Breakfast Ideas

MrBear2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I have been diabetic for a few years now but have just been I told to watch my carb intake especially around breakfast time.
Can I ask what are you favourite low carb/Sugar breakfast ideas.

Thanks

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Hiyah @MrBear2016, read my history and you’re going to get an idea of what I’ve been able to achieve. Off the Bat I ain’t no back to normal, but….. I am in control of my D and get some sustained downward HBA1C numbers. I be done this through METFORMIN adherence to LCHF diet and a gradual acceptance of what I need to do. Having a recent 46 on my latest HBA1C tests I can offer you some of my brekkie ideas that HAVE worked for me:

1 - Grab and Go! Depending on how hungry or not so hungry I start off with a Grab~Bowl of nuts. That gets me to a main brekkie if I want one. See below….

2 - Slow, sloppy and Slither….Almonds wizzed in a grinder along with a half apple (yeah, I find I can tolerate half an Apple) . Mixed around into a mess with fat free Cottage Cheese and the whole ensemble sprinkled with Linwoods cold milled Flax, Sunflower, Pumpkin and Chia Seeds and Goji Berries. This is my Go-To morning remedy if I’ve been Carb-Naughty in the previous day.

3 - Moderate Speed! Blueberries Berries and Yoghurt with a dusting of that Linwoods product.

OK, 1 to 3 are my non-LCHF alternatives. I find LCHF have become “hard” and less welcome, but here we go:

4 - EGGS-A-GOGO… to Go! Any egg concoctions. I’ve done the full gamut from scrambled thru’ to hard boiled and a range of omelettes that wouldn’t be outta place in that Alien Bar from Star Wars. CP3O would approve.

5 - Toast! And here I mean very very low carb bread. One slice with sardines or peanut butter or melted cheese using Italian Herbs and anchovies.

6 - A Builder’s Brekkie! Ready? A full-on plate of eggs, no-sugar baked beans (I can tolerate these), Black Pudding - Sainsburys do a tolerable pack of four slices and one slice of toast. And if you can tolerate the flavour in the morning, I can, sliced fried mushrooms. I have this once a month.

OK, I could say more BUT definitely, and this is for me, NO cereals! NO Cornflakes, NO Muesli and NO Porridge.

Good to see yah here! Cheers E.;)

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @MrBear2016 ar2016 and welcome to the forums.

A lot of t2s (and some T1s) have issues in the morning because their oh-so-helpful livers decide to provide extra sugar then to give you an extra boost for the morning. That's not so good if you don't tolerate carbs well.

You will probably get lots of recommendations like bacon and eggs but my favourite is frozen berries, heated in the microwave, with a big dollop of Greek (unsweetened) yoghurt.

(Having said that, I usually just have coffee for breakfast, but that is what I give my low carb T2 91year old dad when he visits.)

(And if you want a wonderful low carb ice cream, forget the microwave and blend the frozen berries and Greek yoghurt, with an added dash of cream.)

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome MrBear2016
Yes carbs will be converted to glucose when digested so it pays to have as few as possible throughout the day not just breakfast. Although breakfast is usually the meal people struggle with because I think we've all been brainwashed into thinking cereals, toast or porridge is our only option.
If you base all of your meals around meat, fish, eggs, cheese above ground veg and green leafy salad you will more than likely get your sugar levels down to non diabetic levels.
A few suggestions for breakfast, how about good high meat content sausages, bacon ,eggs any way you like or even some cold meat & leftovers from last night's meal , some full fat yoghurt and a few berries or like many of us give your pancreas a rest and eat later in the day.

Reactions: treeleaf

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
@catinahat - You’ve made some truly salient points: Day-Planning to assist the Pancreas. That’s a keeper!

Reactions: catinahat

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
My favourite fast breakfast at the moment is 1 slice of low carb toast topped with smoked trout pate and cucumber. Sometimes the full brunch - eggs, halloumi, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlicky buttery spinach.
Or Columbian eggs. Fry some chopped plum tomatoes lightly then add eggs and scramble. Serve on top of avocado mashed with lime juice and chilli. I aim for no more than 5g of carbohydrate at breakfast so that I don't set off an insulin response.

Reactions: catinahat

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Fry some chopped plum tomatoes lightly then add eggs and scramble. Serve on top of avocado mashed with lime juice and chilli.

This sounds delicious, I could eat it any time of the day, who said low carb has to be boring.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My menu includes, bacon, steak, sausages, eggs, either boiled, fried or omelette, mushrooms, tomatoes, refried leftover veggies.

Also low carb toast, vegimite, black coffee no sweeteners.

Plenty to choose and mix and match from.

aryavrielle

I give my mother four pieces of sugar-free bread with two eggs and a large cup of tea for breakfast. This breakfast easily removes them for 4 hours. And in those four hours, lunch is ready for mom.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I give my mother four pieces of sugar-free bread with two eggs and a large cup of tea for breakfast. This breakfast easily removes them for 4 hours. And in those four hours, lunch is ready for mom.
Is your mother a type two diabetic? If so, is there anything you could substitute for the bread? It is a high carbohydrate food, and four pieces - slices? - is going to be a problem.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have 2 yogurts and 2 bananas.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I have 2 yogurts and 2 bananas.
Hi, I note that you are an insulin user and therefore able to compensate for this intake of carbohydrate. As someone who manages to stay in remission by diet and exercise alone I wouldn't dare have this for breakfast!

Reactions: OrsonKartt

ErinKeegan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people
My breakfast is simple , I usually eat one boiled egg and a bun with butter

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cheese omlette [2 eggs + 35 gm parmesan cheese + jalapeno] 200 cc of 15% fat sour cream . Strong moka pot coffee or two, no sweetener + strong hibiscus tea with artifical sweetener.

Jane 001

Hi All,

I have been diabetic for a few years now but have just been I told to watch my carb intake especially around breakfast time.

Thanks
Hi All,

Thanks
I have a small portion of natural greek yogurt toppd with sliced strawberries and blueberries every other day for my breakfast. I don't like cereals, never have. And breakfast isn't ameal I've ever eaten, another favorite is a slice of wholemeal toast with two poached eggs. Nice way to start the day. x