Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a natural kick start to the day that all people have. Just that people with Diabetes don't have the correct pancreatic reaction to balance the liver's kickstart.

I too think it's related to waking up but, more specifically, circadian rhythms. I believe it may adjust it's timing depending on sleeping and waking pattern. My own tends to be around 7am.

Yesterday my waking test was 6.4 mmol / L at 07:51.
Later on my bold glucose was 7.3 mmol / L at 09:53 prior to my BulletProof Coffee.

Today's waking test was 5.4 mmol / L at 06:26.
I'll update when I have this morning's BulletProof Coffee.

Did you have any breakfast before your coffee?

Have you done a middle of the night test for the Somogyi effect (high morning glucose levels because of reaction to low night time glucose).

Bottom line is that insulin sensitivity needs to be improved to fix the dawn effect.

Separate subject; curious to know if you make the coffee with coconut oil, MCT oil, butter or a combination? :) Not tried it myself but I do have a couple of Americanos each morning (black with sucralose sweetener).

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Have you done a middle of the night test for the Somogyi effect (high morning glucose levels because of reaction to low night time glucose).

Bottom line is that insulin sensitivity needs to be improved to fix the dawn effect.

Separate subject; curious to know if you make the coffee with coconut oil, MCT oil, butter or a combination? :) Not tried it myself but I do have a couple of Americanos each morning (black with sucralose sweetener).
Lost here...
Coffee with coconut oil, etc?
Please help:)

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Morning all 6.1 no breakfast for me this morn fasting bloods to be taken at mid day.

Reactions: 13 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dawn phenomenon seems to kick in around 7am; on the two days per week I get up at 6.30, my FBG is lower than in the rest of the week. Today is one of those days, and my FBG is 5.5 (usually over 6).

Reactions: 16 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all 6.1 no breakfast for me this morn fasting bloods to be taken at mid day.
Mid day seems late for fasting blood test. Our blood test place opens @7:30 and does a walk in service if you have got you forms

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Mid day seems late for fasting blood test. Our blood test place opens @7:30 and does a walk in service if you have got you forms
Ours don`t open till mid day on a tuesday.

Reactions: 2 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Good morning all. I had a 6.6 BG fasting reading this morning after a bedtime one of 7.0.

Reactions: 15 people

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other

Nope! Intermittent / fat fasting.

vit90 said:

No, but, I definitely should! Thank you for reminding me about this. :) I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that it was more relevant to type 1s?

vit90 said:

Definitely agree - demonstrated by my low carb day yesterday and my low morning fasting today. ;)

vit90 said:

The original Dave Asprey recipe that I use is MCT oil, grass fed butter, good quality (toxin free - wet processed) coffee.

I use BulletProof Coffee to fat fast - intermittent style. It works for me. I've tried it with coconut oil instead of MCT but, I find I'm hungrier quicker and get an energy crash sooner with it as opposed to MCT Oil. Having looked at it that's perfectly understandable as there's not much of the biological MCTs in Coconut Oil. It did taste rather good though! ;)

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lost here...
Coffee with coconut oil, etc?
Please help:)

It sounds disgusting and I haven't yet tried it myself but google bullet-proof coffee. Basically it's a fad whereby people put espresso coffee in a blender and wiz the coffee with either butter, coconut oil (which has the consistency of butter) or MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) oil. The latter is a refinement of coconut oil and very expensive! It's supposed to taste good and give you an energy boost if you are in ketosis as the saturated fats are quickly converted by the body into energy. It's high in calories but less likely to be deposited as fat as long as it's used up through activity compared to carbs and of course it has little effect on blood glucose.

Edit: As Nomistheman pointed out, one benefit is that it curbs hunger for a good period - much longer than when eating a similar dose of calories via carbs. However, LCHF and protein will also satisfy appetite better than carbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Fair enough cant go till they open

That's true I prefer mine with unsweetened soya milk or black. You don't spoil good coffee

Yeah, good Coffee is like good Whiskey (note the spelling) the only thing you put with it is more of the same! :)

However, BulletProof Coffee is a wonderful tool for fat / intermittent fasting. Well for me it is.

I must admit I was a bit cautious about butter in my coffee but, then it's just churned cream. The bonus is there's less carbs in butter than cream!

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
It sounds disgusting and I haven't yet tried it myself but google bullet-proof coffee. Basically it's a fad whereby people put espresso coffee in a blender and wiz the coffee with either butter, coconut oil (which has the consistency of butter) or MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) oil. The latter is a refinement of coconut oil and very expensive! It's supposed to taste good and give you an energy boost if you are in ketosis as the saturated fats are quickly converted by the body into energy. It's high in calories but less likely to be deposited as fat as long as it's used up through activity compared to carbs and of course it has little effect on blood glucose.

I thought it sounded disgusting but, was surprised at how lovely it truly is.

I can tell you, from my personal experience, it's no fad! It blooming well works! :D

Check out my postings above.

Reactions: 4 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope! Intermittent / fat fasting.

No, but, I definitely should! Thank you for reminding me about this. :) I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that it was more relevant to type 1s?

Definitely agree - demonstrated by my low carb day yesterday and my low morning fasting today. ;)

The original Dave Asprey recipe that I use is MCT oil, grass fed butter, good quality (toxin free - wet processed) coffee.

I use BulletProof Coffee to fat fast - intermittent style. It works for me. I've tried it with coconut oil instead of MCT but, I find I'm hungrier quicker and get an energy crash sooner with it as opposed to MCT Oil. Having looked at it that's perfectly understandable as there's not much of the biological MCTs in Coconut Oil. It did taste rather good though! ;)

Somogyi is most relevant to Type 1s but does happen more rarely with some Type 2s.

This site is a bit lukewarm on MCT oil http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil-the-truth-exposed/

I am cautious when there is no scientific association in the text and related to the author, but it's an interesting read.

Status
Not open for further replies.