Bloods to high.

DUFC1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hood evening everyone. New member here.
I went to my doc on Monday with flu like symptoms that I can't shake. He checked me over and wanted blood tests done for diabetes. I get a call on Tuesday to go in again. I got told it looked like diabetes as my blood sugar was 36.4 . Meant nothing to me. He instructed me to go to hospital. Got all tests done and put on a drip etc. Doc says I had protein in my urine and keetones of 1.1. Surgeon started me on 2 types of tablets.
I checked my bloods after lunch it was 12.9. Then checked there it's 26.0. I have eat really healthy and cut down in carbs and sugar. My question is will my bloods come back in time with my healthy eating. I have done certain amount of studying on what I can and can't eat. Cheers in advance everyone

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it may do. but your a long way off just accept the condition learn about low carbing and slowly adapt your eating.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
They will drop ... what was your HbA1c?

DUFC1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it may do. but your a long way off just accept the condition learn about low carbing and slowly adapt your eating.
Am coming to terms with it paulus, just a bit overwhelmed with it all. Got Doc on Friday so I will ask all qs then. Thanks for your reply.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Get it confirmed @DUFC1 ... that is the start point. The rises are concerning, so time to get a handle on it ... and suggest here first for advice

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Reactions: DUFC1

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
they will pus you towards there eating plan its notas effective as others.you need the gad test to rule out type1

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome @DUFC1 ! As has been said it's early days for you, but there's no reason why you can't get things under control.
If you've just been put on meds, they'll help bring your blood glucose down, but it takes a week or so for the full effect to be realised. It would be useful to know what meds you been put on and also your HbA1c level if you can be informed of it, as you ought to be. Another thing is that if you have been ill the illness may have elevated you BG beyond your 'normal' level.

DUFC1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome @DUFC1 ! As has been said it's early days for you, but there's no reason why you can't get things under control.
If you've just been put on meds, they'll help bring your blood glucose down, but it takes a week or so for the full effect to be realised. It would be useful to know what meds you been put on and also your HbA1c level if you can be informed of it, as you ought to be. Another thing is that if you have been ill the illness may have elevated you BG beyond your 'normal' level.
Hi thanks for your reply. Firstly the tablets are Metformin 500mg 4xaday. Also Gliclazide 80mg 1xaday. 2ndly yes I have been suffering from the flu for over a week so the surgeon thought the same as you as regards illness would push up BS. Am straining to see the score on the tv for the football. Never was like that before. I will check my Hba1c on Friday. Thanks for your reply

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know your BMI? If you aren't overweight then you need to ask the GP whether you could be T1 and not T2. There are two tests for that i.e. GAD and c-peptide. Keep up the low-carbing and hopefully the BS and weight will drop.

DUFC1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Can you let us know your BMI? If you aren't overweight then you need to ask the GP whether you could be T1 and not T2. There are two tests for that i.e. GAD and c-peptide. Keep up the low-carbing and hopefully the BS and weight will drop.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am over weight but have lost 2st since new year. Am coming in at 18st. 6ft. This is a wake up call for me.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@DUFC1

Hello DUFC1 and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am over weight but have lost 2st since new year. Am coming in at 18st. 6ft. This is a wake up call for me.
Hi again. Does sound like T2 is right. Just keep at the low-carbing and I assume one of the meds is Metformin? If not discuss adding this with the GP as it always helps just a little for most of us,

DUFC1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again. Does sound like T2 is right. Just keep at the low-carbing and I assume one of the meds is Metformin? If not discuss adding this with the GP as it always helps just a little for most of us,
Metformin and gliclazide tablets.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you aren't overweight then you need to ask the GP whether you could be T1 and not T2.
Don't forget being fat doesn't protect you from getting type1. We fat people are of much more risk of being misdiagnosed than thin type 1's, as hcp's seem to think diabetes+overweight=type2.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hello @DUFC1 - hope things are settling down a bit for you now and that the appointment on Friday is useful.

I recognised the problem with reading the football results on the TV - my eyesight was dreadful around the time I was diagnosed. Once your sugars go down, you will find that your eyesight will go back to normal.

The medication you have been given will start to clear things up quite quickly.

Do ask about the test for T1 - as @Antje77 says just because you are carrying too much weight does not mean you can't get Type 1. I am asking my doctor for that test myself.

Hope you are feeling better soon. The people on here give marvellous advice and support - check out all the details you can about low carb.

Take care,

P

DUFC1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for reply. Yes at best my eyesight is moderate atm mate. I am thinking that with having the flu sore throat which I still have is contributing to my BS being high. I have been eating mega healthy. Tonight I had a meat free burger. No roll though it was on a bed of veg! Who knew they were tasty.
Agree everyone been very helpful thus far. I was going around shopping today checking carbs and sugar on everything was in Tesco for 2h haha.

Reactions: Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...... I was going around shopping today checking carbs and sugar on everything was in Tesco for 2h haha.
If you feel awkward staring at the labels in store, the Tesco.com website has all the info you need.

Reactions: DUFC1