Am I in denial.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
:shock: :crazy: :shock: :crazy: :shock: :crazy: :shock: :crazy: :shock: :crazy: :shock: :crazy:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
With the benefit of hindsight, those "thrushy" type things are a dead giveaway for diabetes. I was absolutely ridden with the stuff. If only I'd had the balls to take it to the Doctor, rather than trying to monopolise the whole of North London's canesten supplies, I would have been diagnosed a lot sooner.

A

Anonymous

borofergie said:
If only I'd had the balls to take it to the Doctor

perhaps unfortunate choice of words but agree with the sentiment - been there, done that, got the prescription.. :oops:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
You too Stephen? The amount of dosh I spent on the canestan Duo and the strange looks i got from Pharmacists for wanting the product because 'I'm male' followed by the lecture on my wife would need treating as well! I said there's no danger of my partner catching the thrush as 'Mr wriggly' was FAR to sore and itchy for any of that!! :shock: I wish I had got myself down the docs sooner too!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Paul1976 said:
You too Stephen? The amount of dosh I spent on the canestan Duo and the strange looks i got from Pharmacists for wanting the product because 'I'm male' followed by the lecture on my wife would need treating as well! I said there's no danger of my partner catching the thrush as 'Mr wriggly' was FAR to sore and itchy for any of that!! :shock: I wish I had got myself down the docs sooner too!

+1

Exactly the same. Seriously, I was having to rotate Chemists so they wouldn't catch me out.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
RoyG said:
just wondering if the nurse has said something along the lines of it's pointless giving him those, he is eating a cow every day and drinking a gallon of double cream

Best line I've read on the forum in days :lol:

RoyG said:
Well it's better than accepting something that from all the evidence does not control diabetes, I wont go down winging that's for sure this is round one for me and the gloves are on, and if nothing else it's keeping me going to the last round. I will fight this insipid disease with every thing at my disposal. Ding, Ding.

You sound really p*ssed off! Well done mate that's the way. Worked for me that did. I decided early on there is no way this is how I go out. Stick with those thoughts it really helps.

RoyG said:
Thinking about this diet one more positive thing I suffer from acid reflux had it for years, I read that, that goes with low carb diet, so I stopped the pills and I have not had it once since Sunday, normally it comes back within a day or two of me stopping the Tablets time will tell.

Yep I use to keep the Rennie factory going. Not any more.

A

Anonymous

B#*«¥•rds!

I might have known that acid reflux was related to the db. I even went to the hospital and had some aussie teenager stuff a camera down my throat for ten minutes. I stopped my omeprozole last week which would have had the symptoms back in a day or so and, touch wood, so far so good.

You'd think diabetes had just been invented the little that these people know!

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Well, I might as well gone to the Vets for all the use the Doctor was. The penny has dropped now they are not interested in any form of patient interaction, or anything other than the NICE code, you are nothing but another part on the production line. When asked would he support me in the Low carb diet the answer was NO !! why because I have to stick to the NICE guide lines, when asked why I could not have a blood sugar meter he skirted all round the woods and when pressed, after answers like they don't want me getting "paranoid" and constantly sticking myself, that word pops up again, "I said" do they all think people are stupid and incapable of understanding the readings or using them correctly, No No that,s not it, hmmm could have fooled me. Well why give one to somebody with type 1 and not type 2, Whats the difference? Answer, they need to know when to inject insulin. So why can I not try and manage my condition, can it not be as serious then? Oh yes it's just as serious you need to watch what you are doing. So why? COST was the answer at last we got there, pure and simple cost that's why. Then he proceeded to lecture on the virtues of the free Nation health service, excuse me but I am paying for the free health service which has been destroyed and have done all my working life. I would gladly pay for private if they let me keep my NI, Well I only have so much time per patient so good bye!!!!!! well thank you for didly squat just give me the pills and I will deal with it myself.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry you got such a response but, reading on here, and from my own experience, it seems fairly typical.

Stick with the advice here. its good. I bought myself a SDCodefree meter from Amazon. My doctor has (reluctantly) let me have a meter, but only 50 strips every 2 months, and I cant afford the strips for the meter she gave me. So I use the SDCodefree on instead most of the time. It is the cheapest one I have come across for the strips.

Unbeliever

borofergie said:
With the benefit of hindsight, those "thrushy" type things are a dead giveaway for diabetes. I was absolutely ridden with the stuff. If only I'd had the balls to take it to the Doctor, rather than trying to monopolise the whole of North London's canesten supplies, I would have been diagnosed a lot sooner.

I took mine to the doctor . Told him It might well be diabetes. had both thrush and cystitis both for the first time together.
Did all sorts of ess but not a blood test and assured me I couldnt possily have diabetes. thrush never ereally went away for abou 5 years. Doctor - several doctors all assuring me that noone of my size could possibly have diabees.

At that time they would not sell canestan to you without an inqusition. I used o wait until I found a chemist with a very yong girl at the counter - or better sill a very young man who woould be unlikely to "inquisite " me.
Drs kept saying if meds didnt work was nothing they could do. Saw at least 5 different drs. pity they are not more accountable.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
RoyG said:
Well, I might as well gone to the Vets for all the use the Doctor was. The penny has dropped now they are not interested in any form of patient interaction, or anything other than the NICE code, you are nothing but another part on the production line. When asked would he support me in the Low carb diet the answer was NO !! why because I have to stick to the NICE guide lines, when asked why I could not have a blood sugar meter he skirted all round the woods and when pressed, after answers like they don't want me getting "paranoid" and constantly sticking myself, that word pops up again, "I said" do they all think people are stupid and incapable of understanding the readings or using them correctly, No No that,s not it, hmmm could have fooled me. Well why give one to somebody with type 1 and not type 2, Whats the difference? Answer, they need to know when to inject insulin. So why can I not try and manage my condition, can it not be as serious then? Oh yes it's just as serious you need to watch what you are doing. So why? COST was the answer at last we got there, pure and simple cost that's why. Then he proceeded to lecture on the virtues of the free Nation health service, excuse me but I am paying for the free health service which has been destroyed and have done all my working life. I would gladly pay for private if they let me keep my NI, Well I only have so much time per patient so good bye!!!!!! well thank you for didly squat just give me the pills and I will deal with it myself.

Right been there done that. Now show him how wrong he is. Do everything wrong, do a low carb diet, get a meter
then do what i did Roy and shove you're next 3 monthly blood and cholesterol results right down his throat to show him what can be achieved. Then convert him so that the next Roy he meets gets a chance.

Like Lucy says the sdcodefree is a good bet. Cheapest place is the healthcare.co.uk shop on ebay. You can get the meter with 60 strips for around 18 quid. If you can buy as many extra strips as you can on the order as it saves postage. After the initial order strips are £5 per 50. Make sure you buy a UK mmol/l model rather than a US mg/dl one.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Woh woh woh, whats all this about thrush and cystitis how do I know if I have that? Erectile dysfunction according to missus I'm officially in the Monk's quarters because I cannot be bothered. Thought that was just my age????? Leave a man to have one catastrophe at a time please. I am only just getting my nugget round Diabetes.
Swiftly change subject here before I am dead and buried, can somebody point me please in the right direction for low carb recipes. Am I doing it right here, example breakfast, Rassberry's, Blackberry's, Strawberry's with little bit of muesli and Flax seed topped with double cream. Lunch, salad chicken with celery and primula cheese paste, dinner fry up no bread or anything just some oopsie bread (omlette) or steak, stir fry, Pork with salad or cauliflower mash cream and Philladelfia in, snack Almonds or Beef Jerky. I am running out of Ideas now? Think I am going to have to get second mortgage to finance this Diabetes. Missus is already telling me food bill is Rocketing, kids are on Bread and water, while Dad is eating like king Faruke!!!!

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
RoyG said:
Woh woh woh, whats all this about thrush and cystitis how do I know if I have that? Erectile dysfunction according to missus I'm officially in the Monk's quarters because I cannot be bothered. Thought that was just my age????? Leave a man to have one catastrophe at a time please. I am only just getting my nugget round Diabetes.
Swiftly change subject here before I am dead and buried, can somebody point me please in the right direction for low carb recipes. Am I doing it right here, example breakfast, Rassberry's, Blackberry's, Strawberry's with little bit of muesli and Flax seed topped with double cream. Lunch, salad chicken with celery and primula cheese paste, dinner fry up no bread or anything just some oopsie bread (omlette) or steak, stir fry, Pork with salad or cauliflower mash cream and Philladelfia in, snack Almonds or Beef Jerky. I am running out of Ideas now? Think I am going to have to get second mortgage to finance this Diabetes. Missus is already telling me food bill is Rocketing, kids are on Bread and water, while Dad is eating like king Faruke!!!!

OOOooo NICE guidelines, massively confusing is it not, how many would go with this if they know no different.

http://publications.nice.org.uk/prevent ... mendations

A

Anonymous

Sound's like you're getting to grips with the low carb food really well - nothing in your last post that sounds wrong.

It is a bit more expensive, do doubt about it, but generally my wife cooks a standard meal and I don't have the spuds or rice. I substitute roasted swede or celeriac or sometimes sweet potato - she just cooks it in the same pan in the oven as the chunky chips. We don't eat instant meals (never did before) so the family (when they're around) get the same food as before. I just have more veg (Cauli, Brocolli, Peas, Cabbage).

Once problem is pasta, because it is the meal in many cases. Our remedy for this is to make Lasagna as normal, but half of the dish is made with slices of Aubergine instead of Pasta sheets. So all the meat etc is the same (though I don't have the white sauce on my half). The trick with the Aubergine is to slice it thinly, lay it out on a plate for half an hour (or in the morning) with sea salt sprinkled on it. This dries it out - then quickly brown it a little in a frying pan with some olive oil before using it in the same way as you would pasta. You don't have to dry it like that but it can be a bit soggy otherwise.

Cheaper alternatives to steak include sausages (just choose the ones with the lowest 'total carbs' on the packet). Good quality burgers (Waitrose essential are delicious and £3 for 4 if not on offer) and gammon steak (I am a cheapskate and just buy 1 big one and we share it).

Oh and I prop up the Greek economy by eating gallons of their yoghurt every week (Total is the lowest carb one I have found)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Food looks good! Takes a while to get the budget sorted but we don't find it any more expensive once you get going.

Try reading this one. http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2012/04/17/dc12-0413.full.pdf It's the latest joint American and European statement on how Type 2's should be managed. The first bit is the most important as newly diagnosed diet only and shows how your gp and nurse should be treating you if they are following these latest guidelines. Be aware the second bit is a bit scary it shows how QUICKLY they will want to progress you onto drugs then insulin if you don't respond to a diet only approach. I printed it out and gave it to my DSN and GP.

The stupid bit is of course in the States and a lot of European countries the diet only approach at least has a chance as they recommend low carbing to some degree. In the UK where they want to stuff you full of carbs most people don't have a chance. In the UK three quarters of all diabetics fail to meet the NHS's pretty lax HbA1c target of less than 7.5%.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
xyzzy said:
Food looks good! Takes a while to get the budget sorted but we don't find it any more expensive once you get going.

Try reading this one. http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2012/04/17/dc12-0413.full.pdf It's the latest joint American and European statement on how Type 2's should be managed. The first bit is the most important as newly diagnosed diet only and shows how your gp and nurse should be treating you if they are following these latest guidelines. Be aware the second bit is a bit scary it shows how QUICKLY they will want to progress you onto drugs then insulin if you don't respond to a diet only approach. I printed it out and gave it to my DSN and GP.

The stupid bit is of course in the States and a lot of European countries the diet only approach at least has a chance as they recommend low carbing to some degree. In the UK where they want to stuff you full of carbs most people don't have a chance. In the UK three quarters of all diabetics fail to meet the NHS's pretty lax HbA1c target of less than 7.5%.
New my Atkins Diet training would come in handy one day at least I'm getting something right then, thanks for you help :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Well phase two started tonight. Went and got myself a treadmill, just finished my first 30min session and boy, phew!! getting my bpm to an average 116 (Calculate your target heart rate, 220-age(53) = 167x 60% gives BPM of 116.9) and holding it there really hits the spot, never figured how out of shape iv'e got. onward and upward not lost any weight yet though?? :D :D :D :D :D

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Could I being doing something wrong, been a really rubbish day today for some strange reason, last couple of days had an itchy rash in between fingers neck and groin, I started on treadmill yesterday to bump my exercise up, after which had some cheese for super, this morning I had for breakfast 1 slice of ham 1 slice of chicken and a bit of cheese, after which I had 15mins on treadmill, nothing excessive just fast walking pace, felt knackered after that, then for lunch, salad 2 hard boiled eggs, celery with primula cheese on, garlic and herb dressing low carb on salad, and baby tomatoes followed by fresh cream and berry's done in smoothie maker,. But I have been seriously irritable all day and stomach twitching all the time, and slept for an hour this afternoon that is not like me at all. I have had no dinner because just not hungry. could it be Metformin tablets or am I low on glucose?