1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Asking How many carbohydrates

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Stephanie 1233, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Stephanie 1233

Stephanie 1233 · Well-Known Member

How many carbohydrates are we supposed to have a day I know its not may I been told to limit them ?

2. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it is an individual thing. Only your own body via a Blood Glucose meter can tell you how many carbs and which carbs and at what time of day, it can tolerate!

For me personally I eat between 20gms and 40gms of carbs per day - very occasionally I eat less than that when I have an 'almost carnivore' day.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. We are all different. If in doubt limit yourself to 150gm/day and lower if you can.

4. Stephanie 1233

Stephanie 1233 · Well-Known Member

OK thank you for your help :)

5. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I aim for zero, I’m probably less than 50 actual. I just stay away from all foods that make me spike. I’m getting some from nuts, green leafy veggies, avocados etc. I don’t count those.

6. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

There are zero that are "essential" so somewhere between that and as few as possible works well for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

It is usually best to use a glucose meter as there are very few who are as unlucky as I am and find that all carbs cause problems.
    The aim is to keep low, in normal numbers, so tweak your intake to raise levels two whole numbers, approximately, between starting to eat and two hours later.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. sno0opy

sno0opy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Glucose testing is key, if you run on fat (LCHF diet) the lower the better. if your running on carbs, then the lowest amount of high quality carbs that work for you and don't raise your bloods.

I get about 150g a day, but all whole wheat, none bread/potato/pasta type carbs so (whole grains, lentils beans and some lower sugar fruit).

I do allot of exercise and simply cannot do it without the carbs so it works for me and my bloods are fine with it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How many Carbs to eat is a choice since they aren't needed at the macro level. Nor are they needed by people who do a lot of exercise once fat adapted, as is shown by the recent Zero Calorie 5Day 100miles water fasted challenge..

If possible how many carbs to eat, or to eat any at all, should be an informed choice. So I advise reading some of the science and getting a BG meter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook