12 hour fast

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
I don't understand how to work the 12 hour fasting out. I mean I know you fast for the 12 hours but I wanted to eat late at night like at 10pm or so. Otherwise I'm hungry all night trying to sleep. But I also need the 12 hours to occur while I'm trying to sleep. But 10 at night means 10 in the morning then nothing all day.
That means I'm fasting all day? What happened to the fasting occurring while I'm trying to sleep?
I can't figure it out.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to fast for 12 hrs and eat at 10pm then your fast would begin say 10.30pm and end in the morning at 10.30 am = 12 hours without food. Then you can eat from 10.30 am like you would normally, if after a time you may want to extend your fast from say 9pm to 11am that would equal a 14 hour fast. You can continue to add increments of an hour or half hour until you have a longer fast.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was eating at about 12 hourly intervals, but did not time it to the minute - or even the hour, I just ate in the morning then in the evening, sometimes early sometimes late.
Now I am often only eating once a day as I get to this time, half past 2 in the afternoon and realise that I have not eaten, nor drunk anything other than a mug of water when I got up.
I am never really hungry these days.

Reactions: cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If you want to fast for 12 hrs and eat at 10pm then your fast would begin say 10.30pm and end in the morning at 10.30 am = 12 hours without food. Then you can eat from 10.30 am like you would normally, if after a time you may want to extend your fast from say 9pm to 11am that would equal a 14 hour fast. You can continue to add increments of an hour or half hour until you have a longer fast.
At the present I eat twice a day.
I wanted to make 1 meal at 10 or 11 then the other meal 12 hours later.
But that's making a 12 hour fast all day too not just when trying to sleep. How can I fix that?

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I will increase the time once I get used to the 12 hour fasting.
I had a Dr recommend the 16/8
but I'm not ready yet.
But I like your suggestion of adding increments of a halfhour.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was eating at about 12 hourly intervals, but did not time it to the minute - or even the hour, I just ate in the morning then in the evening, sometimes early sometimes late.
Now I am often only eating once a day as I get to this time, half past 2 in the afternoon and realise that I have not eaten, nor drunk anything other than a mug of water when I got up.
I used to eat once a day but then a med. switch messed me up.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
@Resurgam Wow! That's exactly how I am too. I think when we have reduced carbs and cut the snacks then we find (or I find) that we don't ever get hunger pangs. I am amazed and delighted to discover this x

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
But that's making a 12 hour fast all day too not just when trying to sleep. How can I fix that?
Is there a way?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure I completely understand. It's about having a substantial period when you don't eat, not about fasting each time after food.

Example: on a given day I might have a small amount of cheese, salami and olives at about 1-2pm, as the first thing I've eaten that day. I'll then have a substantial meal (chicken curry last night) at around 7pm. Next thing I'll eat will be the salami/ cheese/ olives again around mid-day, on the following day - this is a total fast of 17-18 hours. If I am doing something and don't have the mid-day food, it turns into a 24 hr fast.

Does that help?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @KennyA I’m struggling a bit to understand what the fasting regime is you are trying to achieve, also I notice you are on insulin, you need to be very careful if you are considering fasting with insulin and I’m a little bit reticent to advise someone taking insulin about fasting as I have limited knowledge of this.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm not sure I completely understand. It's about having a substantial period when you don't eat, not about fasting each time after food.

Example: on a given day I might have a small amount of cheese, salami and olives at about 1-2pm, as the first thing I've eaten that day. I'll then have a substantial meal (chicken curry last night) at around 7pm. Next thing I'll eat will be the salami/ cheese/ olives again around mid-day, on the following day - this is a total fast of 17-18 hours. If I am doing something and don't have the mid-day food, it turns into a 24 hr fast.

Does that help?
Yes

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Like @KennyA I’m struggling a bit to understand what the fasting regime is you are trying to achieve, also I notice you are on insulin, you need to be very careful if you are considering fasting with insulin and I’m a little bit reticent to advise someone taking insulin about fasting as I have limited knowledge of this.
Well I'm trying to avoid fasting time happening during my day when I'm awake.
But 12/12 seems to require fasting both at night and during the day when I will be eating only once then waiting 12 hours again.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm extremely insulin resistant and rarely have low blood sugar. I'm hoping fasting can lower it even down to an 8. Since the insulin rarely does.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm trying to avoid fasting time happening during my day when I'm awake.
But 12/12 seems to require fasting both at night and during the day when I will be eating only once then waiting 12 hours again.
You can pick whatever interval or fasting period you want. The point is to have a (substantial) period when you don't eat, which could be (eg) a 16 hour fast from 7pm to 11am. You'd then eat as you wished from 11am until 7pm, when you'd fast until the following 11 am, and repeat. If you wanted a 12 hour fast, 8pm to 8 am would work. Intermittent fasting is not about spacing all your meals 12 hours apart.

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster and cdpm

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok a 12 hour fast only happens overnight, not 12 hours fasting after every meal, which someone has already pointed out. Plus if you eat a very low carb meal eg eggs and bacon, large ribeye steak or several burger patties (obviously without the bun) then you‘ll be full and less likely to feel hungry in the night. It’s the carbs that will cause you to feel hungry a couple of hours after you’ve eaten but the natural fat that’s in the foods I’ve suggested will keep you fuller for longer. Also you should try to avoid eating 2-3 hours before going to bed, your body will be concentrating on digesting the food and that’s why you don’t sleep well. So eat at 7pm, bed at 10 and have breakfast when you wake up or 7am. Then that day lunch and dinner at normal times finishing at 7pm again until the following day.
Apologies if I’m repeating what everyone else has said.:)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think I suggested only eating once when your awake, my suggestion was the last time you eat is at 10pm so a 12 hour fast would be from 10pm at night until 10 am in the morning then eat however you want between the hours of 10 am and 10pm, be that once twice or three times.

If you are only wanting to eat once a day then having a long fast during waking hours would be unavoidable. It would be a 24hr fast. I’m still a bit lost on what it is you want to do.

How many times do you want to eat in a 24hr period?
How long between meals do you want to go?
How long a fast do you want to do?

Reactions: aylalake and cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don’t think I suggested only eating once when your awake, my suggestion was the last time you eat is at 10pm so a 12 hour fast would be from 10pm at night until 10 am in the morning then eat however you want between the hours of 10 am and 10pm, be that once twice or three times.

If you are only wanting to eat once a day then having a long fast during waking hours would be unavoidable. It would be a 24hr fast. I’m still a bit lost on what it is you want to do.

How many times do you want to eat in a 24hr period?
How long between meals do you want to go?
How long a fast do you want to do?
O no you never said to eat only once- it's what I want to do.

In 24 hours I'd like to eat twice .

With 12 hours between each meal.

So fasting for 12 hours in a 24 hour day.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
O no you never said to eat only once- it's what I want to do.

In 24 hours I'd like to eat twice .

With 12 hours between each meal.

So fasting for 12 hours in a 24 hour day.
But
Have the fasting time when I'm trying to sleep.