Britain's Fat Fight

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Specsavers??!!
They even checked the prescription with my previous optician but then gave me glasses without prism - my brain stopped taking account of what my left eye saw and I started clipping curbs - I could have killed someone - when I went back to my other optician I found that covering my right eye made me momentarily blind, so I would never go to them for so much as a pair of reading glasses.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bear in mind that Specsavers have over 1,600 stores across many countries and they are mostly run on a type of franchise model so they have different local management. Criticising the whole chain on the basis of one store seems unreasonable. I don't have any connection to Specsavers other than having had very good service from my local branch for many years.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my journey started at Specsavers when during a routine eye test last year they found a bleed behind my right eye. They contacted my doctor so quickly thatI had a call from the surgery in 5 days. I was impressed and grateful. You can only judge as you find.

Reactions: dbr10

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr Locket and i have had excellent service from our local Specsavers. I have a complex prescription and they got it spot on, and I can see better than ever now.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have had some good experiences with specsavers but just not on retinopathy checks this year.. not condeming every branch but just my experience of external contractors to NHS.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Round 3, the Final Round, is on tonight at 9pm.

Thought that might help anyone who uses the Radio Times and can't read the print - in which case, you should have gone to SpecSavers - or should you?

I haven't caught up on this thread yet, I can't wait to see how it got to be about SpecSavers. I need to go out now so I'll have to catch up when I get back - maybe it will all be about gerbils by then? Oh, the excitement of uncertainty!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have my eye check tomorrow - fortunately at the local hospital rather than somewhere I have been let down before.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did anyone else get excited when the woman who lost 3.5 stone mentioned the main changes to her diet had been to stop eating bread, pasta and rice?

Those things were never mentioned on the show before - it had mainly been targeting sugar and processed foods.

She'd clearly been doing some reading around off her own back. It's a pity, but that's the state of the nation at the moment: you only get good advice if you make the effort to get online and read around and filter the genuine, recent research from the rubbish. How many GPs are going to suggest removing bread, pasta and rice from a diet? Instead what we heard from the GPs on tonight's episode is the advice that patients should go to weight watchers and the like.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which reminds me, I resolved to throw away the thick white bread in the freezer while watching this episode. When that same woman's T2 dad showed his missing leg and the state of his foot on the other leg, it made me realise the only thing keeping me sane at the moment is walking at the weekends, if I had to have my feet hacked off I'm really not sure what I'd do. But the walking is making my appetite go crazy and put on weight, so I need to be even more careful about what I eat. No more experiments.

I've put the bit in bold to save @bulkbiker some reading time :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which reminds me, I resolved to throw away the thick white bread in the freezer while watching this episode. When that same woman's T2 dad showed his missing leg and the state of his foot on the other leg, it made me realise the only thing keeping me sane at the moment is walking at the weekends, if I had to have my feet hacked off I'm really not sure what I'd do. But the walking is making my appetite go crazy and put on weight, so I need to be even more careful about what I eat. No more experiments.

I've put the bit in bold to save @bulkbiker some reading time :)

I know where you are coming from.
Walking the dogs is the highlight of my day.
I would find it very hard to lose that pleasure.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought this episode was the best...shame it all ended there. It was interesting that nice lady at the end who shed the 3 stone said she had cut out bread, rice and pasta as well as eating smaller portions. I wonder if sometimes people just dont have the confidence to start a new way of eating in case they fail in their objectives or like that lady put their own wellbeing last in the family.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just one question at this point. What is Jeremy Hunt for?
Please don’t swear @Guzzler!
Sorry but that man has a lot to answer for! I may not have taken early retirement from nursing if that poor excuse for a Health Minister didn’t exist.... I need to stop there or I might never stop! :banghead:

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to stop there or I might never stop! :banghead:

I'm curious about the specifics, but only if it doesn't cause burst blood vessels!

I'm not very political. I thought exactly what @Guzzler thought about him after this program, and I am aware he gets a lot of flak, but to be honest I tend to glaze over whenever political stuff is on the news.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Please don’t swear @Guzzler!
Sorry but that man has a lot to answer for! I may not have taken early retirement from nursing if that poor excuse for a Health Minister didn’t exist.... I need to stop there or I might never stop! :banghead:

You don't have to wonder why the man is camera shy, it is because he has absolutely nothing to say. To agree to be part of a panel then duck out because you run the risk of being asked 'awkward' questions is staggeringly beyond belief.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm curious about the specifics, but only if it doesn't cause burst blood vessels!

I'm not very political. I thought exactly what @Guzzler thought about him after this program, and I am aware he gets a lot of flak, but to be honest I tend to glaze over whenever political stuff is on the news.
I can’t elaborate now, or I won’t sleep! I haven’t watched this episode of Britain’s Fat Fight yet, will have to watch on catch up over the weekend.

Reactions: AdamJames and dbr10

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I can’t elaborate now, or I won’t sleep! I haven’t watched this episode of Britain’s Fat Fight yet, will have to watch on catch up over the weekend.

JH says nowt. IDS makes a poor apology on his behalf. I feel the same way about IDS as you do about JH. It doesn't matter which party they belong to, in my opinion, they are not fit for purpose.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
JH says nowt. IDS makes a poor apology on his behalf. I feel the same way about IDS as you do about JH. It doesn't matter which party they belong to, in my opinion, they are not fit for purpose.
Few of them are. It's difficult, if not impossible, to think of a politician you can actually admire or respect.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Few of them are. It's difficult, if not impossible, to think of a politician you can actually admire or respect.
Probably just one who I admire and respect, Aneurin Bevan, without whom we probably wouldn’t have the NHS free at the point of use.