Arrested for drunk and disorderly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr Happy said:
I love it that people operate outside of the law, behave like an imbecile and then start looking for procedural issues.

Good lawyers get rich soccer players off all the time on procedural issues :) Where did I put my copy of Stone's Justices' Manual?

s10vsb

Mr Happy said:
Erm... I have. Found that there were some reasonable responses from the majority and ridiculous childishness from the opening poster.

There are probably things that should be done better in many walks of life but i'm not sure a self interested aggressive drunken fool is the best person to represent us...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Believe me 'Mr Happy', I am one the best to represent 'us'. :thumbup:

Finzi

AMBrennan said:
Your not a lawyer by any chance are you?
Close - mathematician.
Her attitude was the problem! And it's attitudes like hers that make things all the more difficult for those who actually are in need of assistance!
I don't dispute that, and I never said that her behavior was helpful or acceptable or that she should not have been arrested, and she will get an appropriate punishment as decided by the courts.

However, that does not excuse the police not following procedure when dealing with her - those two issues are completely independent.

And I'm going to chime in as another voice sticking up for AMBrennan ( and to an extent the OP)

All she was asking for was that her BM should have been checked before she was locked up and her vital supplies taken away. Yes, I can see why they do that, although it seems a little paranoid to me to be honest. But they should NOT do it before ensuring her BM was ok and continuing to check it regularly through the night. She does sound like she over-reacted and that wouldn't have endeared her to the police, who are human after all, but it is their job to put that aside and do what is in her interest to keep her safe. And while I'm sure she was not entirely blameless in her arrest, it is not uncommon for police to "back themselves into a corner" and end up having to arrest someone so as not to lose face (again - they are human. Understandable. They deal with some pretty sh*tty people day in day out).

I'm not really sure why the OP is getting such a hard time here, to be honest. Em says that her behaviour couldn't have been thought to be hypo related because "we do" xyz when we are hypo. Well, everybody is different. I can assure you that I've seen plenty of people with hypos who behave in all sorts of different ways, including "like a person possessed". I am quite shocked that a police officer would take so long to ensure that a diabetic's blood was tested when they were behaving like that. And as for "diabetes doesn't kill you", no, not instantly that second, but the OP had no way of knowing how "neglected" she was likely to be. From her point of view, they'd taken away her monitor, her insulin, her dextrose, had not told her how long that situation might continue for, and weren't doing the vital step of checking her BM.

For the OP: word of warning in future. NEVER antagonize or p*ss off the police. It just isn't worth it. Most likely, if you'd asked nicely, or done what they'd said in the first place, none if this would have happened.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 13kg lost so far :)

Finzi

AMBrennan said:
Your not a lawyer by any chance are you?
Close - mathematician.
Her attitude was the problem! And it's attitudes like hers that make things all the more difficult for those who actually are in need of assistance!
I don't dispute that, and I never said that her behavior was helpful or acceptable or that she should not have been arrested, and she will get an appropriate punishment as decided by the courts.

However, that does not excuse the police not following procedure when dealing with her - those two issues are completely independent.

And I'm going to chime in as another voice sticking up for AMBrennan ( and to an extent the OP)

All she was asking for was that her BM should have been checked before she was locked up and her vital supplies taken away. Yes, I can see why they do that, although it seems a little paranoid to me to be honest. But they should NOT do it before ensuring her BM was ok and continuing to check it regularly through the night. She does sound like she over-reacted and that wouldn't have endeared her to the police, who are human after all, but it is their job to put that aside and do what is in her interest to keep her safe. And while I'm sure she was not entirely blameless in her arrest, it is not uncommon for police to "back themselves into a corner" and end up having to arrest someone so as not to lose face (again - they are human. Understandable. They deal with some pretty sh*tty people day in day out).

I'm not really sure why the OP is getting such a hard time here, to be honest. Em says that her behaviour couldn't have been thought to be hypo related because "we do" xyz when we are hypo. Well, everybody is different. I can assure you that I've seen plenty of people with hypos who behave in all sorts of different ways, including "like a person possessed". I am quite shocked that a police officer would take so long to ensure that a diabetic's blood was tested when they were behaving like that. And as for "diabetes doesn't kill you", no, not instantly that second, but the OP had no way of knowing how "neglected" she was likely to be. From her point of view, they'd taken away her monitor, her insulin, her dextrose, had not told her how long that situation might continue for, and weren't doing the vital step of checking her BM.

For the OP: word of warning in future. NEVER antagonize or p*ss off the police. It just isn't worth it. Most likely, if you'd asked nicely, or done what they'd said in the first place, none if this would have happened.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 13kg lost so far :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
She was arrested for being "drunk and disorderly". She was also screaming and banging on cell door. Would you have liked to have taken her blood glucose levels ? I certainly wouldn't.
The police let her calm down, and a doctor arrived. Then she was tested.
The police even went to her house and got her correct insulin, which she refused.
Yes, the police have a duty of care, but they also need to risk assess. There are many people here making assumptions but the only voice we haven't heard is the police present. That's why it's easy to blame them. There was a reason she was arrested. The Sergeant may have took the decision not to test straight away so as not to put an officer, or OP at risk.
Ultimately, we'll just have to wait and see what the outcome of the complaint, if any, will be.
I suspect the police will be not guilty of any wrong doing.
I stand to be corrected.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LizG said:
The OP is probably out having a drink and reading all these posts about his/her shenanigans!

Believe me 'Mr Happy', I am one the best to represent 'us'. Just name the pub.

Somehow I just can't see this OP understanding that her representment In Diabetes care from our Police Service is a lost cause.

Roy :)

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mo1905 said:
She was arrested for being "drunk and disorderly". She was also screaming and banging on cell door. Would you have liked to have taken her blood glucose levels ? I certainly wouldn't.
The police even went to her house and got her correct insulin, which she refused.
Yes, the police have a duty of care, but they also need to risk assess. There are many people here making assumptions but the only voice we haven't heard is the police present. That's why it's easy to blame them. There was a reason she was arrested. The Sergeant may have took the decision not to test straight away so as not to put an officer, or OP at risk.
Ultimately, we'll just have to wait and see what the outcome of the complaint, if any, will be.
I stand to be corrected.

But the point is she should NOT have been put in the cell till her BM's had been checked, if they had done that first then she wouldn't of been banging on the cell for her dextrose because she would of known where she stood with BM levels.

Mr Happy

Is the point not that she should have done as the police asked her in the first place.

I do not want the diabetic masses represented by the idiotic minoroty.

In the future you may wish to:

Not get so slaughtered you lose self control
Not annoy your friends to the degree that they leave you
Listen to the police
Wear appropriate footwear
Not paint on restrictive clothing (neither functional nor attractive)
Not shout abuse at the police
Have better control of your sugars
Have the appropriate equipment with you
Have some respect
Have some humility

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Rapidly getting P'ed off with the sanctimonious ones on here!
Yes, the OP should have ensured that she had al her kit, and not been drinking to excess.
However we expect a "duty of care" to be exercised by police (and others in authority), and this is what I am concerned about.

Mr Happy

Fergus, indeed it is concerning, if true.

The issue i have is believing the story of someone behaving drunk, disorderly and agressively. In fact, behaving in a way in which she was clearly putting her own health at risk.

As suggested, some humility would help. I'm sure a post stating "i was a complete muppet, got drunk and arrested, but have concerns over the way the police handle people with diabetes" would have been received quite differently.

I am fed up with people who want to shift the blame for their own disgusting behaviour!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FergusCrawford said:
Yes, the OP should have ensured that she had al her kit, and not been drinking to excess.
However we expect a "duty of care" to be exercised by police (and others in authority), and this is what I am concerned about.
FergusCrawford, your Avatar is brilliant "dare not offer you a bg test dressed like that." You are so correct when it comes to "Duty of Care" and it is a worry for all.

I just feel that in this occasion we do not know the truth to how the police actually dealt with this person.
Yes I am a little sanctimonious,but I do get P,ed off with a self confessed drunk person trying to be a "goody two shoes"
People that get mistreated must inform the authorities,(it should also be noted in many cases they are to afraid).
In this instance it is completely different, if fact it could be reversed to the police being mistreated.

Roy, :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
JConnor said:
mo1905 said:
I stand to be corrected.

But the point is she should NOT have been put in the cell till her BM's had been checked, if they had done that first then she wouldn't of been banging on the cell for her dextrose because she would of known where she stood with BM levels.

Depends how "drunk and disorderly" she was ! We'll never know. We weren't there and our only "witness" was drunk ;-)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
izzzi said:
FergusCrawford said:
FergusCrawford, your Avatar is brilliant "dare not offer you a bg test dressed like that."
<Yes i do sometimes wear a kilt for hil-walking/Ski-ing :lol: :lol: Great for a non subtle dose of novorapid :evil:
Also was only civvy (kilted) to dance can-can with a line-up of kilted squaddies at a wedding :thumbup: :evil: >

You are so correct when it comes to "Duty of Care" and it is a worry for all.

I just feel that in this occasion we do not know the truth to how the police actually dealt with this person.
Yes I am a little sanctimonious,but I do get P,ed off with a self confessed drunk person trying to be a "goody two shoes"
<I agree, but tend to go "What a *@% "and concentrate on the bit that could cause serious problems>
People that get mistreated must inform the authorities,(it should also be noted in many cases they are to afraid).
Got pulled for driving at 29mph in a 30 zone after leaving pub & they sat on my bumper for 5 miles. (didn't have to put in a complaint cos their Inspector was sitting in my back seat :twisted: :twisted: )
In this instance it is completely different, if fact it could be reversed to the police being mistreated.

Roy, :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Mr Happy said:

The issue i have is believing the story of someone behaving drunk, disorderly and agressively. In fact, behaving in a way in which she was clearly putting her own health at risk.

As suggested, some humility would help. I'm sure a post stating "i was a complete muppet, got drunk and arrested, but have concerns over the way the police handle people with diabetes" would have been received quite differently.
Agree that would be my approach, but perhaps the D&D side has overshadowed the "duty of care" aspects in this thread.

I am fed up with people who want to shift the blame for their own disgusting behaviour!
That is modern society :thumbdown:

s10vsb

had my meeting with the Sergeant yesterday. He agreed I should've been allowed a phone call and things could've been handled differently as I was not abusive or aggressive to the police at any time. He has seen all of the CCTV footage and my complaint about my treatment in custody by one of the officers when I was like 'a woman possessed' in the cell has been taken seriously and they are getting a warning and their conduct will now be monitered. We spent over half an hour discussing diabetes. He now knows why we take insulin, what a hypo and hyper is and what causes them, some of the symptoms, (as we are all different) and how they can be resolved by either insulin or sugar. He completely understands why I reacted like I did in the cell without knowing what my BS was or have access to dextrose or insulin and why I refused to take my insulin as they wouldn't tell me how long I would be detained for and could potentially had a hypo. I showed him my 'Optimum Xceed' and the users guide and how just 2 spots of blood from the finger can determine a hypo and keytones that could both potentially lead to death if not treated. I showed him the web page and they cost £15 but are free to diabetics on prescription. He wrote the web site down and is going to take if further because he agrees that diabetics should have better treatment in custody and a monitor is all it takes. He's going to speak to his superiors about it and get the ball rolling!! RESULT!!! :thumbup: I said he might even get the monitors free because at the end of the day, they are for use by diabetics after all.
When he was leaving I said I'm gonna fight this all the way and if they don't get monitors I would like a meeting with the Chief Inspector for him to justify why. I also said that as Durham was one of the top 3 police forces in England, if they got monitors and went on 'look North' news to say why they now have them due to the amount of wasted time and money by just getting Drs to take BS alone and the stress caused to diabetics in custody, it might even start the ball rolling for the rest of the UK to follow.

s10vsb

FergusCrawford said:
Mr Happy said:

Agree that would be my approach, but perhaps the D&D side has overshadowed the "duty of care" aspects in this thread.

had my meeting with the Sergeant yesterday. He agreed I should've been allowed a phone call and things could've been handled differently as I was not abusive or aggressive to the police at any time. He has seen all of the CCTV footage and my complaint about my treatment in custody by one of the officers when I was like 'a woman possessed' in the cell has been taken seriously and they are getting a warning and their conduct will now be monitered. We spent over half an hour discussing diabetes. He now knows why we take insulin, what a hypo and hyper is and what causes them, some of the symptoms, (as we are all different) and how they can be resolved by either insulin or sugar. He completely understands why I reacted like I did in the cell without knowing what my BS was or have access to dextrose or insulin and why I refused to take my insulin as they wouldn't tell me how long I would be detained for and could potentially had a hypo. I showed him my 'Optimum Xceed' and the users guide and how just 2 spots of blood from the finger can determine a hypo and keytones that could both potentially lead to death if not treated. I showed him the web page and they cost £15 but are free to diabetics on prescription. He wrote the web site down and is going to take if further because he agrees that diabetics should have better treatment in custody and a monitor is all it takes. He's going to speak to his superiors about it and get the ball rolling!! RESULT!!! :thumbup: I said he might even get the monitors free because at the end of the day, they are for use by diabetics after all.
When he was leaving I said I'm gonna fight this all the way and if they don't get monitors I would like a meeting with the Chief Inspector for him to justify why. I also said that as Durham was one of the top 3 police forces in England, if they got monitors and went on 'look North' news to say why they now have them due to the amount of wasted time and money by just getting Drs to take BS alone and the stress caused to diabetics in custody, it might even start the ball rolling for the rest of the UK to follow.
That is modern society :thumbdown:

s10vsb

donnellysdogs said:
Agree with Hanadr.
Sorry, but as a diabetic, you cannot afford to get so drunk that police or ambulance or hospital staff are placed in this sort of responsibilty. Their concern was to ask you to leave the town, and then they have to have your diabetes laid in as well. At 21.0 you were not in to needing any form of glucose, if you needed it at that high level then you are not in control of managing your diabetes.
I have had help from police after a driving incident (sober) and they were nothing but respectful of my diabetes and me. Yes, I know that police standards can vary as much as all of us in life... However at the end of the day it just seems like an angry get out clause and rant to me for you losing control whilst being drunk.
See the big wide picture of this situation... What if we all type 1's went out and did what you did. It's giving us type 1's that care for their diabetes and their lives a bad name. Plus you were taking additional attention to yourself when it could have been needed for far better emergencys, such as road accidents, and genuinely sick people in A&E.
I think you're just blaming the police for not being in control of your life to be honest, and that is not fair.[/quote
Why did you feel the need tell the police that you were diabetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.