300 diabetes heart attacks per week -Doomed

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
m_cooper said:
well,i have given up on living anyway,i have hardening of the arteries and diabetes,my life is not the same anymore;just wish it would hurry up

I am genuinely sorry to hear that m_c, my own problems seem nothing compared to yours and others on this forum and I am sorry if I have upset anyone here

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
OK so lets hear from an expert.

Dr Richard Feinman, one of America's leading nutritionalists a nd Professor of cellular Biology at New York State University

Its 25 minutes long, contains a bit of presenters pre-amble but its well worth 25 minutes of your life!

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/a-ta ... isode-136/

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sid - no low carb policy here, anyone who says otherwise is a doggone scoundrel. This forum seeks to encourage debate, however radical.

I just don't want loads of infighting to cloud the issue, which is a very valid one, and equally loads of pms from each 'side' bemoaning my lack of action to deal with the 'evil forces' massed in conspiracy to promote either low-carb, or non low-carb. I'm just as sick of it as you lot are!

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Sid,

This might be an interesting read:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2359752

(taken from link above)
3. Substitution of fat for carbohydrate is generally beneficial for markers for and incidence of CVD
on the subject of "bad" fat:
The role of saturated fat
A primary goal of current recommendations is to put limits on dietary saturated fat but published results are inconsistent (see e.g. [42]). Several critical reviews have pointed up the general failure to meet the kind of unambiguous outcomes that would justify blanket condemnation of saturated fat, per se [29,30,41,43,44]. Notably, during the obesity and diabetes epidemic, the proportion of dietary saturated fat decreased. In men, the absolute amount decreased by 14%. Similarly, the WHI revealed no difference in CVD incidence for people who consumed < 10% saturated fat or those whose consumption was > 14%[35]. Dreon, et al. [44] showed that increased saturated fat lead to a decrease in small, dense LDL. Perhaps most remarkable was a study by Mozaffarian [45] which showed that greater intake of saturated fat was associated with reduced progression of coronary atherosclerosis; greater carbohydrate intake was linked to increased progression.
In our view, inconsistencies in the experimental results with dietary saturated fat arise from a failure to distinguish between replacement by unsaturated fat or by carbohydrate [3]. In the former case, there is usually improvement in CVD risk or outcome (although it is not excluded that this is due to the effect of the unsaturated fat rather than reduction in the risk from the saturated fat). Replacement of saturated fat with carbohydrate, however, is almost always deleterious [46,47]. Again, the idea that carbohydrate is a control element determining the fate of ingested lipid is overriding.

Best regards,
timo.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Brilliant find, Timo.
Last 3 paragraphs:-

There is reluctance [on the part of health professionals {including Ally, our resident dietitian}] to make recommendations for low carbohydrate diets on the grounds that people will not follow them but compliance and efficacy of dietary recommendations are separate phenomena. In fact, all recommendations are specifically intended to be different from average consumption[1] and it is sensibly the purpose of health agencies to encourage conformance to the best therapies.

It is time to re-appraise the role of carbohydrate restriction. Although pessimism exists in the medical community on the efficacy of any diet in the treatment of diabetes 2 and MetS, the success of carbohydrate restriction for many practitioners and individual patients[64] mandates that we should determine how this approach can be consistently and effectively employed.
Finally, while no systematic study of clinical practice has been done, anecdotal evidence suggests that carbohydrate restriction is a common clinical recommendation for diabetes. We believe that there is a need to codify these recommendations in light of current evidence.

Basic biochemistry, clinical experience and an evolving understanding of metabolic syndrome support the need for evaluation of the efficacy and safety of carbohydrate-restricted diets for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. The fact that carbohydrate restriction improves markers of cardiovascular health, even in the absence of weight loss, sensibly removes historical objections to the dangers of this approach. A critical re-appraisal could form the basis for an alternative for those patients for whom current recommendations are not successful.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
OK, I was going to leave it but I will make 1 observation and ask one question.

Observation:
I can't say that I am any more impressed by Dr Feinman's video than I was with Dr Bernstein's book but I will concede that for a Type 2 diabetic not on insulin a low carb diet is one way to get BG levels under control.

Question:
Would you still recommend a low carb diet to someone with high cholesterol?

On a lighter note to Quote Dr Feinman off the video link "Insolin was invented in the 20's and was clearly a cure" Well thats good news then we're all cured. Made me laugh anyway :lol:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Read/listen to the above articles, its a good thing to read evidence from different sources. Feinman is one of a group of doctors with an alternative viewpoint.. The paper cited is published in a journal that has a specific interest in publishing articles about low carb diets. (editor R Feinman , and see ed .board )
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=524026

also look at evidence from other sources. All are summaries, including evaluations of the strength of evidence for the various factors involved in CVD prevention (and diet is only one factor)
http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002137.html
http://www.who.int/hpr/NPH/docs/who_fao_expert_report.pdf
relevant charts p 77 diabetes,p 88 CVD
http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/atvbaha;26/10/2186http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/21/3/189.full

Alternatively you may like to accept that doctors working in their respective fields have done the reading for you. Perhaps also that associations like DUK and the BHF, together with their counterparts worldwide are motivated to help their 'clientele' and are not part of some conspiracy to kill us all off !

But inevitably, personal experience is obviously going to cause bias in any of our thinking.
From a personal point of view .I have been lucky enough to be able to reduce the plaque in my arteries, I've read the reports at diagnosis, at one year, 3 and 5 years. The first one the doctor was very worried and wrote a frightening report, in just one year things improved, now he's just keeping a 2 yearly check. In general I changed from eating a vaguely healthy diet , but where I'd eat the odd choc biscuit, the large chinese take away on a Friday night etc to one where I really did try to eat according to guidelines,(which I've never understood to include 'mountains' of starch,) I eat pretty much like the new guidelines from DiabetesUK + exercise + bg control (with necessary insulin). Who knows if one element of lifestyle/diet has been more important than another in reducing the plaque, or whether its a temporary remission, I'm just thankful that, for the time being at least, its worked.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, I thought I'd also add this
On a lighter note to Quote Dr Feinman off the video link "Insolin was invented in the 20's and was clearly a cure" Well thats good news then we're all cured. Made me laugh anyway
Well it worked very well but here are two interesting tables from the Joslin institute (from a 1950 paper looking back over the previous fify years) Note insulin introduced in 1922. Lifespan increased but the main cause of death changed from diabetic coma to CVD/renal disease

Attachments

• joslin stats 1.JPG
    joslin stats 1.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 532
  • Joslin stats 2.JPG
    Joslin stats 2.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 543

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Sid Bonkers said:
Question: Would you still recommend a low carb diet to someone with high cholesterol?

Hi Sid,

I think that most people reviewing the Success stories thread would have to answer yes to that question.

Low-carb/high-fat would appear to be a viable alternative for those who are unable to use carbohydrate to soothe a dysfunctional carbohydrate metabolism. :D

Regards,
timo.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Phoenix, thanks for the links they kept me off the forum for hours :lol: I'm just not sure what conclusions I was supposed to draw from reading them though.

phoenix said:
Read/listen to the above articles, its a good thing to read evidence from different sources. Feinman is one of a group of doctors with an alternative viewpoint.. The paper cited is published in a journal that has a specific interest in publishing articles about low carb diets. (editor R Feinman , and see ed .board )
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=524026

I did listen to the above video and I have also bought and read Dr Bernstein's 'The Diabetic Solution' so I do not have a closed mind on this issue, its just that nothing I have read or seen convinces me that eating minimal amounts of carbs and high amounts of saturated fats ie. meat and dairy products can be a good idea, although as I said earlier I do see that a LC diet can be one way of bringing down the BG levels of Type 2's not on Insulin. But I also believe that the risks of heart disease need to be taken into account especially for someone with high cholesterol.

phoenix said:
also look at evidence from other sources. All are summaries, including evaluations of the strength of evidence for the various factors involved in CVD prevention (and diet is only one factor)
http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002137.html

I agree that diet is only one factor but this link does summarise that we should eat less animal fat (saturated)

phoenix said:

WOW this one took me about 2 hours to check and basically says the same thing as the last one. I quote from Page 98
"The evidence shows that intake of saturated fatty acids is directly related to cardiovascular risk."

phoenix said:

This link again says:
"The recommendations are to balance caloric intake and
physical activity to achieve and maintain a healthy body
weight; consume a diet rich in vegetables and fruits; choose
whole-grain, high-fiber foods; consume fish, especially oily
fish, at least twice a week; limit intake of saturated fat to
7% of energy, trans fat to 1% of energy, and cholesterol
to 300 mg/d by choosing lean meats and vegetable alternatives,
fat-free (skim) or low-fat (1% fat) dairy products and
minimize intake of partially hydrogenated fats;

phoenix said:

And this link again:
Conclusion
1. Cardioprotective nutrition interventions should be implemented in the initial series of encounters and should include reduction in saturated and trans fats and dietary cholesterol and interventions to improve blood pressure; nutrition plans should be individualized to provide a fat intake of 25–35% of total calories, saturated fat and trans fatty acids should be as low as possible and at a maximum of 7% of total calories, and < 200 mg cholesterol per day.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So they all pretty much say the same thing, that saturated fats are a contributory factor towards heart disease, which also kinda answers my question about recommending a low carb diet to someone with high cholesterol.

As the tittle of this thread says "300 diabetes heart attacks per week" cardiovascular disease is a major problem for us all

Reading those links has been an education in itself and I thank you for them but my head is now buzzing so I am off to shoot some on-line aliens, to chillax as my teenage son would say. 8)

I shall accept that we are all different and have different forms of diabetes and that some advice is good for some people and other advice is good for others :)

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Sid,

Your claim was in regards to the dangers of low-carb and high-fat.

Nobody ever suggested that high-carb/high-fat was a good idea.

What about research in regards to fat intake on a low carbohydrate diet?

(as this is diabetes.co.uk, we'd best keep it specific to the treatment of diabetes, if possible)

Regards,
timo.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Sid,
This an extensive 2 year study with a very low drop out rate, it will give you an insight into the effects of LC on cholesterol. This is the abstract you may want to download the PDF easier read than the full text version. I am on a LC/HF diet and not on meds for Cholesterol, my Dietitian put me on reduced carb/high fat diet.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/359/3/229

Graham

gbtyke

I have been on statins for over 15 years now as my father and elder brother both died of heart attacks in their late 50's. Never really managed to get readings below 5. Since being diagnosed diabetic nurse now wants me below 4. Just been on double dose statins for 3 months with little effect. She now wants me to take Ezetrol (ezetimibe) as well. Has anyone any experience of this? Any improvements, side effects?

Been fairly low carb since diabetic diagnosis.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi gbtyke.

I have been on Lipitor (Atorvastatin) and Ezetimibe for some time now. The Ezetimibe was added and had a good effect lowering my TC levels. I am now down to 3.2 and it is probably still falling.

Some here will no doubt tell you that TC is not important ? I find it is a good indicator, but a full lipid readout is far better to know how things are overall. LDL/HDL/Trigs as well.

As for side effects....never had any.

Ken.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Maybe some of these deaths could be due to employers taking no notice of the law and not allowing snack breaks and making people miss meals, even not allowing blood testing in a clean room at work.
I have been told, "You dont have time for all that rubbish " just get on with your work.
Complain and I`m told, "Bring it on".

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
Err. Yes. Read the bit about heart attacks. Scary. Not sure what you're on about Graham1441 ??
You having a bad day at work ?

D.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
It would be great to see some research specific to type 2 diabetics on low-carb/high-fat diets.
Could a type 2 expect their heart attack risk to go up, down or stay the same on such a diet?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would be great to see some research specific to type 2 diabetics on low-carb/high-fat diets.
Could a type 2 expect their heart attack risk to go up, down or stay the same on such a diet?
The ethics would be difficult. I think that far more emphasis is being placed upon the type of fat, rather than blanket reductions.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
timo2 said:

Hi Timo,
There has been a lot of short term studies which have had very positive results, but they always have the same answer,“ yes low carb hi fat diets do work but we need long term studies before we can endorse them”. As it is not in the interest of the pharmaceutical giants who reap great rewards from diabetic drugs, nor the food industry and their “low fat healthy options”, who is going to fund them.
The Exeter study is the only in the UK I can find and that was funded by DUK, we still await the results of that.

Initial DUK short term study

The results of an initial study of a low carbohydrate diet has surprised many experts who thought that the relative increase in fat content would result in a worsening of glycaemic control and a worsening of lipid profiles rather than completely the opposite. Whilst this work has not changed national guidelines it has made it clear that further work is needed in this area such as the long-term study funded by Diabetes UK in Exeter. This has also led to the idea that a low carbohydrate diet may indeed be the logical extension of a low glycaemic index diet that has been favoured by many dietitians.

Cash cow :?:

Up to half of patients can't keep their blood sugar levels at their goal with their current medicines, diet and exercise. That increases risk of complications including blindness, amputations and kidney damage.
Those patients are targets for drugmakers hoping their new products will muscle aside older drugs, or at least be added to ones patients already are taking. Global sales of diabetes drugs totaled US$27.3 billion last year, making them the No. 4 drug class, according to IMS Health

Cheers
Grahm