all is not well

SandieD

I have been quiet for a while, as all is not well mentally and physically. At the beginning of October I got covid, then I got pneumonia, which I am still recovering from. It took two courses of antibiotics to stop the infection. On top of that, covid has left me with a very dry mouth, making eating or swallowing food very difficult. This was also why my salivary gland was swelling, apparently is a covid thing too. My taste buds are doing weird things, making some things bitter, some very salty, some too strong to bear. I am basically living on full fat milk, and trying to keep my daily carbs to under 100 - which is not easy.

In the midst of this I had some worrying blood test results and am being investigated for ovarian cancer and/or lung cancer, based on some of the x-rays, and an ultrasound scan. I am having a CT scan of my abdomen on Monday and see the respiratory consultant on Tuesday.

I dont know how people bear the wait, and fear, and worry while investigations are going on, let alone if the diagnosis is cancer. I am a mass of nerves, along with coughing and not being able to eat. If anyone has ideas on how to cope with this process of investigation, I welcome them.

I am sorry, but I dont have the reserves to help other just now, but I feel sure you understand why.

• Hug
Reactions: Marie 2

Nicki70

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a CT can with contrast for chest, abdomen and pelvis on Friday. I have one done every three months. You don’t need to lay completely flat. They have a triangular “wedge” on the scanning bed that they can put you in various positions with, so please do give them a call in the morning but of you cannot speak to any of the radiology team and can only speak with admin team they may not know the answer so try to go along to the appointment and discuss with them the problems you have and see what they can do, the earlier any diagnostics/diagnosis of whatever is going on with you is done then the better. Good luck. It really is done very very quickly. It takes longer for a cannula to go in that the actual scan, but I appreciate the whole getting yourself worried about managing it with the breathing issues. I’m sure it’s something they’ve come across before with respiratory inpatients who would also have the same breathing problems as yourself so hopefully they have a solution. Take care. X

Nicki70

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and forgot to say if walking from the front desk of the hospital to the area where they do CT scan is a distance you are going to struggle with, then either go much earlier and ask at front desk for a wheelchair and someone to push you around to CTscan (or if you have someone going with you then they can be told where to get a wheelchair from in the hospital and push you round to CT scanning), or ring CT scanning department in the morning when they open and explain you cannot walk the distance and can they arrange for a wheelchair and someone to wheel you round for your appointment.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
I have been quiet for a while, as all is not well mentally and physically. At the beginning of October I got covid, then I got pneumonia, which I am still recovering from. It took two courses of antibiotics to stop the infection. On top of that, covid has left me with a very dry mouth, making eating or swallowing food very difficult. This was also why my salivary gland was swelling, apparently is a covid thing too. My taste buds are doing weird things, making some things bitter, some very salty, some too strong to bear. I am basically living on full fat milk, and trying to keep my daily carbs to under 100 - which is not easy.

In the midst of this I had some worrying blood test results and am being investigated for ovarian cancer and/or lung cancer, based on some of the x-rays, and an ultrasound scan. I am having a CT scan of my abdomen on Monday and see the respiratory consultant on Tuesday.

I dont know how people bear the wait, and fear, and worry while investigations are going on, let alone if the diagnosis is cancer. I am a mass of nerves, along with coughing and not being able to eat. If anyone has ideas on how to cope with this process of investigation, I welcome them.

I am sorry, but I dont have the reserves to help other just now, but I feel sure you understand why.
Hello Lucy. Try to find some hypnosis deep relaxation lessons - there are some free on YouTube. I just googled fast hypnosis and relaxation, military technique and found some good ones. If I'm permitted to post a site on here, this is the first one I found.
Good Luck .

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am so sorry. I hope it turns out okay.

I know when I had a possible cancer scare I went crazy not knowing. I couldn’t get another test done fast enough. In my case everything was fine. But we hear cancer and it scares us big time. Sometimes just acknowledging we have a right to be anxious and nervous helps a little.

But major hugs.

Sometimes pouring the acidophilus powder from a pill into your mouth can help mouth pain. One of the problems can be is antibiotics can kill all bacteria good and bad and that causes yeast or thrush. But then you kill the yeast but you still don’t have the good bacteria to protect you. Not saying it will definitely help you with what’s causing your issue. Covid is a weird disease with possible all sorts of issues. But if you have any acidophilus you might try it.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@lucylocket61 A CAT scan is pretty fast. More like an x ray. I bet they can even give you oxygen if needed. A huge benefit could be them seeing how bad you are at the moment and maybe they can recommend more help that might be needed especially with the breathing. Have you checked your oxygen level? If you haven’t it sounds like it needs to be checked sooner versus later. Covid can cause some lingering issues besides the pneumonia causing breathing problems.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@lucylocket61 ,

I sincerely wish you all the best with your scan.
What I am about to suggest may sound silly, the coughing can take it’s toll on fraying nerves alone.
With me. If I get a cough. Hot water & lemon (cut lemon.) seems to alleviate. You could try it. & maybe take a flask of the stuff with you to your scan..

Also, for some reason. Singing? (Yep, sounds stupid.) I’m a singer in bands. Oddly, even with a nasty one. (On rare occasions.) it does the job whilst I do mine.. Then I get the guitarist to do the waffle twix tunes whilst I glug hot lemon water..
Even if it’s just a simple tune you know in the key of your choosing?

And by all means, “off load” any time you wish..

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lucylocket61 - I had a couple of CT scans about a year ago, in my case, focusing on my chest area. By comparison to an MRI it was astonishingly quick, and even though it was my chest being scanned, the breath holds were actually very brief.

The hospital will be used to dealing with people with all manner of challenges, physical and also anxiety based.

Yes, give them a call in the morning if it helps you, but please do go. Honestly, they will be used to people who can't quite do all they are asked.

If you can get yourself through it, you'll be a step closer to understanding what's causing all these issues you are having.

Good luck Lucy. We're all rooting for you.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news. Hopefully the beginning of a cascade of it.

Good luck today. Give yourself lots of time and try and stay calm. Try and trust they’ll find a way to help you get your scan.
Thanks. How long did it take you to fully recover from your recent covid and other infections?

Reactions: Lamont D

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. How long did it take you to fully recover from your recent covid and other infections?
Not sure I have entirely. I am still getting some joint and muscle issues that weren’t there in the acute infection stage. Mood, energy and motivation are still low too. But I don’t feel actively “ill“ two months on and life resembles normal for the most part.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sending you love and positive thoughts Lucy, we're all here for you anytime x