Side effects from medication
I got all great answers though.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don’t need to fast longer between the two meals, your already fasting for 17 hours out of 24, fat burning will be happening during those 17hrs. To be honest you don’t need to fast to be burning fat, I don’t fast I eat 3 times a day at roughly 7 am, 12.30pm and 6.30pm and I’m in ketosis and fat burning.

I really think you are overthinking this and are doing fine on the regime you are on

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think there is one change I will make. Sometimes I still feel too sick to eat at noon so maybe a switch to 1pm and 9pm would be better. It covers both- to eat a bit before bed and usually not feeling so sick by 1pm.

Reactions: lovinglife

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I understand basically the concept of fasting.
I am suggesting a different one maybe from the commoner ones?
An example.
Eating right now at approximately 1130am.
I'm suggesting eating again at 1130pm. Hence a 12 hour fast.
Then sleep til whenever. Eat again not until 1130am. And so on.
The question-
How do I not have to fast 12 hours during the day?

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you've come full circle with your thinking on this - if you want to fast 12 hours between meals then yes you will have to fast during your waking hours.

It really depends on the benefit you are looking for - for me, it's that I want to extend the amount of time I spend in the fasted state, so reducing the amount of time I'm in the fed state. That makes 16:8 or 17:7 as you were doing better than a 12 hour fast between each meal if you are looking to improve fat burning and insulin resistance.

Reactions: cdpm

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Fasting is good but when I get up in the morning I am sometimes so hungry that I have to break the fast due to hunger and the dp. Any advice on that. I eat enough fats but sometimes I am ravenous.

Reactions: cdpm and jpscloud

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting is good but when I get up in the morning I am sometimes so hungry that I have to break the fast due to hunger and the dp. Any advice on that. I eat enough fats but sometimes I am ravenous.
If you are really hungry then you are not eating enough.
I eat at 12 hourly intervals if I remember - Sometimes I pour a mug of coffee first thing, set it down and then find it stone cold hours later.
If I am going out for the day I will plan what I am going to eat and have it ready in the fridge to be sure I don't forget. I do not restrict anything much other than carbs - I avoid low fat options and seed oils.
I make a meal in the evenings adding a dessert a few times a week sometimes, or not having a dessert at all for weeks - I am not hungry so I have learned to buy berries frozen, so they are not wasted.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think @Resurgam is right, and also I wonder if you could consider trying carnivore? My recent forays into going (almost) full carnivore have been very interesting, I did a few days of that prior to my fast and hunger just didn't exist at all over 40 odd hours, for the first time in my fasting history.

Reactions: cdpm

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What’s wrong with being hungry? No matter how much you eat at 1 meal you will eventually become hungry. I don’t fast, it isn’t for everyone. I have an eating disorder and me knowing when I’m next going to eat keeps me sane and helps me with my ED.

I eat at 6 a m 12 pm & 6pm, I also have a small no carb snack at 10pm and I’m hungry every time I eat. If I don’t stick to this then my roller coaster binge ED well and truly kicks in

Reactions: jpscloud and cdpm

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Thing is due to my past I cannot just "go hungry". I will feel dizzy and get the shakes. I know this and have experienced this countless times even before diagnosis. As far as going carnivore I would struggle to eat full carnivore. I think I am just not cut out for fasting lol

Reactions: cdpm and lovinglife