Am I in denial.

MaryJ

hi roy

Re am i low on glucose? You could be as you were low carb all day, the body tends to sort itself out with a glucose dump from the liver to give you the energy your body needs.

My answer really is - what does the meter say?

Mary x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I have not got one yet, but Sunday was better after good nights sleep and had fried eggs and bacon for breakfast, done some exercise, had piece of chicken for Lunch with load of Volvic water that was nice no carbs in it, dinner had steak with salad and some Greek yogurt a few berry's and double cream. It could have been I was dehydrated and not eaten enough to provide energy I needed. Although at this stage I am still fumbling in the dark, my mother in law has a meter she has type 1 and is looking for it to give to me as she has two, so hopefully will have one, if not going to get one this week.

MaryJ

You're doing brilliantly Roy.

I'd be going out of my head without a meter at this point.

Well done you!

Mary x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
A quick question, when I saw the nurse and was told my Gtt was 11.1 should I have really had another hospital test, or any other form of test, and she did say I could try diet or if I have the metformin it will allow me to cheat a little with the diet ??? what did she mean by that, another one is looking on here they seem to prescribe the tablets to be taken 3 times a day yet mine is only 1-500mg tablet per day, why would this be the case.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and she did say I could try diet or if I have the metformin it will allow me to cheat a little with the diet ??? what did she mean

I have been prescribed 1 x 500 metformin as a starting dose. I have chosen to try diet only at this point, and it is working. So I cant help you with the Metformin question.

About the cheating bit. My nurse seems to think I can eat a lot of carbs and she will give me medication to counteract it. The more carbs I have, the more meds I will need. Not just lots of metformin only, but more and more powerful drugs.

I prefer to eat fewer carbs (around 80-100g a day) and not need any drugs. Its up to you how you approach your eating. Please, please get a meter and start testing. Then you will know what is happening in your body and what foods you can eat without raising your sugar levels without having to take more and more drugs.

Unless you decide you prefer to take the drugs and eat more carbs. But the drugs only work so far, then we are in trouble with the progression of this disease.

This is just my experience so far after 3 months.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
RoyG said:
I have the metformin it will allow me to cheat a little with the diet ??? what did she mean by that, another one is looking on here they seem to prescribe the tablets to be taken 3 times a day yet mine is only 1-500mg tablet per day, why would this be the case.

I expect your nurse understands that Metformin isn't a magic bullet. For the first month after my diagnosis I had a meter but no meds until my first appointment. By the time that first appointment arrived by low carbing I had cut my levels to nearly normal but they were still quite spikey after I ate. The Metformin (1 x 500g) had an immediate effect. It only cut my levels down by 1 more point but certainly stabilised them in terms of spikiness. The stability of my levels not the background level got even better when the dose was upped to 2 x 500g. When they upped to 3 x 500g I saw no difference but still take all three as Metformin is beneficial for your heart.

They like to build up the dose of Metformin over time as it can cause some side effects such as stomach cramps and running to the loo. My DSN put be on one tab then upped to 2 tabs a week later and then to three a month after that.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Oh the gods of sugar are toying with me now, just went into one of the lecture theaters to check on some cooling faults, to be confronted by a massive plate of various sandwiches on all sorts of bread, biscuits and cream cakes galore. As I stood there dreaming and salivating, the secretary then came in and said OH help yourself they where for a meeting that has now been postponed. F******** Arhhhhhhhhhhh S********* they looked Delicious, why oh why??????? I ran out like a wounded dog. So here I sit now in my Office having a breakdown eating my now usual Ham, chicken slices, Salad and Celery with cheese spread!!! Oh look another cheery tomato Yummy.
Mother in law has now found blood test meter and is getting it checked and getting some strips for it so should be testing soon, as can be seen from above diet I am probably now moving into Ketosis as I really need to lose a few stone, I will then adjust for levels when achieved so at present I do not imagine I am spiking my blood sugar levels.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You poor old (low carb) Sausage!!!

I feel your pain. DH has just made some chocolate brownies for his and DS's pudding. Its hard sometimes :(

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
RoyG said:
So here I sit now in my Office having a breakdown eating my now usual Ham, chicken slices, Salad and Celery with cheese spread!!! Oh look another cheery tomato Yummy.

Good man. Proud of you mate :lol:

Lunch is the worst. Make some of Defren's Cheeseburger Pie http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4871&start=300 and take some of that to have with the rabbit food. You'll have the office demanding the recipe it really is the dogs gonads. Further down the thread Mrs xyzzy does some variants which also went down well.

Morgaine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
bad manners house/rap
Oh yes, it can be really hard at times!
I went for retinal photography yesterday and they spotted some swellings. They said it wasn't anything to worry about. But it got me thinking. A choice between falling off the diabetic wagon or go blind? I have to think like that to help me eat properly! I really resent having it sometimes!

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I know one thing I am going to have to start on those recipes, or I will end up going nuts.xyzzy I am coming to yours for tea, no wonder you can stay on the wagon with that lovely food the missus cooks, my missus thinks the pans are just for target practice on me :crazy: :crazy:

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Ha Ha, I was driving home tonight listening to Radio 2 and they had a guest on called Zoe Harcomb promoting her book The Harcombe Diet, and guess what!!! It is basically the LCHF, Atkins diet to the letter for the induction stage and she was saying exactly the same as is said on here and on Dietdoctors web site, no difference what so ever. She was implicit in the fact that we need to get to proper food, vegetables that grow above ground and fish poultry, beef along with fats, and stop counting calories and consuming sugar and starchy foods along with telling people to stop grazing. I wonder what the medical professionals thought of that one, I wonder if they have got it wrong? after all these years telling us how to kill ourselves on low fat diets??? The plot thickens. sorry guys I sorta snapped on way home and skidded to a halt at the Kebab shop, where I partook of Marinated chicken with salad Kebab minus the pita bread, they did look at me strangely when I asked, but they put extra salad on to make up for no pita bread, but I reason it's still in my 50g of carb range for day, don't know what was in the marinade though chilly I think.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
RoyG said:
sorry guys I sorta snapped on way home and skidded to a halt at the Kebab shop, where I partook of Marinated chicken with salad Kebab minus the pita bread, they did look at me strangely when I asked, but they put extra salad on to make up for no pita bread, but I reason it's still in my 50g of carb range for day, don't know what was in the marinade though chilly I think.

Kebabs are the low-carb takeaway food of kings. Well done for resisting the pita. Lamb-shish is just about the healthiest thing you can eat.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
borofergie said:
RoyG said:
sorry guys I sorta snapped on way home and skidded to a halt at the Kebab shop, where I partook of Marinated chicken with salad Kebab minus the pita bread, they did look at me strangely when I asked, but they put extra salad on to make up for no pita bread, but I reason it's still in my 50g of carb range for day, don't know what was in the marinade though chilly I think.

Kebabs are the low-carb takeaway food of kings. Well done for resisting the pita. Lamb-shish is just about the healthiest thing you can eat.
I thought they where just was not sure with having the marinade, what are low carb Chinese foods.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Don't forget the Deep fried Crab claws and crispy seaweed!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Paul1976 said:
Don't forget the Deep fried Crab claws and crispy seaweed!

Rookie error their Paul I'm afraid! Crab is an anagram of "CARB" so you must never eat them!

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Indian cuisine suppose a popadom is out of the question then? Just watched film before Arctic Blast bit like Ice age only on £20 Budget and made in Australia, Why do they always have a Diabetic in them who ends up going Hypo because they run out of insulin, and the whole world nearly came to an end because the brilliant scientist had to make a mad dash to chemist, like you would if you were busy saving the world, see they are blaming us for nearly causing the end of the world now!! on the plus side she had an Accucheck and a reading of 5.8 mmol, I was watching intently how she did the reading. I really need to get a life folks this DB is starting to puddle my nugget :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: