Dominic71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi all,
I am considering trying the 8 week blood sugar diet of 800cals per day, might change it a little and do between 800 and 1000cals within an 8 hour window. So fasting for 16 hours. Proper meal at lunch and then a huel black edition shake in the evening for dinner.
Has anyone tried this diet and what are your thoughts? Have people been as successful as the book suggests in putting this into remission?

Tannith

BANNED
I have been doing something like this for over 4 months now and lost just under a stone. My FBGs are mid normal (down from high normal to low pre diabetic), but my 2hour OGT (done at home after 75 g glucose & water drink) is still in the middle of the pre diabetic range. Still that is better than when I started when it was at the lower end of the diabetic range. I think the OGT is the only really important one as it measures on a standardised internationally recognised scale how far along the diabetic continuum you are between low normal and diabetic.

Reactions: Dominic71

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Dominic71 many have completed Blood Sugar Diet. I believe it is possible to get the desired top line results of diabetes remission, weight loss (I prefer exclusively fat loss).

For a male, up to 1000 calories will not be sustainable long term, so what comes next will need planning for.

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the diet i did which then turned into LCHF/Keto its good for losing weight but you need a maintenance plan for when it ends because its certainly not sustainable.

I didn’t follow the recipes and looking back it was more of a keto diet but it put me on the right path, while I was educating myself.

I put my diabetes in remission after 3 months

I would stay away from the shakes they really aren’t needed.

edit* i lost 16kg in the 3 months which is now at a 25kg weight loss

Reactions: jjraak

Dominic71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi @Dominic71 many have completed Blood Sugar Diet. I believe it is possible to get the desired top line results of diabetes remission, weight loss (I prefer exclusively fat loss).

For a male, up to 1000 calories will not be sustainable long term, so what comes next will need planning for.
I am a chef and have lived in Spain for 14 years, so know about the med diet and will be following that. But I need a huge weight loss of about 50kg to put me on 85kg. I have already lost 23kg over 3 months. I was diagnosed 6 weeks ago and want to put this into remission ASAP. Once I lose the weight, maintaining a healthy diet isn't a problem.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a distinct difference between a diet to control diabetes and a crash diet for weightloss.
I have been eating a low carb diet for some years now, to keep my blood glucose under 8mmol/l after eating, usually under 7. That gives m a Hba1c of 42, and I am classed as in remission.
The LCHF diet is easy to follow, and I feel great on it. As you'd probably need to stick to a similar regime after the low calorie diet, I'd advise seeing how you manage on it for a while and then thinking about the options. You are likely to lose weight on the low carb diet, though perhaps not as fast as the low calorie diet - low carb is, to my mind, far less stressful.

Dominic71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks, when I had my hba1c result that alerted my doctor to the fact I had diabetes it was 128, and bg 26.
At the moment my morning bg is between 4.8 and 5.3 for the past 10 days, evening is around 6.5 to 7.8 around 60 to 90mins after the evening meal before bed. I am hopefully getting it under control. Hoping to use this and lose enough weight over an 8 week period in order to put it into remission. Obviously keeping up the exercise and watching what I eat is going to be a priority for good. But being a chef I usually make everything I eat and don't buy prepared food almost ever.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The blood sugar diet achieves results if you can stick to the very low calories but it is designed to be short term, followed by a sustainable long term plan. Long term very low calorie may cause metabolic slow down that’s hard to recover from.

There are a number of measures of diabetes. Bgl (instant measures) that varies by time of day, dawn phenomenon, food intake and other factors like sleep, stress, exercise and illness . Hb1ac that is an average of approximately 12 weeks overall levels and OGTT. Each test has advantages and disadvantages and each show different things. It is definitely worth understanding each test and exactly what it shows before relying on just one or you could easily be mislead.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm not great fan of the blood sugar diet. It's partly the result of Dr Mosley selling his latest book (he writes many!) and the Newcastle Diet which I regard as based on poor science. Calories are best ignored as they are not a food group yet using Calories as a measure for eating assumes all food groups are the same - they aren't. Much better to focus on reducing your Carbs to a level that works for you and balancing with fats and proteins. Carbs are the main cause of BS and weight gain so we need to adopt a lower carb diet for life. Especially if a T2 but even T1s may need to (I do for example)

Dominic71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
@Daibell, thanks. Since I found out 6/7 weeks ago I don't go near white bread, potatoes, rice or white pasta. Only twice had wholemeal pasta, checked BS and was fine, apart from that just had wholemeal bread 4 times a week, when I was having breakfast. Again was fine. Trying to steer clear of high carbs as much as possible. Only planning to do this diet for the 8 weeks, and have plans for maintenance after this diet plan.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Dominic71

I completed the original 800 Calorie version and had stopped meds and returned to normal blood sugar levels by the completion of the diet and lost 15kg.

Good luck with it

Tannith

BANNED
@Daibell, thanks. Since I found out 6/7 weeks ago I don't go near white bread, potatoes, rice or white pasta. Only twice had wholemeal pasta, checked BS and was fine, apart from that just had wholemeal bread 4 times a week, when I was having breakfast. Again was fine. Trying to steer clear of high carbs as much as possible. Only planning to do this diet for the 8 weeks, and have plans for maintenance after this diet plan.
This shows the rises in BG fasting and after meals, and also the inexorable decline in Beta Cell function as T2 progresses. (Shown with the yellow line) It appears to confirm that people should do their best to lose weight as soon as possible after diagnosis. Leave it too long and the Beta Cells might reach a point where they are beyond repair and T2 can no longer be reversed. Once that happens the disease will continue to progress even if you take drugs to lower your BGs. Interestingly FBG and Postprandial glucose continue to rise as beta cell function declines.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone steer me towards evidence (not theory) beta cells are permanently damaged specifically by type 2 and/or excess visceral fat.
And evidence progression is inevitable regardless of intervention (drug or dietary) intended to halt or even partially reverse the existing situation.