Type 2 do you think it is self inflicted?

T2 Med free

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter believe type type 2 is Self inflicted because you are over weight I tried to explain that even slim people have the disease.
To top it all After 11 years I no longer take medication I control my life by what I eat so now she thinks I no longer have diabetes what complicated minds some people have. Type 1 can start early is that NOT self inflicted if not what is it? Please help.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would challenge the view that slim people can have T2. There will always be exceptions, but many of the 20% of slim T2s I'm sure would be found if tested properly (not guessed) to be late onset T1; I'm one of those. The latest NICE T1 guidelines have moved towards that view. T1 at any age, and it can occur at any age, is not self-inflicted. Yes, T2s can often make their T2 go into remission but as you imply they still have diabetes but it is controlled.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a type 2 so when I say that type 1 is an autoimmune disease I have learned that rather than experienced it. I understand that your own body destroys things that it thinks are alien to it and in type 1's it destroys the insulin producing cells in the pancreas.

In my opinion type 2 is caused/aggravated by visceral fat. Subcutaneous fat can also be present but if you are an individual not predisposed to obesity then you can be a thin diabetic. Fatty liver disease is what it is necessary to do something about in order to control your blood sugar. You can get Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease by drinking too much alcohol (ethanol) too often. You could get Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease by eating lots of fructose. Fructose forms part of ordinary table sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).

According to Professor Robert Lustig the highest incidence of NAFLD occurs in Middle Eastern countries where alcohol is banned and the water supply is questionable so this means they drink a lot of fizzy drinks.

Reactions: 8 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is not self inflicted!
No matter the science and I do agree with squires post, it is the lack of education on the basics of nutrition and what we call our 'staple diet' that is mainly responsible.
We are bombarded with conflicting nutritional information and the propaganda to eat rubbish relentlessly, that predispose the onset of insulin resistance and visceral fat leading to a fatty liver disease. The onset of diabetes is high in our population, due to letting big business and politicians free to profit from our eating habits.

Reactions: 12 people

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@nosher8355, I agree that context is an important factor; Food manufacturing polices, prevalence of misinformation etc.

However, does this abrogate the personal responsibility of individuals/parents.

It could also be argued that the Government/Tobacco
Industy are responsible for cancer/heart diesease attributed to smoking....

lindisfel

Expert
I have T2 and R.H. because I have an hormone
called aldosterone at c.20x normal in my blood.
Aldosterone together with sodium knackers insulin.
It just means I have a very difficult diet!
But guys, life is still good at 76. :))
regards
Derek

PS. I don't drink and I've got an high GGT.
but I think I know now what to do!
hba1c 45 is not enough to stop fatty liver disease.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you consider that for over fifty years the powers that be have used the media and every method known to put across to the whole population that high carb and low fat is healthy for everybody. In that context, yes!
But personally from having to eat very low carb and getting asked daily how I can live healthy by not having carbs, it is an individual decision.
I believe, that everybody treats me like Neil, the hippy out of the 'young ones'!
My eating habits now are out of the ordinary, but healthy for me.
There will be a revolution, but until the food manufacturers and government changes dietary advice, it will take time.
I think it would have to be fashionable to become popular.

T2 Med free

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone everything taken on board only came onto this site this weekend even after having this problem for 11 years this last year I got so fed up with taking tablets I changed my life style ( food wise ) I am not a drinker I have loved my food over the years but I want live a little longer feeling healthier so thanks for your time

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My daughter believe type type 2 is Self inflicted because you are over weight I tried to explain that even slim people have the disease.
To top it all After 11 years I no longer take medication I control my life by what I eat so now she thinks I no longer have diabetes what complicated minds some people have. Type 1 can start early is that NOT self inflicted if not what is it? Please help.

For many reasons, type 2 diabetes is one of the most misunderstood disease in the medical community.

First of all, type 2 diabetes is caused by having to much DANGEROUS fat. Genetics determines how your body stores excess weight, and those that have genes that predispose them for type 2 diabetes, only need a little bit of extra fat to get pushed over into a diabetic state. I saw somebody on this thread mention that many obese people do not have diabetes, and that is true, but they have genes that protect from this disease no matter how much fat they pile on.

So in short diabetes type 2 is caused by excess weight, but how much excess weight a person can carry before they develop diabetes is highly individual and unique, some may get diabetes at a bmi of 19, others do not develop it until a bmi of 30. Some may need to lose only 4 kgs, others may have to lose 20 kg to become non-diabetic.

Genes matter very much, and that is why you have athletes that get diabetes and some morbidely obese people with perfect bloodsugar control and cholesterol. Most people do not know this, so when they see that people claim diabetes type 2 is caused by excess weight they get angry and defensive, but they should not be, it is so genetically determined, and some are just luckier than other.

However, one must still point that the most benefical thing anybody can do for their type 2 diabetes, is to lose weight.

So yeah in one way type 2 diabetes is self inflicted, but when people do not know the cause of their diabetes, when we live in this society that always pushes peoples weight in an upward direction it is difficult to lay all blame on the individual.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2 diabetes is a catchall for several issues. Insulin resistance, blocked beta cells etc. Sometimes it's self inflicted. Sometimes it's not. Have a whipples procedure and you stand a good chance of being type 2 at the end of it. Mine was self inflicted. Not everyone's is.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi is see you put a comment on my thread . About what is the cause of diabetes . I as still looking for more research on this subject . If you find any I'd be grateful if you can let me know . Ps don't blame yourself

Clive

G

graj0

First of all, type 2 diabetes is caused by having to much DANGEROUS fat.
WRONG, it's caused by either a lack of insulin being produced by the pancreas or the body's resistance to the insulin being produced. if you're really unlucky it's both. Obesity is quite often what happens when you are insulin resistant because the excess insulin helps you store fat rather than burn it.
Isn't that in DIABETES 101?. So, still not quite there yet. My father had a 26 inch waste when he was diagnosed, so I think it's fair to say that he didn't have too much of any type of fat. No doubt he had some, even with a 26 inch waste, but too much? I don't think so. Sir Steve Redgrave, not exactly an overweight man, still type II though, has been since Atlanta Olympics.
It's not the first time I've seen people come out with this type of inaccurate assumption, probably because of what they've read in a comic. Still waiting for their empirical evidence.

Last edited:

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still not quite there yet. My father had a 26 inch waste when he was diagnosed, so I think it's fair to say that he didn't have too much of any type of fat. No doubt he had some, even with a 26 inch waste, but too much? I don't think so.
It's not the first time I've seen people come out with this type of inaccurate assumption, probably because of what they've read in a comic. Still waiting for the empirical evidence.

Hi have you read my thread called . Dose being overweight cause diabetes or dose diabetes make you overweight . Iv read a few papers but I'm looking for more

Clive

G

graj0

Hi have you read my thread called . Dose being overweight cause diabetes or dose diabetes make you overweight . Iv read a few papers but I'm looking for more

Clive
Hi Clive,
sorry, I added a bit to my original post. This is one of those questions that doesn't really have a proper answer, I know fat people who are not diabetic and skinny people who are. Doesn't really prove much except that a blanket being overweight cause diabetes is fundamentally inaccurate. Insulin resistance and low insulin production does. Insulin resistance will cause adding the pounds.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I would challenge the view that slim people can have T2. There will always be exceptions, but many of the 20% of slim T2s I'm sure would be found if tested properly (not guessed) to be late onset T1; I'm one of those. The latest NICE T1 guidelines have moved towards that view. T1 at any age, and it can occur at any age, is not self-inflicted. Yes, T2s can often make their T2 go into remission but as you imply they still have diabetes but it is controlled.
Probably quite a few with T2 diagnosis are actually MODY and we don't know all the MODY genes yet. So if you aren't type one, then the question is if you are poly-genetic or mono-genetic or indeed LADA as LADA seems to share the poly-genetic diabetes traits of T2 and the autoimmune antibodies of T1. Complicated or not?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Speaking as a T1.
I would point out the basics to the "misinformed" from my understanding & experience of T2s that the condition is not self inflicted...

My dad was a slim T2 & never had a "take away" in his life. ;)