Any Experience re Cats and LCHF for Weight loss, pls?

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, rather a long shot and I appreciate this is a rather bizarre question on here but I can't think of anywhere better to ask, to be honest ;) I hope this is allowed ;)

I will be having full discussion with the vet, before changing anything, I hasten to add and will ask if Hypothroidism or Insulin Resistance might be a factor.

Just as the NHS HCPs recommend the 'EatWell Plate' and that we need carbs for energy etc, I'm wondering if the vets might hold the same train of thought. Looking at Feline diets, a diabetic diet does seem to contain higher protein and fat and lower carbs so perhaps it would be a positive move, even though there's no suggestion of my cat being diabetic.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience regarding LCHF for cats, please. :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't really help. My diabetic dog definitely perked up after I was diagnosed and I changed his morning breakfast for sausages and eggs.

Google diabetes cats forum, you might get some information.

Good luck.

Reactions: Energize

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes you can raw feed which is 100% meat diet. Nutriment, natures menu and natural instinct both do frozen prepaired cat diets I can also recommend Honeys raw foods.

If you can stomach it a lot of cats like eating 'whole prey' also I can give more detail if its required.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My cat was either a really picky b***** or under the impression that she needed to feed me up or give me tokens of her affection! - she would regularly leave me small dead rodents ( mice, voles etc) each with just one back leg eaten

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Since a cat is an obligate carnivore surely it will do better on a pure meat diet? Yes I know that they like milk and chocolate etc. but you don't see fat lions! Just domestic moggies and I think it is common for them to get overweight or diabetic as they age. Hopefully the vet will not make you give your cat insulin jabs x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - a cat is a carnivore, pure and simple - I used to feed mine on minced meat or fish - cooked, as there is always the possibility of parasites or bugs. I fed my dog with various parts of animal plus small amounts of oatmeal - as they are slightly more omnivorous and he was really fit. Many people asked me about his diet and then decided it was too much trouble.
My cats always brought back food for the household after a night out, and were praised for their efforts - the poor little dead things were disposed discretely so as not to offend.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes - a cat is a carnivore, pure and simple - I used to feed mine on minced meat or fish - cooked, as there is always the possibility of parasites or bugs. I fed my dog with various parts of animal plus small amounts of oatmeal - as they are slightly more omnivorous and he was really fit. Many people asked me about his diet and then decided it was too much trouble.
My cats always brought back food for the household after a night out, and were praised for their efforts - the poor little dead things were disposed discretely so as not to offend.

Would have been better of feeding the presents to the dog.

No need to cook meat for animals, they have much higher stomach acidity than us naturally to deal specifically with raw meat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When my dog had a minor operation, and the pre-op blood tests showed higher than normal BS levels, I had a long discussion with him about diabetes. He told me there is a big problem in the cat world - a diabetes epidemic. It is not as rampant in dogs, but is increasing. Probably due to a similar potential reason for the human T2 epidemic - too much cereal and grains in the food.

(It turned out my dog has normal canine BS levels - they were raised that day due to the stress of being at the vets and being messed about with!)

Vets sell and recommend food from certain manufacturers because they receive hefty financial benefits from it.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your time and efforts.

I'll take a look at Cat Forums to see what people think/do re feeding raw/cooked meat and fish. Certainly, that would be a low carb approach.

I tend not to buy packaged food from the vets and buy on internet after checking prices etc. Yes, I had wondered if vets got a cut of the sale of promoted foodstuffs ;)

I'll look into Honey, Nature's Best etc too, to see what I feel may be useful to try. Thanks for prompting this

So, I'll continue researching for now. I've got appt to discuss this with Vet Nurse on Thursday morning, so will be interesting to hear what s/he will advise, eh?

Again, thanks

Reactions: Bluetit1802

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also Google k9diabetes.com, American, mainly for dogs. Not much on low carb but seem to remember a lot fed grain free.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you can raw feed which is 100% meat diet. Nutriment, natures menu and natural instinct both do frozen prepaired cat diets I can also recommend Honeys raw foods.

If you can stomach it a lot of cats like eating 'whole prey' also I can give more detail if its required.

Do you have any low carb dry or wet pouch food recommendations, or are they no good?

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have any low carb dry or wet pouch food recommendations, or are they no good?
Hi
Both my cats have been on Royal Canin Obesity Dry food, plus Felix Meaty Loaf wet food, for several years. Even on this, one of them has gained weight. I've reduced her food slightly but she's always hungry (or maybe just greedy ;) ).

I just wondered if anyone on here had experience of low carb diet re cats ;) I see the vet nurse on Thursday to discuss this so will be interesting to hear what she suggests. From looking further on the internet, after reading the above posts, it does seem that the Vet world are much more clue'd up re low carb for obesity and/or diabetes, which I found interesting. Maybe our HCP should have some work experience at the vets ;) LOL

Maybe some 'real' meat, cooked or raw, might be worth a try in addition to their regular food as it would be low carb but perhaps fill her up more ... I'll see what the vet nurse says first, though.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Both my cats have been on Royal Canin Obesity Dry food, plus Felix Meaty Loaf wet food, for several years. Even on this, one of them has gained weight. I've reduced her food slightly but she's always hungry (or maybe just greedy ;) ).

I just wondered if anyone on here had experience of low carb diet re cats ;) I see the vet nurse on Thursday to discuss this so will be interesting to hear what she suggests. From looking further on the internet, after reading the above posts, it does seem that the Vet world are much more clue'd up re low carb for obesity and/or diabetes, which I found interesting. Maybe our HCP should have some work experience at the vets ;) LOL

Maybe some 'real' meat, cooked or raw, might be worth a try in addition to their regular food as it would be low carb but perhaps fill her up more ... I'll see what the vet nurse says first, though.

Thank u. I do feed my cat chicken sometimes. Let us know what your vet nurse says :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve taken my three off dried food and increased their canned stuff, as two were heavier than they should be. They’re back to a healthy weight now - it suddenly dawned on me when I stat]rated keto myself that I was giving my obligate carnivores grains, and they’re just not designed to process them. It hadn’t occurred to me before... :wacky:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve taken my three off dried food and increased their canned stuff, as two were heavier than they should be. They’re back to a healthy weight now - it suddenly dawned on me when I stat]rated keto myself that I was giving my obligate carnivores grains, and they’re just not designed to process them. It hadn’t occurred to me before... :wacky:

Have you looked up the ingredients on the cans? They are often thickened and bulked out by carby nasties. Some are fine. Others not so fine.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have fed 2 cats and 2 dogs on raw prey model low carb food for years. Both cats started on dry food and transitioned. Both dogs been raw all their lives.

I wouldn’t feed anything else.

Both cats now dead, one a stroke, one a seizure, but both were gleaming with clear bright eyes and clean translucent claws right to the end. The one that lived til 19 was black with shining mirror like fur til his last day.

I’m frankly appalled at the ageing cats I see around. Dull fur. Obese. Scrawny flanks. Sagging bellies. Mine were never like that.

And the dogs age 5 and 3 areregularly mistaken for puppies because of their fur condition, clear eyes and energy levels. Every time they see a vet, the vet does a double take when I tell their ages.

It is terrible what the pet food industry has done to our pets. They are become just as badly fed, ill, malnourished and sick as humans are - on junk food convenience foods.

D

Deleted member 308541

I brought home fresh meat from work when we had a couple of cats, they also liked bacon and egg, crab meat and prawn heads etc.

The kids gave them what ever was left in their cereal bowls at breakfast, if we were not watching what they were up to.

It is terrible what the pet food industry has done to our pets.
Don't forget the old pensioners who also eat pet food, they are dull and listless as well.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Energize don't forget fat if reducing the carbs. There is always oily fish.
I was wondering about the fat content. As they are both on RC Obesity Dry, I had a thought that it would possibly have lower fat content and that, if I were to give them more fat, that they might not feel so hungry, just as us humans find fat helps to stave off hunger etc. Yes, some oily fish could be useful in this respect.

This will be worth considering. I've always given wet and dry to all my cats over the years. Although I am always careful not to overfeed my cats, and even use particular containers so I can't give extra, one of my previous cat put on weight, although I did manage to get it reduced. She was 22 3/4yrs when she died!!! I agree re my own LCHF diet has caused me to consider what I'm actually feeding the cats.

Have you looked up the ingredients on the cans? They are often thickened and bulked out by carby nasties. Some are fine. Others not so fine.
Yes, there are some foods I would never buy

I have fed 2 cats and 2 dogs on raw prey model low carb food for years. Both cats started on dry food and transitioned. Both dogs been raw all their lives.
I don't think I could cope with giving them raw birds and mice, even though it's a natural food for them ;)

Both cats now dead, one a stroke, one a seizure, but both were gleaming with clear bright eyes and clean translucent claws right to the end. The one that lived til 19 was black with shining mirror like fur til his last day.

And the dogs age 5 and 3 areregularly mistaken for puppies because of their fur condition, clear eyes and energy levels. Every time they see a vet, the vet does a double take when I tell their ages.
That's brilliant. Sounds like you're doing it right ;)

I brought home fresh meat from work when we had a couple of cats, they also liked bacon and egg, crab meat and prawn heads etc.
Don't think I'd give them the bacon and egg - they'd soon be hoicking it off my plate ;) So far, they don't bother me when I'm eating so that might well change if they think they eat the same! ;)

Don't forget the old pensioners who also eat pet food, they are dull and listless as well.
Yes, it's shocking that some people can only afford to eat pet food :(

Many thanks for all your posts. This has been very interesting, and helpful