Alcohol tips!?

howie

hi all,

i've got the second half of my brothers stag do coming up this weekend. the first half was a couple of months ago (pre-diagnoses), it was quite a mad one, over a whole weekend and not involving much sleep. i have been drinking since diagnoses but usually one or two pints, no more than 3 yet. i've made sure my levels are always above 5 before i sleep and so far have woken up with pretty much the same level when i wake (+ i have done a few 'mid-night' tests to make sure all's consistent). guess i'll have to sleep at a reasonable time.

i have a T1 friend who drinks ridiculous amounts and manages ok, but does so by running high and grabbin' a takeaway on the way home. i've read up briefly on the science of the liver being preoccupied filtering so doesn't release glucose into the blood like normal, just wondered if anyone had some healthier tips?

only ideas i've got is to split my long-lasting insulin and reduce the night time dose? does anyone else do that?

howie

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Try one of the classic Czech beers. they aare low in carbs

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Despite being advised (DAFNE course) that 1-2 glasses of wine with a meal can be ignored, I notice that when I drink even 1 glass of wine it has the above effect on my bs. I guess because my body's not used to regular alcohol, it has a greater effect. So be careful when drinking more than you're used to. If the stag do is spread over a whole day/weekend, I'd suggest play safe and eat carbs without insulin every few hours.

From what I remember, if you drink several pints you need to inject for the carbs, then eat without insulin before bed. Otherwise I the carbs hit you first, then the alcohol reduces bs hours later. I <<think>> it's inject your usual ratio for 10 carbs for every 2 pints - but I rarely drink and don't like ale/lager/beer so dozed through most of the DAFNE talk on alcohol :? Perhaps someone else can advise on amounts.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The safest (and in my opinion healthiest) option if you're going to go and get battered on a stag do, is to make sure you eat before you go to sleep. Drinking large amounts of alcohol will almost certainly result in a hypo (but I think you've already done the reading on that) so the answer is to make sure you've eaten before you go to bed. It is what my diebetes nurse recommends and hasn't failed me yet.

The healthiest answer, of course, is to not binge drink. Have a few beers, check your bg level before you go to bed and eat if necessary.

Don't let it stop you from enjoying the stag do!

Sam.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Splitting the basal dose is definitely a very good idea howie. That's what I do and, particularly if you've had a skinful the night before, it will reduce the risks of going too low the following morning.
Beware though, lots of booze has a paralysing effect on the liver which can last for many hours after the last shandy, well into the following day.
Keep an eye on the bg's and have fun!

All the best,

fergus

lionrampant

In my experience, stick to spirits. Less carbs released than with beer, and yeah there's a greater chance of going hypo - but which would you rather, forcing yourself to eat a king kebab on the way home or the tiring lethargy that comes with being high?

Disclaimer: I may just be a messed up fellow and this advice may have no relation to the reactions of your own body.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Stick to PG tips :D

bmtest

Howie

It's all about training and having the experience under your belt with Diabetes and the stag do is approaching quickly therefore I can only offer limited advice.

First off the good news is you have experienced a stag event which are more demanding than running a marathon.

You need to be aware of the duration and an idea of some of the places or bars you will be visiting then interface it with your daily insulin routine, they usually are not far out of synch.

Next of work out what you will be wearing make sure it has plenty of concealed pockets for Pen,Meter and emergency sugars material be well armed.

Know your beers and there carb contents rush to the bar early and glance at whats on offer in each bar differs this has to be quick as the person who's round it is does not want to be delayed while you choose. If pint's are been knocked back quickly between bars I used to swiftly pour half a pint in a plant pot when nobody was looking most bars have this type of thing. The main thing is to be enjoying the event as you normally would but without the volume at this stage.

The master plan then comes when everybody is half cut and you are still sober is they forget who's round it is.

Get some idea of if you will be eating also and plan around that.

It should be a good night if you plan ahead and hopefully you will have have better night than I did my shirt was ripped to shreds in the Red Leopard club, I had had that much I thought it was a female fire station with all the poles.

Good luck

howie

hey guys,

made it back in one piece, last night finished about 5.30am, checked my level a few times throughout the night and pretty much stuck to 7, thought i'd hang a bit high to be on the safe side. had a coupla slices of pizza before bed and woke up with level of about 6, hope it didn't peak to much while i was sleeping!

bouncers didn't batter an eyelid when i went through the metal detector in the club and put all my 'bits' in a basket. i was anticipating explaining myself. i was ready to say 'come on at least i defo won't be doing any drugs' i was a bit worried bout eating my dextrose tabs on the dance floor in case they thought i was doing pills lol.

friday night was a good one too, more of a pub crawl but my levels didnt go above 8 and probs due to hanging a little high no hypos all weekend! other than a few interruptions and the odd bit of anxiety felt like i had a 'normal' weekend out. just hope the alcohol hasn't done any damage to my vitals!

cheers guys,
howie

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
Hi Howie glad you enjoyed your stag parties!!!i am terrible i binge drink every weekend.Well everyone else does who i know from all the young ones to us oldies :lol: Ive been type 1 for 39 years and go out every weekend.I used to drink pils lager years ago.now i drink dry white wine and soda.I know i shouldnt but i do end up having about 6 or even 7 glasses on a friday and saturday.I only take my lantus with me i dont bother about my bm monitor because after a few glasses i coudnt care if my blood sugar was 30 or whatever because i dont think i would be testing when i have had a few!!!Dont get me wrong i make sure i have my lantus at 9pm every night even if i am out but i do not worry about my blood sugar levels then.We have got to enjoy ourselves sometimes.I am not going to be in pub and think(oh what are my blood sugars like)when i am dancing away etc.i must be one of the lucky ones though because i have never hypod when im out.I make sure i have a snack and carry dextrose and sometimes the next day i have to pay for it because i do get very low blood sugars but i think i can correct this so i am not going to miss a good night out with friends because i am type 1 diabetic!!

howie

hey sugarybibs,

good to hear that actually, i've been feeling a bit guilty after drinking, worrying that i'm messing my body up so it's good to hear from a 'pro' that we can still go out, drink and enjoy ourselves! i know it's not the most important thing in life but it's something i don't wanna miss out on. it's the actual wedding this weekend so i think i'll let my hair down a bit. specially as i pretty much haven't had a reading over 6 all week!

all best,
howie

p.s. bm test i did visit the 'female fire station'

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Howie.

Any idea what your Triglyceride levels are ?

Ken.

bmtest

Hi Howie

Glad you had a good night it is always a good feeling if everything goes smoothly, it is interesting how common these female fire stations are becoming in our city centres. You probably realised now to use the diabetic eye drops before going into these places.

:

howie

not had my triglyceride level tested yet, got my first hba1c etc. with consultant next month. hopefully they should be ok, i'm pretty active, eat well, have good control and don't drink heavily very often. usually only have 2-3 pints once or twice a week then may have a 'mad one' once or twice a month. but i hear some people's bodies just aren't as good at regulating these (triglycerides etc.) as others. bit worried bout the extra loss of B vitamin alcohol causes too, cos i know most diabetics have a deficiency anyway. though moderation is good for heart disease prevention! that's one thing.

all best,
howie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Howie.
As a previous heavy drinker myself, I think you should read this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A reduction of alcohol intake is crucial in keeping triglycerides in check.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one drink can increase triglycerides in susceptible people. If you have elevated triglycerides and consume alcohol - a reduced intake or not drinking alcohol at all is strongly advised.

Alcohol is a source of excess calories which are being turned into fat - usually, triglycerides, so the fat levels in your blood go up. But that’s only part of the story.........(end)

So next time you get your bloods done ask for a Full Lipid Panel which should include Triglycerides.

The odd binge is even worse for you. You may be OK now, but it's as well to bear it in mind.

Here is alink to the full article:
http://www.reducetriglycerides.com/alco ... mplate.htm

Ken.

howie

does a triglyceride test give you an idea of what your levels have been throughout or let you know what they were that day? providing mine are good i can just continue what i'm doing right? i've always maintained my weight with ease. i guess that's due to a fast metabolism which i hope stands me in good stead.

diabetics aren't prone to high triglyceride levels though are we? are you just suggesting we should maintain them as we're at risk from 'the complications'?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
What does the test result mean?
If you have a high fasting triglyceride level, your doctor may wish to find out whether you have a high fat diet, a high intake of alcohol, or have diabetes. It is unusual to have high triglycerides without also having high cholesterol. Having high lipids may increase your risk of developing heart disease and you may be given treatment aimed at lowering your lipid levels. The type of treatment used may differ depending on whether cholesterol, triglycerides, or both are high.
When triglycerides are very high, there is a risk of developing pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas).

The test takes the measurement at the time, the Trigs remain in your body. It is just something you need to bear in mind as you appear to like a good time and Alcohol plays a part in that. As with everything if you can moderate it now it will stand you in good stead in the future. Knowing what your levels are is a preventative measure. I wish I had known some years ago what the 'booze' was doing to me.

Ken.