Type 2 A Question I Have been Asked

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning after posting my latest Hb1Ac results yesterday I was asked this question:)

Fantastic result! What was the reaction from your doc/nurse to your results? Do they know how you're eating? Are they supportive?

My answer was "No Reaction" I have only seen a diabetes nurse once back in October 2016 when I was diagnosed,she left the day after and they haven't replaced her as yet,I cannot get a appointment with anyone of the 6 doctors at my surgery until May 5th,now I am on one metformin a day ,I was on two ,but my aim was to be able to stop them all together and do it with diet and exercise,but cannot do this without the doctors opinnion,and its quite frustrating to say the least.

Reactions: headlotusflower

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would hope that your doctor would now support you with coming off the medication as you have excellent results.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
500mg metformin per day is such a low dose, stopping it would probably make little difference to your glucose levels. However, it does mean you need less insulin to control your BG, and since high insulin causes problems independently of high BG, there is some merit in continuing to take it. Risk of cardiovascular diseases increases with HbA1C, even within the normal range.

I'm on two metformin per day and dropped my HbA1C from 62 to 40 in 3 months with low carb. I'm hoping it will be even lower at the next test, my BG levels suggest t should be. But I'm in no hurry to come off it - for the reasons stated above. I don't suffer side effects with it, and all the evidence is that the benefit greatly outweighs any risk from it. I take a vitamin B12 supplement (when I remember) to be on the safe side.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Good morning after posting my latest Hb1Ac results yesterday I was asked this question:)
My answer was "No Reaction" I have only seen a diabetes nurse once back in October 2016 when I was diagnosed,she left the day after and they haven't replaced her as yet,I cannot get a appointment with anyone of the 6 doctors at my surgery until May 5th,now I am on one metformin a day ,I was on two ,but my aim was to be able to stop them all together and do it with diet and exercise,but cannot do this without the doctors opinnion,and its quite frustrating to say the least.
Hi @wiseowl_123 ..
Reminds me of when I had my first appt with Doc after diagnosis .. I had mapped all my BG levels, BP readings and weight on a spreadsheet which I printed off and took with me, together with my food/carb diary. I thought this was good evidence that I was managing my T2 and progressing well. She took my printouts from me and gave them nothing more than a cursory glance. Then she said .. "don't eat too many cream cakes" So, if it's any consolation (but I know it isn't) I do sympahise ..
I could use words other than "frustrating" .. but I'm clearly not as polite as you ;)

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Same as my experience - my GP not really interested in how the results are achieved -:banghead:
I have come to accept that the only people remotely interested are the good folk on here sharing our journey

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
No doctor is going to thank you for adding to their cognitive dissonance. I have remained on one metformin for the benefits of staying young and living for ever as others on here do :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those of you that have seen a doctor are doing better than I am. I was diagnosed January 2014 and for diabetes related stuff I have only ever seen a nurse. I do see her annually (3 monthly initially, then 6 monthly, now annually) and she is lovely. But a GP? Not once. My nurse gave me my diagnosis and that has been that. The only time I saw a GP was when she noticed my nurse hadn't prescribed statins so she called me in to see her to discuss this. She lost. I won.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When I brought my HbA1c down to 38 my GP asked me How? when I told him he was fully supportive and said carry on. The DN was the same. Still won't prescribe test strips though.

Reactions: Ultramum

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Due to my habit of moving round the country with work, I am on the 6th GP practice of my 19-year diabetic history.

Practice 1 - saw GP at diagnosis, thereafter saw only nurse, was offered referral to hospital, which I took
Practice 2 - saw nurse, then dietitian, then GP in single appointment every 6 months
Practice 3 - think I saw GP - can't remember, wasn't there very long
Practice 4 - saw GP who had special interest in diabetes
Practice 5 - saw practice nurse, who could prescribe - never saw GP for diabetes issues
Practice 6 - saw practice nurse twice, she's now left, no idea who I will see next time

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @wiseowl_123, it is my view that you probably know more about Type 2 than your Doctor; I think Doctors like Dr Unwin are few and far between.

I would even go as far to say that you are more up to date with what works broadly for Type 2's than your diabetic nurse. You manage and watch your diabetes very well, so an option is to reduce your Metformin by cutting in half your tablet (anyone on slow release should never do this). I halved mine, watched what the effect was and eventually removed it altogether.

The protective properties of Metformin to eyes, cardiovascular system, cancer etc have to be weighed up; as you exercise and presumably eat well, it is a choice of balance.

Last edited:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
After spending a week on this forum anyone will know more about diabetes than 99% of HCPs.

Reactions: AzRami and Ultramum

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never seen a doctor for my diabetes except for the day I was diagnosed. To be honest it is probably a good thing because the nurse I see runs the diabetic clinic and probably knows more than the doctor. As for her reaction, well today she gave me a hug for doing so well at reducing my weight and levels so quickly. I explained how and she said it was a good idea if it works for me. The only piece of advice she gave me was to treat myself once in a while and make sure I'm eating enough fibre. I think I have been lucky to find such a great nurse.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting you mention she said about a treat. My Doctor made a note of 'has a treat now an then' because I sometimes have a small piece of 85% chocolate. She gave me the impression she felt it important. I wonder if it's believed to help with sticking to things if you allow yourself a treat?

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quite possibly. Knowing you can but choosing not to is a big motivator for me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting you mention she said about a treat. My Doctor made a note of 'has a treat now an then' because I sometimes have a small piece of 85% chocolate. She gave me the impression she felt it important. I wonder if it's believed to help with sticking to things if you allow yourself a treat?

I give myself treats every now and again. It gives me something to look forward to. I'm not averse to an ice cream or two on holiday (minus cone) nor a nice slice of Victoria Sponge with clotted cream, also on holiday if we have afternoon tea somewhere. One of those small packs of crisps in the multi packs (smaller than the small individual packets) makes a nice change on a salad every now and again but not too often. I don't eat chocolate at all, and that doesn't bother me.

Reactions: Debzz_

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I give myself treats every now and again. It gives me something to look forward to. I'm not averse to an ice cream or two on holiday (minus cone) nor a nice slice of Victoria Sponge with clotted cream, also on holiday if we have afternoon tea somewhere. One of those small packs of crisps in the multi packs (smaller than the small individual packets) makes a nice change on a salad every now and again but not too often. I don't eat chocolate at all, and that doesn't bother me.
I'm glad to see some one who does a few 'naughty ' things - I was blasted on here for having the odd biscuit or two ! At the end of the day we are human and each to their own .

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I'm glad to see some one who does a few 'naughty ' things - I was blasted on here for having the odd biscuit or two ! At the end of the day we are human and each to their own .
At the end of the day we all need a little bit of motivation - and let's face it, if we deprive ourselves permanently it makes us want it all the more! And how can anyone get through Easter without having at least one piece of chocolate?! I know, I hear you shout, but at the end of the day, one piece isn't going to cause serious harm - its about staying on track in the long run. Once you have got out of the habit of eating chocolate on a regular basis, you don't tend to go back to it (I certainly haven't) but I will still indulge in an occasional small piece of cake or a chocolate when I am at work. I don't have them in the cupboard at home so I can not be tempted which is the key.