A Diabetic Review only every 5 or 6 months?

A

Anonymous

To those who have had diabetes T2 for several years.
Do any of you have your reviews either 5 or even 6 months apart? Or have they stayed at 3 months? I was diagnosed in February 2007. For nearly 2 years I had my review every 3 months, but my diabetic nurse said that my sugar was so well controlled that it could be moved up 2 every 5 months. Wel this time it's been 6 months which I feel is 2 long.

C

catherinecherub

Hi joely,
I was diagnosed in 2003 and have an annual review, always have done.
If you have worries about your control then you need to voice your concerns and ask for an appointment.
Hope this helps,
Catherine.

sugar2

I'm T1 (not sure whether that is relevant or not!!) but I on a 6 month review...although last year I only saw them once. If your control is good, I don't think 6 months is too long, as long as they are happy tosee you if you have any concerns!

Dollyrocker

I'm T1 and only have an annual review with the disbetes consuultannt. I see the diabetes nurse in between though, maybe every 4 months

If you're getting 6 monthly reviews and mauintain good control then there's not really any need to be seen more often :)

goji

I'm T1 and am supposed to have an annual review with the consultant/DSN but it seems more like every 18-24 months in recent years as the hospital always cancels their appointments!!

If your control is good then every 5 months should be fine. Do they let you have your own test strips or are they only allowing you to get Hba1cs to check your control?

A

Anonymous

Thanx everyone. I've been lucky with my surgery. They give me strips whenever I need them.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My "Official" reviews are 12 months apart so I organise some interim ones.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I'm a T2 on Byetta and see my Endo or SDSN whenever I need to usually every 3 months at the minute as my control went out the window during my ant-Cancer treatment. Prior to that I was well controlled and still saw them every 4 months. They are very pro-active and like to keep a close eye on all their Patients in the clinic.

The only person I see annually is the Practice Nurse who basically tickles my feet, has a good old chat and rubber stamps everything I am doing. All are very pro reduced carbs and all great people.

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
T2 and was told only need to see them once a year - as I still feel I am uncontrolled - between 6 and about 10! I thought this was not right - so have been going more often! Still no sign of a retinopathy appointment though - so going back soon to see if I can get that sorted! It amazes me how different treatment and care is across the country!

Dippy3103

My review is every six months, am a type two diet only. I was told by the diabetes secretary at my GP that only very well controlled are annual reviews.