54422/

Thanks

Grazer

Just to say, I'm one of those "lapsed" members who voted. Voted "yes".

Reactions: 5 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Perhaps you would care to look at these two polls that have already covered the reduced carb diets with much more straight forward questions too.

Do you follow the advice on reducing carbs given to the new members on this site?
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/do-you-follow-a-reduced-carb-diet.20864/

How many carbohydrates do you consume per day ?
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-consume-per-day.20719/
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-consume-per-day.20719/

And these were questions asked of the members here not those asked to come here and vote from another forum ;)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Perhaps you would care to look at these two polls that have already covered the reduced carb diets with much more straight forward questions too.

Do you follow the advice on reducing carbs given to the new members on this site?
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/do-you-follow-a-reduced-carb-diet.20864/
How many carbohydrates do you consume per day ?

With respect Sid both of those threads have been inactive for a number of years so for example the data for one that is measuring how long people have been low carbing is now well out of date.

The second poll goes back to the time of the original administration of the site. It has been stated many times before on this forum (notably by Phoenix I think) that the results of that poll are inaccurate as it was originally posted during the "carb wars" era and the polling system on the DCUK site at that time was known to be open to abuse where people could vote both anonymously and multiple times over. This is a totally valid criticism imo. These new polls done under the new site are recording who has voted each way and appear not to be able to be falsified.

I'm sure Giverny as a super tech head is keeping a very close eye on who is voting and how they are doing it.

If I was trying to give some low carb bias as you seem to be implying then that poll would have been an excellent one for me to have reopened as it shows that back when it originated 80% of the participants (100 of the 125 people who said they counted carbs) said they were on a 130g or less diet i.e. on a 25% or less carbohydrate regime.

If you have issues with this thread the contact admin. If they decide its inappropriate they can delete it along with its sister thread I've made that clear previously.

If you want to debate the validity of the threads methods please do so on another thread that you create because as the OP I wish this to be a thread about collecting answers for the poll NOT a discussion about polls.

If you want to start your own polls on your own subjects then do so I will be more than willing to constructively participate.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
With respect Sid both of those threads have been inactive for a number of years so for example the data for one that is measuring how long people have been low carbing is now out of well out of date.

The second poll goes back to the time of the original administration of the site. It has been stated many times before on this forum (notably by Phoenix I think) that the results of that poll are inaccurate as it was originally posted during the "carb wars" era and the polling system on the DCUK site at that time was known to be open to abuse where people could vote both anonymously and multiple times over. This is a totally valid criticism imo. These new polls done under the new site are recording who has voted each way and appear not to be able to be falsified.

I'm sure Giverny as a super tech head is keeping a very close eye on who is voting and how they are doing it.

If I was trying to give some low carb bias as you seem to be implying then that poll would have been an excellent one for me to have reopened as it shows that back when it originated 80% of the participants (100 of the 125 people who said they counted carbs) said they were on a 130g or less diet i.e. on a 25% or less carbohydrate regime.

If you have issues with this thread the contact admin. If they decide its inappropriate they can delete it along with its sister thread I've made that clear previously.

If you want to debate the validity of the threads methods please do so on another thread that you create because as the OP I wish this to be a thread about collecting answers for the poll NOT a discussion about polls.

If you want to start your own polls on your own subjects then do so I will be more than willing to constructively participate.

Steve

I don't think anyone could successfully use this poll for proof low carbs work. Equally, it could be simple portion control that had the effect, so it's just as useable by any camp that argues some restraint in diet works.
Even the NHS could use this poll to show reducing portion size to the eatwell plate has a good effect, if you look at what is actually on the plate.
Any type of restraint seems to improve our condition, I'm sure we all agree.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't think anyone could successfully use this poll for proof low carbs work..

I don't think those that came up with the question intend that either. The way the question is worded and the foods listed seem to make it clear it is effectively whether reducing starch has helped people of all diabetic types imo.

I would (like most rationale people I suspect) infer that this is a question that is attempting to determine if the current recommendations for starch in diets need to be looked at if you are diabetic. There is no mention of exercise, sugar, vegetables, fruit , fat, legumes, portion control or carb counting all of which are obviously important. The question is very specific imo.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Question

Have you found that notably reducing the amount of rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals, and other flour-based foods that you eat has helped with your diabetes control?

I haven't voted because I don't use a meter as yet and am only recently diagnosed. However, In answer to the specific question, I have notably reduced the above starchy foods but not cut them out altogether. I don't eat rice or pasta anyway and have cut out breakfast cereals. I still eat granary bread and potatoes but in much smaller quantities than before using the Glycemic Load calculation. I have lost 13lbs since the end of January, so doing this has probably helped. However, I have also virtually cut out alcohol, all sweet stuff, and reduced the amount of fat I was eating. So basically have no idea what has helped the most in losing weight.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
With respect Sid both of those threads have been inactive for a number of years so for example the data for one that is measuring how long people have been low carbing is now well out of date.

Steve

What will you be doing with the collective answers to your/this OP poll ?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I don't think this was ever intended to be a scientific study. Pretty sure there's no ulterior motive either. If you don't agree with it just don't vote.

Reactions: 8 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What will you be doing with the collective answers to your/this OP poll ?

I have answered that extensively Anna in my reply to Catherine. If you want any more detail then ask Giverny and DCUK. Thank you.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't think those that came up with the question intend that either. The way the question is worded and the foods listed seem to make it clear it is effectively whether reducing starch has helped people of all diabetic types imo.

I would (like most rationale people I suspect) infer that this is a question that is attempting to determine if the current recommendations for starch in diets need to be looked at if you are diabetic. There is no mention of exercise, sugar, vegetables, fruit , fat, legumes, portion control or carb counting all of which are obviously important. The question is very specific imo.

It's very vague.

If what you mean is,

Question
"Have you found that notably reducing only the amount of rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals, and other flour-based foods that you eat has helped with your diabetes control, without altering any other aspect of your lifestyle "

Indeed, you would have a question that refers specifically to a none starchy diet.
However, as most, if not all of us have reduced sugar, increased exercise, as well as reducing starchy veg, among many other changes, it's unlikely you would get any answers.
It'll be interesting to see the response you get when you present a selected part of a lifestyle change to any other group.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
it strikes me as very odd that anyone would mind this poll, whats the issue? if you don't like it, don't vote, if its used to produce a directive you disagree with, ignore it, make your own poll asking about low calorie diets or licking frogs backs, whats it matter?

Reactions: 10 people

Bob67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it strikes me as very odd that anyone would mind this poll, whats the issue? if you don't like it, don't vote, if its used to produce a directive you disagree with, ignore it, make your own poll asking about low calorie diets or licking frogs backs, whats it matter?
Its just the way of the douggie:facepalm:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can we keep my thread on track pretty please with a cherry on top. We wouldn't want to get them locked for straying off the subject would we?

Reactions: 5 people