Type 2 Atkins Bars?

stfluffybrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there
For the last couple of years I have been not too bad controlling my numbers with a low carb, sometimes keto (I find it hard to get enough fat) diet. I also feel better on low carb high fat. I decided to do Atkins version simply because it provides a shopping list and lots of great low carb recipes. I also started using the Endulge Coconut bar for a snack. Unfortunately I took a meter reading after the bar and got a 9.9 which is high for me.
Do you think that Atkins bars are a gimmick and not really low carb as it gives 'net carbs' but the actual carbs on the bar look quite high to me. 13.1 per bar but 2.4 net?
Would really appreciate advice.
Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are they sweetened with polyols? Polyols are alcohol sugars, which don’t affect my sugars but I’ve read some people do get a spike from.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
agree with @Rachox sugar alcohols arent counted int he total "net carbs" on lots of "low carb" bars only way to know if they raise your blood glucose levels is to try them and test. I avoid them.

You can make a low carb version of a coconut bar - super simple is using coconut and mixing with 85% or higher chocolate (check label for carb level - a nice smooth one to start with is Tesco finest swiss 85% dark)
Or have a look at diet doctor - lots of yummy recipes on there https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-chocolate-peanut-squares
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-granola-bars

Reactions: Serena51

stfluffybrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks so much both of you, yes Rachox I googled it here are the ingredients
Sugar alcohols. Atkins bars are sweetened with maltitol, a sugar alcohol that has minor effects on blood sugar and can cause digestive issues (6). Artificial sweeteners. Although controversial, there is some evidence that artificial sweetener use can contribute to weight gain and other problems . So you are absolutely right it seems the sugar alchohols are effecting me.
Also Scimama, thanks so much for the link, I will get my poor husband/carer to start making my snacks for me, probably back to the fat bombs. Also cheers Boo will try those :)
Thanks and hugs x

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have a health food shop where you can bring your own bags/containers and purchase from big bins, you might find that it's a whole lot cheaper to buy stuff like almond flour, coconut flour and erythritol by weight than pre-packaged in the supermarket or specialty shop. Coconut flour is $6/kg, erythritol $16/kg and super fine almond flour is $24/kg at my local health food store. They also sell a huge range of nuts, seeds and spices at very reasonable prices, along with freshly ground peanut butter with nothing but peanuts. Once I drop some weight, I'm planning on having a go at developing some of my own recipes. I've had some surprisingly high BGs from pre-packaged convenience low carb snack foods, which make me wonder if they're actually telling the truth on the packaging. I feel as if the only way I can be sure of what I'm eating is to make everything from scratch, which is pretty much the advice of a lot of the LCHF people - eat real whole food.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried a couple of the Atkins bars. One was 35g and I got barely a blip. The other one was 60g and sent my numbers into orbit. I made a note to only eat half a bar next time, but I don't think I will be bothered. They are expensive for what they are.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal opinion is that the poor man would be turning in his grave if he knew what was now being sold in his name! The original Atkins diet in its induction phase was more or less the same as a ketogenic diet, and transitioning to low carb and it never included all the processed stuff that takes his name in vain now.:banghead: When I was first diagnosed four and a half years ago I based my diet on the original Altkins induction phase food (keto eqivalent) recommendations to start me off and there was no mention at all of any of the commercial products.. So my advice would be to just stick with using any real food lists and avoid all the Atkins commercial bars, etc.

I know that @Resurgam has been eating the Atkins diet for many years and I'd be totally gobsmacked if she turned round and said she was eating Atkins bars.. :wideyed:

If you're not already using it, you could also have a look at the Diet Doctor website as @Scimama a has already suggested.

Robbity

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried a couple of the Atkins bars. One was 35g and I got barely a blip. The other one was 60g and sent my numbers into orbit. I made a note to only eat half a bar next time, but I don't think I will be bothered. They are expensive for what they are.
Agreed. IMO protein bars represent the triumph of marketing over common sense. For a portable, ultra-healthy snack, a few walnuts or almonds beat them hands down. AND they are available in any supermarket in small packets, albeit at an inflated price, but no dearer than protein bars. I buy them in large packets and transfer small portions to little plastic pots which are always with me for emergencies.

Strongly influenced as I am by Dr Bernstein, I am keen on consuming plenty of protein. However, when I see a body-builder down a tin of fish but then hastily consume a bar supposedly to get his fix of protein, I marvel.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could melt some of the v dark chocolate, stir it into some nuts, spread out on a baking sheet then cut it into bars when chilled. Yum.

Another alternative (which I love!) is a square of dark choc with a teaspoon of peanut or cashew butter on top. Heavenly, though not v portable!

I used to have a stash of choc and a jar of crunchy PB in my work desk drawer. Just for emergencies, you understand.

Reactions: shelley262

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried them a couple of times early on in my diagnosis- they made me feel quite ill, headache, bloated and very very sleepy, felt like I had flu although my blood sugars were fine. They are full of nasties and I remember thinking they had a bit of a chemical taste to them.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What about a bar using erythritol? Tends to work with most people who report back on them
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WW22YNN/ref=twister_B071JFJ1V1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
They are not cheap as erythritol isn’t but I find no 8mpact on my bgs and also use erythritol for baking.
They also do brownies that I haven’t tried but hav3 read good reports about them. Hope this helps
Thanks, I've just ordered some.
I like the PhD Smart High Protein Low Sugar Bars (especially the Choc Peanut Butter) which use Maltitol as a sweetener. Available on Amazon and Ebay.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I've just ordered some.
I like the PhD Smart High Protein Low Sugar Bars (especially the Choc Peanut Butter) which use Maltitol as a sweetener. Available on Amazon and Ebay.
I’m a bit sensitive to other sweetners whereas erythritol has no impact on me at all so sticking with it despite price!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another alternative (which I love!) is a square of dark choc with a teaspoon of peanut or cashew butter on top. Heavenly, though not v portable!
These tubes of almond butter (as recommended on the Forum) would be portable: https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/pip-nut-almond-butter-squeeze-pack-60006647
Or one could buy a larger tub (or make one's own, much cheaper) and decant a portion into a small plastic bag, seal, and to eat cut off a corner and squeeze. (An old fell-running trick.)

stfluffybrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks so much all those great messages and ideas, wish I could relay all of it to my carer, will try copying and pasting. I cannot get up and cook anything as I have multiple autoimmune conditions and have to be looked after. I can though order the erythriol online and hopefully give my helper some of the ideas.
Really grateful thanks x

Reactions: Prem51