blood glucose meters

marco2002

Hi everyone i've been type 2 diabetic for 6 years now. Manage diabetes with metformin 2x500mg (twice a day) and 6 months ago i went on a low carb diet my hba1c went from 53 to 42 in the last 6 months. I have also been doing intermittant fasting as well 14 hours most days and 16 at weekends . My hba1c has been up and down usuaully between 45 and 55 over the last 6 years. I have finally found a diet that works for me it seems tried the low fat and cutting the portion size approach and it didn't really work for me.. Its a shame i didn't know all this years ago!! I also have a bit of diabetic neuropathy in my feet!

I have been using the test strips since being diagnosed back in 2014 at the moment my readings are very good after having a meal it is usually negative after about an hour (yellow) and i don't seem to get much of a spike. I am borderline pre-diabetic/normal range.I am aiming to get to 40 by christmas as the doctor has talked about cutting back my metformin. Would it be worth investing in a blood glucose meter? The test strips are ok but i think a meter might help me get me a bit more more control over my blood sugars. Obviously i would be self funding this as the nhs don't fund this for type 2's. Any info or advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Mark

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are testing with test strips, you have a blood glucose meter.
Are you asking about a CGM or Libre?

As a T1, I find the Libre a game changer but my requirements are very different to yours.

If you want feedback on CGMs and Libre from a t2 perspective, you may want to use the search function at the top of the page (Libre has been discussed many many times) and change the title of this thread.

marco2002

If you are testing with test strips, you have a blood glucose meter.
Are you asking about a CGM or Libre?

As a T1, I find the Libre a game changer but my requirements are very different to yours.

If you want feedback on CGMs and Libre from a t2 perspective, you may want to use the search function at the top of the page (Libre has been discussed many many times) and change the title of this thread.
thanks for posting a reply i will have a look today.....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mark,

I can tag in @nutribolt for you. He uses a sensor & IFs.
Hopefully he can share his experience.

I will say, if you decide on using a sensor to monitor your progress.
All you need is a compatable NFC enabled smart phone to read it.. Though the new Libres are also Bluetooth, so it's possible to get an update on your device every 5 minutes. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using the test strips since being diagnosed back in 2014 at the moment my readings are very good after having a meal it is usually negative after about an hour (yellow)
Do you mean you are using urine test strips?
In that case, yes, a meter is much more useful!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you mean you are using urine test strips?
In that case, yes, a meter is much more useful!

Blimey.. I forgot all about those.. & I used to use them too back in the early 1980s.
To be fair. They will only tell you very little too late as the urine levels reflects an "over spill" into the bladder in an attempt to remove some dodgy BG levels?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Antje77 and @Jaylee that a result described as ‘yellow’ sounds like a urine test strip!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it is a blood glucose meter you are looking for @marco2002 then here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Home Health have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews, links to the strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Reactions: Antje77 and Jaylee

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Urine strips only show a positive reading if your blood sugar is over 10mmol/L (As a child the only testing available was a test tube, a tablet, 5 drops of urine, 10 of water and you had to wait 2 minutes for a result.... Blood testing meters are definitely better.)

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mark,

I can tag in @nutribolt for you. He uses a sensor & IFs.
Hopefully he can share his experience.

I will say, if you decide on using a sensor to monitor your progress.
All you need is a compatable NFC enabled smart phone to read it.. Though the new Libres are also Bluetooth, so it's possible to get an update on your device every 5 minutes. :)

Thanks for tagging me @Jaylee

@marco2002 actually blood glucose meter should be provided by NHS for type 2 but yeah they do tend to make it a bit awkward. Having said that like in posts above I would say having a glucometer will make it really worthwhile if you have managed these numbers without it so far.

I found that with intermittent fasting, a CGM setup of libre2 and diabox helped me a lot as it allows me to see trends based on what I eat and that then helps me fine tune my diet. This is more significant with ADF form of IF as my window for obtaining such trends is already small and just with glucometer trends are not available.

.As an example i saw with some food groups my BG does not rise within 2 hrs of eating but spikes overnight... something a glucometer will never reveal... This does turn out fairly expensive though especially when self funded like I do... type 2 diabetic not on insulin will not be prescribed libre2 so if you decide to go down this route be prepared for a monthly expense of 96 GBP ...

Hope this helps. In my signature you will find some details of tech I use and food I eat for IF... see if its helpful. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. :)

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was given urine test strips when I went to the 'education' sessions. I never got a positive result using them.
A meter to test before and after eating was far more useful, as I could see that I was approaching normal levels, then achieving them. Now I just stick to the same diet and don't need to test.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been sent a Tee2+ Blood Glucose Meter free of charge from Spirit Health and I like it a lot. It came along with ten free test strips, ten needles, and finger pricking tool. Without looking it up I believe the test strips cost £8 for fifty. Not a bad price when considering the Accu-chek test strips have gone up to £20 for 50 (Boots price). Just give Spirit Health a ring and ask about the meter, and I'm sure they'll send you one free of charge.