Any Other Former Low Carb Skeptics?

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm curious . .. are there others who were initially skeptical of low carb eating? If so, what changed your mind?

I was skeptical of low carb eating in general, before I ever knew I had a problem with glucose blood levels. I think it's because I envisioned the way the Atkins diet has been portrayed in the popular media - people eating great quantities of steak and butter and no vegetables at all. It sounded very unhealthy to me.

What changed my mind was my best friend. She was diagnosed with Type 2 about a year and half ago (only 2 months ago for me) with a very high hba1c of 26%. She was put on multiple meds and sent to diabetes education where she was given the Canadian equivalent of the "Eat Well" plate. (The Canadian Wheat Board is a sponsor for the pamphlet she received,) She saw a reduction in numbers with the medications but could not get down below 10%. She then switched to low carb eating (including vegs, just not certain ones ;) ) . Over time, she's been able to eliminate all of her meds except a very low dose of insulin at bedtime for dawn phenomena - her numbers are in normal range, 4%-5.4%, usually under 5%. Her doctor is thrilled (we share the same family doctor. This doctor did recommend I reduce my carbs, probably based on my friend's experience.)

When I found out I had diabetes, my hb1ac was 7%, I looked at her experience and decided not to bother with the plate divided into fours (1/4 for grains) but go directly to eating low carb. (Initially I tried low GI but she gently told me that it wasn't that good for diabetes because it still allowed things like sweet potatoes.) I also followed her other 2 recommendations, buy a a meter & start testing (especially determine which foods cause spikes) and come here. Initially I started out with a target of 80 carbs per day max. After a couple weeks. without trying I found I was consistently eating under 50. I currently usually eat under 30 daily. I found the switch was less difficult as I initially anticipated. Frankly, it's easier than previous diets (low fat) that I've tried in the past that left me hungry all the time.

I'm 2 months in and I have about a month more for my followup hb1ac and doctor's visit. I plan on talking to my doctor about the changes I've seen and giving her the logs from my meter. I'll also give her a copy of an article by Dr. Unwin written for other physicians as she now she now has 2 low carbers with Type 2 in her practice.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I was conservative with a small c. I did low GI and extreme exercise to just tip into the non-diabetic range. "We", my wife and I researched this site and gradually trusted full fat. I am now Keto and Intermittent fasting with exercise. It is a tragedy that many are oblivious to this choice.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Great quantities of steak and no vegetables sounds healthy to me!

Reactions: kokhongw

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I have a history with carbs and also a limit on what I can eat, because of a few intolerances to many foods.
I was always a fussy eater, in a low wage full household!
I was told from a young age to eat everything that was on my plate, including those foods which my body even at such a young age knew wasn't really good for me.
My parents could not understand why, dairy, margarine, cheese, cooked vegetables, cereals but I didn't mind porridge, seafood, I like some white fish, like cod, haddock. Sauces, dressing, and foreign food, no way! I enjoyed chips with everything, mashed potatoes was a definite no thanks because of my dairy intolerance. And so on, I just couldn't get my taste buds to enjoy some food, I was forever finding myself on the wrong end of school dinners and my parents.
Move on to being a parent, already diagnosed with dairy intolerance, still plenty in house, both working, dietary choices not brilliant, but affordability, time, social and a mortgage to work around, cheap alternatives to healthy food choices.

But even the meat and two veg, was not for me, just the meat and spuds, mostly roasties, because the wife loves her roast dinners.
Didn't fancy the Atkins, just ate what agreed with me, and off course, it wasn't!
Moving on to this century, it all caught up with me, told to look after myself, eat more healthy, such as the eat well plate, and tried every diet that I could find, but it made me even worse. For over ten years slowly putting weight on, I was eating healthy, according to the doctors, dsns, dietary advisors and even one endocrinologist, who all agreed that porridge for breakfast, baked potatoes and a filling, preferably with a carby filling, with fibre, then a meat and two veg evening meal but not chips!
I tried to eat like this, but my weight still gained slowly but surely. I kept asking why, and obviously my health was suffering, my endocrine system was becoming more fatty, my cholesterol levels were worse, my organ function tests were high. I was told again and again to eat less and eat the above diet. I was diagnosed with T2.
Another four years or so, I was religiously writing my numbers in my food diary, testing for whatever reason, lots of symptoms, health going down the drain. The doctors etc, still insistent that healthy eating was the answer. My weight was nearly eighteen stone, something was clearly not right!

I had a hypo in front of my latest GP and referred to an endocrinologist, who did have a clue what the hell was going on, he diagnosed me after a series of tests, he directed my attention to this site. I never had a clue, nor all my medical care practitioners.
I was eating healthy foods, but it was this healthy food that was going to put me in a coffin. I was not eating healthy for me.
Carbs, sugars were literally killing me.
Potatoes were making me obese!
I was non diabetic, I had been misdiagnosed, and I went through hell because of the ignorance of what these so called healthy foods recommended for me had done to me.
I do realise that being weird, because of the number of intolerance foods, I have to avoid, but if they had tested my insulin levels twenty years ago, they would have seen my hyperinsulinaemia. They would have had a different view about healthy dietary advice for me.
It's shocking in this day and age, that so many are not aware of what a change away from so called healthy foods will make you healthier.
There is so much wrong with dietary recommendations within the medical profession and like statins, there will not be a clear definitive dietary treatment for diabetes and other endocrine conditions.

I lost six stone, got my health back, my endocrine system is really healthy, symptoms have mostly gone, and my last health review was described as perfect, hba1c 37, cholesterol in the low fives overall, good high, bad low.
I got my life back, I got my energy back, I'm enjoying working again, I would not go back there again.
Very low carb has worked, avoiding those foods, is healthy for me, I have my balance right, I'm old but in great health!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm curious . .. are there others who were initially skeptical of low carb eating? If so, what changed your mind?

I was skeptical of low carb eating in general, before I ever knew I had a problem with glucose blood levels. I think it's because I envisioned the way the Atkins diet has been portrayed in the popular media - people eating great quantities of steak and butter and no vegetables at all. It sounded very unhealthy to me.

What changed my mind was my best friend. She was diagnosed with Type 2 about a year and half ago (only 2 months ago for me) with a very high hba1c of 26%. She was put on multiple meds and sent to diabetes education where she was given the Canadian equivalent of the "Eat Well" plate. (The Canadian Wheat Board is a sponsor for the pamphlet she received,) She saw a reduction in numbers with the medications but could not get down below 10%. She then switched to low carb eating (including vegs, just not certain ones ;) ) . Over time, she's been able to eliminate all of her meds except a very low dose of insulin at bedtime for dawn phenomena - her numbers are in normal range, 4%-5.4%, usually under 5%. Her doctor is thrilled (we share the same family doctor. This doctor did recommend I reduce my carbs, probably based on my friend's experience.)

When I found out I had diabetes, my hb1ac was 7%, I looked at her experience and decided not to bother with the plate divided into fours (1/4 for grains) but go directly to eating low carb. (Initially I tried low GI but she gently told me that it wasn't that good for diabetes because it still allowed things like sweet potatoes.) I also followed her other 2 recommendations, buy a a meter & start testing (especially determine which foods cause spikes) and come here. Initially I started out with a target of 80 carbs per day max. After a couple weeks. without trying I found I was consistently eating under 50. I currently usually eat under 30 daily. I found the switch was less difficult as I initially anticipated. Frankly, it's easier than previous diets (low fat) that I've tried in the past that left me hungry all the time.

I'm 2 months in and I have about a month more for my followup hb1ac and doctor's visit. I plan on talking to my doctor about the changes I've seen and giving her the logs from my meter. I'll also give her a copy of an article by Dr. Unwin written for other physicians as she now she now has 2 low carbers with Type 2 in her practice.

You could also take a copy of @Rachox blood testing leaflet and the inspirational stories booklet we put together for the Birmingham event. DCUK are just tweaking our booklet but it should be available on here soon. Brilliant tool. Just shows you what you can do by simply lowering your carb intake. I myself was amazed at how quickly the weight came off and how I didn't feel hungry. My hba1c reduced from 62 to 41 in 6 months.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not me.

It made perfect sense the first time I read about it, and my own BG testing results and weight loss just further backed it up.

Then getting an HbA1c of 32 three months after it being 88 made it an absolute fact to me.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I was conservative with a small c. I did low GI and extreme exercise to just tip into the non-diabetic range. "We", my wife and I researched this site and gradually trusted full fat. I am now Keto and Intermittent fasting with exercise. It is a tragedy that many are oblivious to this choice.

I agree, there are still many who haven’t heard of lchf or keto. I feel stupid because I had type 2 for 9 years before even realising that carbs are sugar. Cut out the little sugar I had and ate the ‘healthy plate’ as advised by dn and dietitian. Needless to say this didn’t work!

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m now a total convert to lCHF. When first diagnosed in May 2015 I was totally on board with the lower the fat and replace with carbs and move more message that I read about everywhere as the solution to my woes even though somehow I’d got to a hbaca1 of 97 by eating like that I just thought I needed to try harder. I must be going wrong? Result of tightening up my act with hardly any food( think I became lowercarb too by default as eating so little) and massive increase in exercise was a loss of two stone and reduction in hbaca1 by September 2015 to much congratulations all round from DN so I carried on eating little, feeling hungry the whole time and spending more and more time on the exercise bike but within next 18 months I’d put one of the lost stones back on and my hbaca1 was climbing again it was also clear that the DN thought I was fooling myself and cheating - she commented that I was in denial!believe you me I’d accepted it and was trying so hard. I was getting very low about it and just saw it as a progressive illness that would get worse no matter what I did.
In desperation in September 2017 I started searching round for answers and came across the low carb programme and things started to make sense. I’ve never looked back since and what a turn around. I rarely feel hungry, I only do moderate exercise but I’ve lost a further four and a half stones, brought my hbaca1 down to 30 - am off all my medications, diabetic and high blood pressure, and it’s the answer for me. I would have thought the way I’m now eating was decidedly odd when I was a low fat dieter but now I’m a total convert and would never go back to my old way of eating.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Your GP may want to take the online course for GPs available on the Royal College of GPs website. It is quick and was written by David Unwin. It has plenty of back up evidence plus useful mateirals to give to patients. What was alarming to me looking at the stats for the pre course quiz in which many of the GPs must have gotten pretty low scores!

Glad you are doing well on low carb and spreading the word in your medical practice!

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could also take a copy of @Rachox blood testing leaflet and the inspirational stories booklet we put together for the Birmingham event. DCUK are just tweaking our booklet but it should be available on here soon. Brilliant tool. Just shows you what you can do by simply lowering your carb intake. I myself was amazed at how quickly the weight came off and how I didn't feel hungry. My hba1c reduced from 62 to 41 in 6 months.

Unfortunately I don't think her leaflet is available here (Canada), if I could get a copy online to print out, I'd love to show it to my doctor.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your GP may want to take the online course for GPs available on the Royal College of GPs website. It is quick and was written by David Unwin. It has plenty of back up evidence plus useful mateirals to give to patients. What was alarming to me looking at the stats for the pre course quiz in which many of the GPs must have gotten pretty low scores!

Glad you are doing well on low carb and spreading the word in your medical practice!

Again, I'm in Canada - I don't think it's for our doctors. I think it's a great idea and I wish it was available here. I will mention this information about what is happening in the UK & Dr. Unwin's course to her.I know the family practice doctors here in Ontario, Canada have some contact with each other and re certification courses every 2 years.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again, I'm in Canada - I don't think it's for our doctors. I think it's a great idea and I wish it was available here. I will mention this information about what is happening in the UK & Dr. Unwin's course to her.I know the family practice doctors here in Ontario, Canada have some contact with each other and re certification courses every 2 years.
If your HCP's are open minded I think Dr Unwin's course is available on www.dietdoctor.com as well as having some information on the Public Health Collaboration website
https://phcuk.org/sugar/
Also one of his papers is here
https://insulinresistance.org/index.php/jir/article/view/8

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you to Debandez for a pdf copy of the leaflet. I'll take it into my doctor for my appointment in early October along with the Dr. Unwin article for physicians.

Thanks bulkbiker, I'll give her this information as well. I think she'll be receptive because she's seen very positive results with my friend who also went Low Carb. Hopefully, with 2 of us in her practice, she'll promote it more with recently diagnosed Type 2s.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was a prefect no-brainer for me!

Once I was aware that it was carbs that raised glucose levels it made complete sense to remove the worst offenders from my diet. But I'd already had good and often debilitating lessons in the benefits of avoiding foods than can cause issues as I'd known for years that certain foods could cause my migraines.

ETA I've also always tended to eat full fat food from choice, the only thing I've ever deliberately chosen otherwise was skimmed milk. So LCHF wasn't a big issue.

Robbity

Last edited:

Beebeelady

The theory makes complete sense to me, but in practice I am a little disappointed as I do not see the results I really want. I am pre diabetic, HBA1c 44, and I cannot seem to get it below this, despite doing LCHF and exercising well. My fasting blood sugar is usually around 7-8 early morning. It would help me if those who have succeeded could give an example of a days eating (with approx amounts) so I can judge whether I am on the right track. It is very interesting to see all your comments.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The theory makes complete sense to me, but in practice I am a little disappointed as I do not see the results I really want. I am pre diabetic, HBA1c 44, and I cannot seem to get it below this, despite doing LCHF and exercising well. My fasting blood sugar is usually around 7-8 early morning. It would help me if those who have succeeded could give an example of a days eating (with approx amounts) so I can judge whether I am on the right track. It is very interesting to see all your comments.
What kind of things do you eat?
How "low carb" have you gone?
What do you like to eat .. that would be useful info.

keithwjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb for me. Results below.

Diagnosed Jan 2018. HbA1c: 48. Cholesterol: 4. Weight: 89kg. Diet & exercise only.
Apr 2018. HbA1c: 37. Cholesterol: 2.9. Weight: 82.5kg.
Sep 2018. HbA1c: 35. Cholesterol: 3.5. Weight: 79.4kg.

Keith

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Low carb for me. Results below.

Diagnosed Jan 2018. HbA1c: 48. Cholesterol: 4. Weight: 89kg. Diet & exercise only.
Apr 2018. HbA1c: 37. Cholesterol: 2.9. Weight: 82.5kg.
Sep 2018. HbA1c: 35. Cholesterol: 3.5. Weight: 79.4kg.

Keith

Cholesterol 2.9 and 3.5?, wow, how did you manage that!

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was given dietary plan by the endocrinologist, but did not follow it (too much carbs).
This forum helped me to improve significantly with low carbs.
JUST ONE REMARK: A FRIEND OF MINE (PEDIATRIC ENDOCRINOLOGIST) DOES NOT ADVOCATE KETOGENIC DIET IN CHILDREN.
I think under 30- 50 grams per day is acceptable.