Arrested for drunk and disorderly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Happy

Again though, the descriptions of your behaviour suggests you were not in control of your emotions, temper or actions. Shouting yourself horse doesn't demonstrate a level of reasoned debate. We've all been a tool on occasion but most of us wake up the next day embarrassed, you seem not to have woken up and smelt the coffee yet.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you are in the wrong and the rest of the world is right. Learn and move on and let it serve as a reminder the next time you feel like getting pie-eyed. Are either of the I'm diabetic and can get hammered if I want/ anti-police brigade parents? Makes you think, sometimes. I'm a parent and if I'd been in custody for being drunk, I'd try my damnedest for it to never happen again. It's not a badge of honour, it's sheer recklessness, rolling the dice if you will. Things could have been a lot worse than the outcomes that DID occur. What if (durham) you weren't here to try and re-polish your halo and your family no longer had a mom, sister, daughter, niece, granddaughter, aunt, nan? You'd be no doubt msging from the after-life saying "why did no-one stop me?". You can't always have things both ways.

AMBrennan

If the police took you insulin off you upon arrest, why did they need to drive to your house to get it
Because you can't jut substitute the QA insulin she was carrying for the Lantus she needed?

Embabe25

s10vsb said:
Elc1112 said:
I had similar problems when I started on Levemir - my sugars would rise/fall a lot during the day and I just couldn't get the balance right. I started splitting the dose, based on advice from my GP, and it has been much better since.

It must be a pain if you don't recognise high blood sugars. Not sure if there is anything that you can do to improve this but I do know that hypo awareness is more likely to return as you stop having so many hypos - wondering whether it's the same for high readings? Anybody know?

Anyway, I lived in Durham for a few years when I was in my early 20s. I seem to remember them having a pretty low tolerance towards anybody who was a little worse for wear. With regards to your experience, it might be worth highlighting the fact that you were worried about what would have happened if your sugars dropped while you were in the cell. Not sure if it will make much of a difference but at least you'll feel like you have done something to stop others being in the same situation. As for taking it to the press, I'm not sure they'd be too interested if I am completely honest. Don't take this the wrong way, but it would be more exciting to a newspaper if you did hypo and if treatment was withheld and, as a result, you ended up in hospital. It's the drama/scandal that sells papers!

I'm sure that most people on this forum have done or said something stupid when they've been drunk in the past. I know I have! You were unlucky in that you got arrested and it's a tough lesson to learn but at least you've come away from it without any war wounds. Learn from it and move on. That's all you can do :)

Em
I have 'War wounds' too!! I've taken photos of my bruises. My GP and A and E saw them and made notes....I also pulled muscles in my voice box through screaming and as a waitress you have to call tables away and shout across the kitchen. My GP told me that after a week without my voice, if I didn't have my voice back within the next wk, I'd have to have a sick note!!!! A proper black and blue bruise on the base of my spine due to being hand cuffed behind my back...why? I wasn't aggressive or abusive. The Sergeant confirmed that was unnecessary. I had big bruises on my thigh and knee and a cut on my knee due to 'Falling' out of the back of the police van. If you had high heels on, a fitted dress and your hands strapped behind your back would you have been able to get out of the van? Bear in mind, there were 3 police officers that took me to the station who obviously didn't help!!! No, I'm not over weight, my BMI is 24.

Are you kidding me!

There are no words!

Em x

Embabe25

s10vsb said:
Embabe25 said:
Someone who wanted attention and probably doesn't have diabetes. Maybe knows someone who has so knows the terminology.

Em x
No, I'm 'someone' who's type 1 and come to a web site for diabetics for some advise on how to get the law changed so the police have to test diabetics b4 arrest so they don't to waste time and money that could be better spent and not put anyone through what I had to go through.

If you had remained calm you would have been checked but you weren't!

You wouldn't have had bruises and no voice being calm!

You've completely ignored the post on the previous page from someone who works for the justice system and knows procedure!

There are no laws to be changed. If you feel you were unfairly treated then go to the IPCC and file a complaint! They will check back the CCTV footage and see if you were treated excessively!

The police won't step into a situation simply at the nod of a bouncer! If that was the case I'd have had fewer black eyes over the years! What's probably happened is you got steaming and got a knock back from the bar but all you're so called pals got in and left you outside! This ****** you off so you started ranting at the bouncer! Probably made a snide remark about earning more money than him!

The police,passing by, saw this and approached you. They probably listened to what you had to say then told you to go on you're way! You then refused to comply and were given a few more chances to walk away! But you're ****** and no way are you gonna back down! At this point your pals are still inside maybe even watching you kick off.

The police then had no choice but to lift you. But you struggle resulting in them having to restrain you!

You admit you were screaming and kicking like a mad woman! Would you go into a cell with a nutter to test their blood! I bloody wouldn't that's for sure!

Stop making a martyr of yourself! You were in the wrong! You were never in danger! Other than to yourself!

The police do an amazing job! And have to put up with some amount of crazy on a daily basis! You're lucky you live in the uk! If it had been another country where the police have more powers you might not have been treated so well!

Em x

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
s10vsb said:
I also pulled muscles in my voice box through screaming and as a waitress you have to call tables away and shout across the kitchen. My GP told me that after a week without my voice, if I didn't have my voice back within the next wk, I'd have to have a sick note!!!!

Your GP should have prescribed you some of these voice tablets:

090236.jpg

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well said Embabe ! I can't believe OP still believes she is in the right !! #baffled !

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
AMBrennan said:
If the police took you insulin off you upon arrest, why did they need to drive to your house to get it
Because you can't jut substitute the QA insulin she was carrying for the Lantus she needed?

Oh yeah!!! That makes total sense now! I stand corrected, she left the insulin she needed at home when going out on the LASH!!! YES THE LASH!!! I feel such an idiot now. Thanks for the rebuke - I think you may have missed the point.

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been watching this post for a while and have read all the comments.
Inlay circumstances I have fu respect for the work the police do which can't be easy BUT few years ago my best friends brother was arrested after an ambulance called the police to gain access to his flat, the police arrested him on an outstanding warrant instead. Kept telling him to stop 'acting drunk' took him to station and Sargent ordered him to be taken to a&e straight away, instead thinking they knew better and he was acting they called at another station to pick something up, he collapsed in the police car and an hour later died of DKA. He was undiagnosed diabetic but diagnosed epileptic who had a seizure hence ambulance. The police DO fail to follow guidelines and even fail to follow seniors orders!!!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
JConnor said:
I've been watching this post for a while and have read all the comments.
Inlay circumstances I have fu respect for the work the police do which can't be easy BUT few years ago my best friends brother was arrested after an ambulance called the police to gain access to his flat, the police arrested him on an outstanding warrant instead. Kept telling him to stop 'acting drunk' took him to station and Sargent ordered him to be taken to a&e straight away, instead thinking they knew better and he was acting they called at another station to pick something up, he collapsed in the police car and an hour later died of DKA. He was undiagnosed diabetic but diagnosed epileptic who had a seizure hence ambulance. The police DO fail to follow guidelines and even fail to follow seniors orders!!!

Tragic story and just goes to show even more powerfully not to let oneself get in these situations if possible. There are always going to be professionals that don't act professionally. Even after reading your sad story, I'm still of the opinion there is no need for a change in the law. Original poster behaved very poorly and feels the need to blame the police. They are an easy target. Things can generally be dealt with differently given hindsight but we are not afforded this luxury, decisions need to be made and acted upon.

Mr Happy

Indeed. And that story actually demonstrates you can have the correct procedures and principles in place yet the end result isn't always the desired one.

Can we just state that not only does the opening poster appear to behave poorly, have no respect for police, court attention and not see the error of her ways but has very poor control of her diabetes.

If i was her i would take things back to basics, breathe in followed by out, repeat...

AMBrennan

You've completely ignored the post on the previous page from someone who works for the justice system and knows procedure!
As part of a custody sergeants risk assessment, they ALWAYS check if a person has any health issues, such as diabetes, and that then dictates the level of care given. EVERY time a diabetic is in custody, the first thing sergeants do is ask the nurse to check BS levels and make sure the person is fit to be detained
Police did not follow procedure, thus a complaint is warranted.
Which changes nothing about the fact that police didn't follow procedure.
They will check back the CCTV footage and see if you were treated excessively!
They will find that BS was not checked "first thing" in violation of procedure.
You admit you were screaming and kicking like a mad woman! Would you go into a cell with a nutter to test their blood! I bloody wouldn't that's for sure!
A police officer's job requires taking personal risks to ensure the safety of other people - both by confronting armed criminals and by making sure "nutters" don't harm themselves and are fit to be detained. If you don't want to do that then police officer is not the right job for you.
You were in the wrong!
That is immaterial - question is whether a) police followed procedure AND b) if police procedures are adequate to guarantee the safety. OP has a case if either of them is false.
You were never in danger!
That is immaterial - do you want to wait with educating the officers in question about correct procedure until someone actually dies in their custody as a result of them not following procedure?
If it had been another country where the police have more powers you might not have been treated so well
Ah yes, because there she could have been treated worse it follows that police not following procedure is totally fine.

Oh yeah!!! That makes total sense now! I stand corrected, she left the insulin she needed at home when going out on the LASH
I routinely plan on getting arrested and carry several days worth of medication just in case.

Embabe25

AMBrennan said:
As part of a custody sergeants risk assessment, they ALWAYS check if a person has any health issues, such as diabetes, and that then dictates the level of care given. EVERY time a diabetic is in custody, the first thing sergeants do is ask the nurse to check BS levels and make sure the person is fit to be detained
Police did not follow procedure, thus a complaint is warranted.
Which changes nothing about the fact that police didn't follow procedure.
They will check back the CCTV footage and see if you were treated excessively!
They will find that BS was not checked "first thing" in violation of procedure.
A police officer's job requires taking personal risks to ensure the safety of other people - both by confronting armed criminals and by making sure "nutters" don't harm themselves and are fit to be detained. If you don't want to do that then police officer is not the right job for you.
You were in the wrong!
That is immaterial - question is whether a) police followed procedure AND b) if police procedures are adequate to guarantee the safety. OP has a case if either of them is false.
You were never in danger!
That is immaterial - do you want to wait with educating the officers in question about correct procedure until someone actually dies in their custody as a result of them not following procedure?
If it had been another country where the police have more powers you might not have been treated so well
Ah yes, because there she could have been treated worse it follows that police not following procedure is totally fine.

Uch

There's always one!

She has diabetes! She won't die immediately from it!

They waited till she calmed herself. Don't you think they'd get into more trouble if they forcibly held her down and checked her BS!

If they are in the wrong then a complaint to the IPCC will find that!

Her attitude was the problem! And it's attitudes like hers that make things all the more difficult for those who actually are in need of assistance!

If she behaved like that and wasn't diabetic would you still say the same!

No you wouldn't! She'd just be another person getting the jail on a Saturday night because she can't handle her drink!

Your not a lawyer by any chance are you?

Em x

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Poor her for getting drunk, refusing police requests and throwing a tantrum ! Where's my complaint forms !

s10vsb

Mr Happy said:
I love it that people operate outside of the law, behave like an imbecile and then start looking for procedural issues.

Grow up!
Read ALL of the posts then comment...I presume you haven't.....If you think you have then read them again.

Mr Happy

Erm... I have. Found that there were some reasonable responses from the majority and ridiculous childishness from the opening poster.

There are probably things that should be done better in many walks of life but i'm not sure a self interested aggressive drunken fool is the best person to represent us...

AMBrennan

Close - mathematician.
Her attitude was the problem! And it's attitudes like hers that make things all the more difficult for those who actually are in need of assistance!
I don't dispute that, and I never said that her behavior was helpful or acceptable or that she should not have been arrested, and she will get an appropriate punishment as decided by the courts.

However, that does not excuse the police not following procedure when dealing with her - those two issues are completely independent.

Embabe25

AMBrennan said:
Close - mathematician.
I don't dispute that, and I never said that her behavior was helpful or acceptable or that she should not have been arrested, and she will get an appropriate punishment as decided by the courts.

However, that does not excuse the police not following procedure when dealing with her - those two issues are completely independent.

I'd hardly say I was close!

I'd love to understand the universal language! As it stands my grasp of the English language is mediocre. (I'm Scottish lol)

I think the police did what they could! Everything is about health and safety nowadays. They aren't allowed to put themselves in danger. The force don't want to risk claims from their own officers as well as the public.

She admitted she was behaving like a mad woman. Shouting for her dextrose! They knew she wasn't having a hypo by her behaviour. We act bizarre do and say strange things. Shake, sweat. Slur our speech. We don't kick off like she did!

And even if she was having a hypo she still would have been fine! Her liver would have kicked in eventually! Her behaviour was what caused the delay in her medical assistance not lack of care on the polices part.

Em x

Status
Not open for further replies.