Asking How many carbohydrates

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Sorry, but it is an individual thing. Only your own body via a Blood Glucose meter can tell you how many carbs and which carbs and at what time of day, it can tolerate!

For me personally I eat between 20gms and 40gms of carbs per day - very occasionally I eat less than that when I have an 'almost carnivore' day.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. We are all different. If in doubt limit yourself to 150gm/day and lower if you can.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I aim for zero, I’m probably less than 50 actual. I just stay away from all foods that make me spike. I’m getting some from nuts, green leafy veggies, avocados etc. I don’t count those.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is usually best to use a glucose meter as there are very few who are as unlucky as I am and find that all carbs cause problems.
The aim is to keep low, in normal numbers, so tweak your intake to raise levels two whole numbers, approximately, between starting to eat and two hours later.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glucose testing is key, if you run on fat (LCHF diet) the lower the better. if your running on carbs, then the lowest amount of high quality carbs that work for you and don't raise your bloods.

I get about 150g a day, but all whole wheat, none bread/potato/pasta type carbs so (whole grains, lentils beans and some lower sugar fruit).

I do allot of exercise and simply cannot do it without the carbs so it works for me and my bloods are fine with it.

Reactions: KK123

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
How many Carbs to eat is a choice since they aren't needed at the macro level. Nor are they needed by people who do a lot of exercise once fat adapted, as is shown by the recent Zero Calorie 5Day 100miles water fasted challenge..

If possible how many carbs to eat, or to eat any at all, should be an informed choice. So I advise reading some of the science and getting a BG meter.