"A new you in 42"

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes you can . According to nurse, weight loss can cause it to happen. Need to go. Still feel funny and hard to type

Just been trying to figure out how that works, but I think what's happening is that your insulin sensitivity has improved to the point that your liver (because the metformin is suppressing your glucose release) cannot keep pace with how quickly your body is pulling glucose into the cells. Therefore, doing even a small amount of exercise is dropping your BGs too low.
Best check with your doc, because it sounds as though it may be time to change your prescription.
Until then, don't do anything too strenuous, and keep some carbs nearby. Bx

Reactions: 2 people

Gillie Ruth

Wow, a good nights sleep, and climbed the stairs at the pictures before and after watching 'malificent' great film ,
I am on metformin only, and getting 5.4- 5.6 regular as clock work in the mornings, is this low enough to be ok, considering I'm on cortisone at the moment too? Well done exercisers, such fun and hopeful attitudes, must be good for us all. First thing, last thing, I read here, because nobody is miserable, just getting on, and making a rough ride a less scary one. Thankyou everyone :)

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, a good nights sleep, and climbed the stairs at the pictures before and after watching 'malificent' great film ,
I am on metformin only, and getting 5.4- 5.6 regular as clock work in the mornings, is this low enough to be ok, considering I'm on cortisone at the moment too? Well done exercisers, such fun and hopeful attitudes, must be good for us all. First thing, last thing, I read here, because nobody is miserable, just getting on, and making a rough ride a less scary one. Thankyou everyone :)
We aim to please, Gillie Ruth.
Its good to hear from you, good morning to you, and its good night from me. I am up a bit late tonight.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Just been trying to figure out how that works, but I think what's happening is that your insulin sensitivity has improved to the point that your liver (because the metformin is suppressing your glucose release) cannot keep pace with how quickly your body is pulling glucose into the cells. Therefore, doing even a small amount of exercise is dropping your BGs too low.
Best check with your doc, because it sounds as though it may be time to change your prescription.
Until then, don't do anything too strenuous, and keep some carbs nearby. Bx
Thank you. Problem is now run out of strips. Hubbie accidentally woke me up at 5:30 and now have headache and slightly muzzy feeling. Feel a bit sick too. Problem is fasting bs still in 6 range. Yesterday 6.2

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you. Problem is now run out of strips. Hubbie accidentally woke me up at 5:30 and now have headache and slightly muzzy feeling. Feel a bit sick too. Problem is fasting bs still in 6 range. Yesterday 6.2

:(
Blast! At least BSs are not too low.
Was just a bit concerned when you said that you dropped from a 10 to 4.3 on a walk after a meal. I don't know over what time period that was, but it suggested to me that your body is doing a great job of making use of the glucose running around your body, and perhaps insulin resistance is no longer such an issue. That combined with you having had a couple of hypos - not good.:(
Definitely worth while chatting to your doctor about it - mention the rate of fall in BGs as well as what your lowest BG reading has been. Just to be sure all is okay.
My husband gets an occasional hypo (he's on insulin) - one of the first things he notices is that the back of his head starts to feel a bit 'frozen'. No quick fix to the symptoms, just keep well hydrated and keep BSs in safe range - perhaps run bloods a tiny bit higher than normal until you've spoken to the doctor.
Can hubbie go test strip shopping for you? It sounds as though you need to rest up a bit. x

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
..mornin' all and hope you improve as the day goes on scandichic...

....doesn't look like a walking day today unless it stops peeing down later....'skipping'! I thought instead, not done it for years and I have a large hall so the neighbours won't see me :cool: ..... just need to find a thick washing line or thin rope when I'm in town at lunchtime, hey am quite looking forward to it...:D

Reactions: 3 people

eastcoastphil

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People obsessed with themselves and anyone who looks down at me. Take me as I am or go annoy someone else.
Great to have you join in eastcoastphil!:)

Thanks, just off to work on my new mountain bike. 2 miles so will be in a right sweat when I arrive!

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Well thanks to the incentive provided by mentioning it on here, I just walked 30 minutes from hotel to office and then (gasp) walked up to the 11th floor! Short breaks at 4th and 8th and my thighs were burning at the top, but that was a first - last time I tried I was carrying the equivalent of half a loaded suitcase as unwanted baggage and only got to 4.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well thanks to the incentive provided by mentioning it on here, I just walked 30 minutes from hotel to office and then (gasp) walked up to the 11th floor! Short breaks at 4th and 8th and my thighs were burning at the top, but that was a first - last time I tried I was carrying the equivalent of half a loaded suitcase as unwanted baggage and only got to 4.
Yay!
Great job sanguine!:happy:

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Maybe I need to get a pedro. Used to have one, but then I used to be able to walk miles.
Perhaps it would be an incentive to increase distance, even if my slow pace and staggering gait don't count as exercise according to physio.
Not going to make a pledge on here to get a pedro though. My obsession is around never backing down when I have said I will do something.

Pip I hate the word exercise now. It puts people off and has images of joggers or people in a gym. The physio cannot argue that you are being more active. I like the term activity. Most people can do some activity and I think you prove that so just tell her that :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

Oh I am impressed that is fantastic . You must be feeling great achieving that.
Think I now have a new challenge ...

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

....doesn't look like a walking day today unless it stops peeing down later....'skipping'! I thought instead, not done it for years and I have a large hall so the neighbours won't see me :cool: ..... just need to find a thick washing line or thin rope when I'm in town at lunchtime, hey am quite looking forward to it...:D

Dance around your living room in your pjs

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Well after looking at all the people walking up Carlton hill last night I got up just after 6 this morning and went.
Loved it.
Back at conference now yawn.. lol

Attachments

• 1401870670855.jpg
    1401870670855.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 1401870687043.jpg
    1401870687043.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 1401870726943.jpg
    1401870726943.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 159

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

excellent work. Can you slide down the bannisters on the way out as a reward?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ah, in my earlier healthier years I was in a dance / display skipping team. Would need reinforced floor (and probably reinforced underwear) if I was to try it now.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a shorter morning walk today (a mile) and I was really late going (6.45) but hopefully tomorrow will be better. Lots of ironing to do, so I'm putting it off for a bit. I need to get my son's clothes all washed and ready as he is going to Brazil next week and he is away working again right now so can't do it himself.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pip I hate the word exercise now. It puts people off and has images of joggers or people in a gym. The physio cannot argue that you are being more active. I like the term activity. Most people can do some activity and I think you prove that so just tell her that :)

Hey, don't get me wrong, the physio is brilliant. It was her that gave me the starter exercises (activities) when I couldn't even get out of the chair. (I posted them a few days ago, and I have some more which will put on later). What she said makes sense. My weight loss has slowed down, but thankfully is no longer going in the wrong direction now I am able to move a bit more. What she said is that you have to re-evaluate your exercise activity and intensity every 6-8 weeks. If weight loss is stalled, and you need to lose more weight you need to increase and vary activity a bit more. Methinks I am going to have to put trainers on and see if I can run around the supermarket aisles instead of strolling.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
:(
Blast! At least BSs are not too low.
Was just a bit concerned when you said that you dropped from a 10 to 4.3 on a walk after a meal. I don't know over what time period that was, but it suggested to me that your body is doing a great job of making use of the glucose running around your body, and perhaps insulin resistance is no longer such an issue. That combined with you having had a couple of hypos - not good.:(
Definitely worth while chatting to your doctor about it - mention the rate of fall in BGs as well as what your lowest BG reading has been. Just to be sure all is okay.
My husband gets an occasional hypo (he's on insulin) - one of the first things he notices is that the back of his head starts to feel a bit 'frozen'. No quick fix to the symptoms, just keep well hydrated and keep BSs in safe range - perhaps run bloods a tiny bit higher than normal until you've spoken to the doctor.
Can hubbie go test strip shopping for you? It sounds as though you need to rest up a bit. x
Thank you for your concern and kindness.
My bs yesterday was 6.2 fasting.
I tested myself half an hour after I'd eaten and was 10. (Tend to test fasting and when I feel funny) therefore walked to Lidl (30 mins there) , bought milk and walked back. Sat down with cup of tea, tested and 4.3. No more test strips left but felt worse half an hour later so hubbie made me eat revolting choccie biscuit. Had cup of tea and went to bed. Woken up at 5:30. Felt **** and raging headache so drank 2 glasses of water. Got up rang in sick as felt totally spaced out and sent in all my lessons for the day whilst feeling dizzy and unable to focus. Went to docs. New doc so got monitor and test strips! Hallelujah!!!!!!! (Although just bought 5 months worth on line :( doc thinks I might have pee infection so done wee test. dn came in and was usual unpleasant self. Asked if STILL low carbing and STILL testing several times a day. The waves of irritation and dislike emanating from this lady are quite remarkable. Told her about weight loss. Explained that I do fasting or if feel funny. She thought I might need to come off met but doc wants to know if got infection first. Got home tested self before finally getting breakfast and 7.3! Feel bit better but still bit dizzy. 7.3 40 mins after food. Happy days!