Do you follow a reduced carb diet?

Do you follow the advice on reducing carbs given to the new members on this site?

• Yes - I have done for over 5 years

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Yes - I have done for over 4 years

• Yes - I have done for over 3 years

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Yes - Other

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Yes - I have done for over 2 years

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Yes - I have done for over 1 year

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Yes - I have done for under 1 year

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • No - but I am thinking about doing so

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • No - I just follow the advice of my HCP

• No - I eat as many carbs as I like

• Total voters

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the light of the revised stance on reducing carbs by DUK and their notion of lack of evidence that it works, I thought a poll would be a good indicator of the amount of people on this forum who have taken up the advice given when new members join http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088 (even if they weren't newly diagnosed).

I'd been given the advice by my HCP about reducing sugar intake and not a word about what other carbs do. I'm not interested in how many or how few carbs you eat or what the rest of your diet contains, just whether you have reduced carbs.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nigel

I would say this poll is different as it is asking if you do reduce carbs and if so, for how long you have been doing so.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suspect, I'm not alone in that none of your categories fit me. I neither follow a reduced carb diet nor stick rigidly to what my HCP has said, (if I did I would have a very rigid schedule with set amounts of carbs and insulin for each meal)However, I'm also selective about the type of carb containing foods I eat.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just realised that I had over 3 years listed twice, so have changed it to other, so anyone who follows their own diet can put it there

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's the problem: We are NEVER going to be given ALL of the information we need in order to make an informed decision on how to treat our own condition.

The latest guidance is a step in the right direction, but we all know there's never going to be a one-size-fits-all recommendation.

We ALL have to take responsibility for our own treatment, and unfortunately, that means trial and error.

The "eat, test, then adjust" cycle.

Those that blindly follow the advice of their health care team will only enjoy limited success, as their advice needs to cover as large a section of us as possible. We won't ALL benefit from the same advice.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Strange I know......I find myself agreeing with Patch on this one........ :?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
That's funny....I do too.....must be something in the air ! :lol: :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry - that CAN'T be right.

Could you both just give my last post a second read through just to be sure? :wink:

C

catherinecherub

This advice wasn't around when I joined the forum. I was given the basics, (which proved to be exceptionally good) by my G.P. and used my meter to suss out what suited me. I also did a lot of research on the internet and in books.

I have to agree with Patch.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
All that sugar from the chocolate eggs I've eaten this easter must be fueling my brain and allowing me to think straight for the first time in 5+ years...

Except - I haven't eaten any chocolate eggs, or any other carbs for that matter this easter, so... Go figure? 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
The latest guidance is a step in the right direction, but we all know there's never going to be a one-size-fits-all recommendation.

Crikey!!!! :shock:................ I never thought I would see the day Patch!!!! :D

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
))Denise(( said:
Nigel

I would say this poll is different as it is asking if you do reduce carbs and if so, for how long you have been doing so.

Unfortunately Denise I am unable to vote as there isn't a category that I fit into. Thanks for getting back! :)

Nigel

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you to everyone who has taken part in this poll. Keep on voting ...

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
I already had a meter when I was given the diagnoses, my GP then prescribed strips for me and told me to test and see what and how much of it I can consume without my BS going high. He also told me to cut down the saturated fats drastically. I got advice to reduce the carbs from my GP before I joined this forum, so where do I put my X in this poll?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even if you had the information about reducing carbs before you joined, you are following the advice given to new members. So you need to put your x in the amount of time you have been reducing carbs.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As a general plea to people who create these polls - could you please include a "non of the above" option for all the people who don't see an option that they can honestly tick and therefore don't pick any option?

This would at least give a count of the people who felt that they didn't fit any category in the poll, instead of potentially excluding them and biasing the poll results.

If the number was significant, then this would be an indication that the poll was not designed in such a way as to allow all participants to vote meaningfully.

The "follow the guidance of this site" makes it a hard one to answer as there are a number of different opinions expressed here over low/medium/high carbing.

How about e.g. an option for "I have reduced my carb intake following diagnosis" which does not imply acceptance or rejection of individual views on this site?

In my case, I have tried to reduce the proportion of carbs (especially highly processed carbs) in my diet and have done this in conjunction with information from various sources including this very useful site.
However I do not consider that I have simply "followed the advice of this site".

Oh, and have you stopped beating your wife?
Yes
No
None of the above apply.
;-)

Cheers

LGC

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi LGC

I'm not a statistician, but wanted to gauge whether people had taken note and acted upon the information given when most new members join ie http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088 not all the information on the site. I also wanted to know if you have overall reduced the proportion of carbs in your diet, how long this has been happening.

Polls on this site allow you 10 options, maybe I could have worded the question better and chosen different options with the questions (I also made a mistake and put over three years down twice - which is why there is a yes - other in the middle of the questions). Once you have created a poll, you can't delete a question or completely re-name it, without it resetting the poll and starting again.

In hindsight, then there probably should have been a none of the above category, but I'm hoping that people who don't think they fit the other categories can use the 'yes - other' option.

I was not newly diagnosed when I came here, but had been given the usual HCP advice about watching the sugar content and eating wholemeal bread. My bs was out of control and I wanted to learn more. I realised that it wasn't just 'sugars', but carbohydrates in general that I needed to watch.

Hope this explains where I'm coming from with this poll. Voting in it of course is optional, if you don't think it is applicable to you, then just ignore it, but I'd like to thank the people who have already cast their vote.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've ticked the 'more than 1 year' option, Denise, but I'm following advice I knew previously which happens to coincide with the advice for newbies, though it is more extreme.

I've known it for more than 7 years, but lapsed badly in the middle!

So difficult getting questions that apply to each and every one of us. Let us know what you make of it in the end.

Viv 8)