Am I expecting too much asking for a low carb diet when my employer caters?

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Attention - rant alert! I am having trouble when I need to go to work functions where I have to make do with whatever catering is provided. I have just come back from a 2 day site visit. I explained my dietary requirements, that I am low carb due to diet managed T2, and would they be able to cater for me (ie no bread, potato or pasta dishes really suitable for me). I was happy to take my own lunch for yesterday as I could keep it in a cool bag for a few hours, but that option wasn't open today as we were in a hotel last night. Yep, no probs I was told. Anyway, got to lunch today, lots of sandwiches, crisps and pizza bites, and a few chicken skewers. When I queried, was told "oops sorry, yes it was mentioned but we forgot. But we have got vegetarian options". Am I expecting too much? Exactly the same thing happened last time I had a similar work situation, so at least this time I was prepared with some nuts and pots of sugar free jelly. (To be fair though, I was consulted about the choice of restaurant last night to make sure I would be OK with their menu.)

What do other people do in similar situations? We were on a remote site, so popping out to the shop to get something alternative wasn't an option.

Sue

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If I were a low-carber I would empty the fillings out from the sandwiches and eat that together with the chicken skewers, no harm in explaining your experience to your boss.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Depends how often it happened I guess. If it were a regular thing, I'd try to take it further. As Noblehead says though, you can remove the bread and eat the chicken ? Not ideal but better than nothing !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All my life I have battled caterers and family about butties and the need to put spread or butter on them. Why o why? Can't they have butter on the side and let us make our own butties.
Now at a recent christening for my grandson and struggling not to hypo, the family were trying to tell me that I could have this, that and the other to stop me having a hypo. But I couldn't!
The wife eventually found out that the meat was carved from a Joint and it was great.

I am always getting asked why I don't eat buffets! It is really annoying!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A little bit different, but the majority of our neighbours all seem to have bread this, chips that, chicken nuggets etc....

So what I am doing for one neighbours cancer relief charity is with just one neighbour.. We are going to open up my garden and summerhouse for a few hours in 3 weeks and invite the other neighbours.. Adults and children to come and have some delicious food. This being done at a charge of £1 per person including children and they will also have a prize for every child that can eat someting off every plate.
It is to help my neighbour friend who has had neck cancer, cannot enjoy his normal foods and has no saliva. So myself and another healthy eating neighbour are trying to encourage others and my cancer friend to try different lovely options of food....

I'm not saying do this for a work situation.. But you could take photos of snacky foods, lunch foods that you eat at home and give the details to your boss..... And say that it is extremely important that food the same or similar could be offered to uou in these circumstances.

I used to arrange a lot of buffets and breakfasts etc for many board members and fellow managers years ago and if somebody requested something special for medial purposes such as ulcerative colitis etc then I **** well made sure they had it. Nowadays with improvement in technology it is far easier to take photos etc, list foods etc....

You should ask your boss to ensure that in the future that your specific dietary requirements could be considered better and give details to him or her of what foods are good... Not what foods are off!!

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Attention - rant alert! I am having trouble when I need to go to work functions where I have to make do with whatever catering is provided. I have just come back from a 2 day site visit. I explained my dietary requirements, that I am low carb due to diet managed T2, and would they be able to cater for me (ie no bread, potato or pasta dishes really suitable for me). I was happy to take my own lunch for yesterday as I could keep it in a cool bag for a few hours, but that option wasn't open today as we were in a hotel last night. Yep, no probs I was told. Anyway, got to lunch today, lots of sandwiches, crisps and pizza bites, and a few chicken skewers. When I queried, was told "oops sorry, yes it was mentioned but we forgot. But we have got vegetarian options". Am I expecting too much? Exactly the same thing happened last time I had a similar work situation, so at least this time I was prepared with some nuts and pots of sugar free jelly. (To be fair though, I was consulted about the choice of restaurant last night to make sure I would be OK with their menu.)

What do other people do in similar situations? We were on a remote site, so popping out to the shop to get something alternative wasn't an option.

Sue
If it is a requirement for you to be at the work function, not a social engagement that is optional, then they should meet your dietary requirements. Especially as you have informed them. They are discriminating against you. Have a word with H R.

Reactions: 4 people

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sue
How often do you have to go to these functions? And what type of vegetarian food? I doubt it was meat? A lot of vegetarian food is packed with carbs. Bet it hurt a little when they told you they'd forgotten? I would have been :(

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always assume the worst, so I go prepared. I bake a batch of almond muffins, and a loaf of linseed bread, and hope I can get hold of some salad leaves and ham/ chicken.
However, I think you have a strong case for getting the caterers to take your diet into account. It's really not hard to prepare a low carb meal, so they should make it happen. You could ask for omelettes, with meat and acceptable vegetables (e.g. bell peppers). A chicken salad would also be easy for them to make. A buffet can be easily enhanced for everyone present by putting a large bowl of salad leaves on the table. A few blueberries would not go amiss in their selection either.
If you want to take things further, I would suggest giving your employer a list of acceptable foods, and preparation methods (e.g. Don't make soup and sweeten it with a ton of sugar).

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually just pick at the bits I can eat (if any) and come prepared with a bag of nuts in my bag to fill up on later in my room. If anyone notices I'm not eating I say I'm not hungry - no point in making them feel bad. But I find that if I say early on something like "Wow, this looks delicious!" nobody notices when I don't actually eat.

I may be just chanelling my inner anorexic ;)
Kate

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually just pick at the bits I can eat (if any) and come prepared with a bag of nuts in my bag to fill up on later in my room. If anyone notices I'm not eating I say I'm not hungry - no point in making them feel bad. But I find that if I say early on something like "Wow, this looks delicious!" nobody notices when I don't actually eat.

I may be just chanelling my inner anorexic ;)
Kate

I'm with you on this one. Although I'm having time away from work at present, I do attend lots of social events, which usually include food. As I have my levels wrangled into decent shape, I will sometimes experiment at a function, I don't always want to, and certainly for a number of months didn't allow any experimentation. But, there's usually been something I can eat (when not feeling adventurous), even if it doesn't constitute a "decent" meal. In those situations, I have what I can, and maybe add a small piece of quiche or a sausage roll to my plate, so that anyone taking an interest doesn't label me the food nutter. ;) Whilst it is a waste of that item (I wouldn't eat it), it's not a great deal, and stops unwelcome enquiries.

One thing I am also mindful of is asking for diabetic friendly food, and understanding what the providers' interpretation of that might be. Having flown a lot since diagnosis, airline diabetic meals as only slightly better than the usual fare, in that I haven't yet been presented with pasta, but always potato or rice, and almost always bread. So, if professional caterers are being utilised, they will probably work to some guidelines (covering themselves insurance wise), and those guidelines may not necessarily be aligned to your diet.

I might be inclined to bulk up my emergency rations when in uncontrolled situations for a few days, rather than expect extraordinary treatment. I prefer to be known as someone who delivers a great job, rather than the food nutter who expects exceptional food.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ring up Ribs'R'Us and get 1/2 a set delivered and charge the firm..problem fixed

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Since almost everybody would benefit from a low carb version (less carb and especially sugar) it would be great if more caters and restaurants picked up the low carb trend, ideally with some natural healthy fat.

Reactions: 3 people

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone, some useful suggestions. I think next time I will be a bit more positive in suggesting the sort of things I can eat, and will also take a spoon (trying to eat egg mayo filling without bread and just fingers can get messy!). Will also think harder about different non refrigerated foods I can take as back up.
I'm afraid just not eating isn't an option (I get really hungry then really grumpy!), and I can't put up with normal bread, since flour seems to be one of the things that spikes me worst of all. High blood sugar makes me really tired, and I often have a long drive after these type of events.
And unfortunately this isn't really the sort of thing that HR could sort out as catering is often arranged locally. My boss has been present both times it happened but hasn't had much to say (I suspect he still sees my diet as a lifestyle choice rather than a dietary requirement).
Sue

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rather than fight your diabetic corner, you may do much better to contact the caterers directly and explain about your unfortunate wheat allergy... Such a pity... And projectile vomiting, in public, is soooo messy. Perhaps a plate of cold meat and salad? Lovely. Thank you. They will bend over backwards rather than risk someone think they caused food poisoning!

The real reason caterers put so much bread and pastry in everything, is that it is cheap and filling.

If they actually put out low carb food, everyone else would grab all the lovely chicken and ribs and eggs, and you would just be left with crumbs.

Reactions: 9 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rather than fight your diabetic corner, you may do much better to contact the caterers directly and explain about your unfortunate wheat allergy... Such a pity... And projectile vomiting, in public, is soooo messy. Perhaps a plate of cold meat and salad? Lovely. Thank you. They will bend over backwards rather than risk someone think they caused food poisoning!

The real reason caterers put so much bread and pastry in everything, is that it is cheap and filling.

If they actually put out low carb food, everyone else would grab all the lovely chicken and ribs and eggs, and you would just be left with crumbs.
Genius!

Reactions: 4 people

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Haha! Like this one, it might have to be plan c if plan b fails!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much

I think I might use the wheat allergy thing soon. I'm going away with my new group for a week away soon and haven't told anyone yet about my diabetes. I am a little concerned about the food issue as last time they all went out together they went to pizza express, luckily I wasn't with them. This time we will be in Paris, but I don't really want to be the awkward one saying I can't eat anything there can we go somewhere else. So maybe I'll state the wheat/grain intolerance, projectile vomiting.................. :p

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
...catering is often arranged locally....

Just a thought Sue, can you ask to arrange the catering next time? You could then maybe still have a carbfest for the 'normal' people and something far healthier for the rest of you far more normal people :)