Blood Sugar affected by heat?

johnincrete

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I spent a week in cool England with no bad symptoms from Type 2 - no tiredness, no thirst etc. - in fact I felt great even after a fish & chip supper! Can't tell what measurement was because I forgot the meter! Now back into the heat of Crete (averaging 35C) and first day measurements were
180+ (10 mmol/l +) until early evening when it was 80 (4.4 mmol/l). Food was low fat yoghurt for breakfast, salad with portion of maceral in olive oil + 1 wslice wholemeal bread for lunch. Can't say for yesterday as I was dealing with another kidney stone so little food & no tests.
Woke up today with 156 (8.6 mmol/l). Meds 35 units insulin + 1 glucophage + blood pressure stuff.

Is type 2 affected by heat or am I getting a delayed reaction to the bad UK diet?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I eat a UK diet but it isn't unhealthy.....my choice. There are plenty of healthy options in the UK, it isn't all fast food like fish and chips you know. :wink:

Anyway, you say you have a kidney stone, you hardly ate yesterday and you don't appear to be testing regularly so it's little wonder that your BG levels are all over the place. Regular meals or little and often are what you should be doing as a Diabetic.

As for Type 2's being affected by the heat........anybody's BG levels can be affected by the heat, Diabetic or not. I would think that living constantly in those sort of temperatures you would get used to it and your body would acclimatise to it eventually.

Ken