Burn out? Fed up!

textaddict83

Last two or three weeks I've been having so many issues I am starting to lose control. I am on long term medication for depression but recently started to feel very low, staying in bed, not doing bg readings, eating rubbish, not wanting to go out and very teary. I felt like there was no point to anything anymore.

Two weeks later, after seeing my GP, I am slowly levelling out again, although my mood isnt 100% yet but despite getting back into my routine with the DAFNE ratios, testing etc my bg levels are everywhere (high and low), I keep testing positive for keytones (the highest was ++++) and now I've got oral thrush which I have never had before. I've only ever had keytones once and that was when I was diagnosed diabetic. I've been a type 1 for 18 years and consider myself to have been very lucky (up until now) to not have any major issues due to the diabetes.

I am overweight which has always been an issue. I am only taking Ramipril, Simvastatin and Citalopram. I just feel that I have lost control and I am so fed up with ratios, testing, keytones, feeling like hammered poop and I feel like just sticking two fingers up to the diabetes and eating whatever I want, no holds barred!

:(

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Sorry to hear you are feeling so fed up. Diabetes can be a real pain in the bum! Coupled with depression it is really hard going. In my mind the depression makes diabetes harder to control (as you feel so rubbish and don't want to test etc) which in turn makes the depression worse (panic sets in as you feel you can't control the diabetes and you feel useless). It's a vicious cycle. I totally understand how you are feeling and it is not a nice place to be at all.

Have you asked about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy? If your depression is really affecting you (& by the sounds of it it is) this may be helpful coupled with the medication.

I guess the place I would begin is to not focus on weight loss, but instead try to focus on getting good BG levels (I know this is easier said than done!) Swinging from high to low or being constantly high does not make me feel good at all.
Have you considered lowering the amount of carbs you are eating? This may help to stop such huge highs.

I hope you know that you are not alone. It's great you've posted on here and hopefully lots of people will be able to offer support / suggestions to help you.

Patch13

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. You don't mention in your post that you have tried to have a lower-carb diet? Perhaps you have tried and found it difficult to continue; I also hope you are not trying to follow a typical 'NHS diet' if it suggests starchy carbs etc. A low-carb diet will work believe me but it does require discipline to find foods you like but which are lower carb. If you are overweight (I'm guessing from your apparent high blood sugar) then your insulin units may be high and you end up in a vicious circle. You must discuss the amount of insulin you inject with the GP in case that needs balancing. You can always ask for suggestions on this forum but we are not professionals and can often only guess. I appreciate when you are feeling depressed it is only too easy for people like me to offer thoughts when not in your situation. Do if necessary seek help from one of the relevant charities. I do volunteer work for Mind and know that many service users have depression and cCBT, as suggested by Patch, is one of the many ways to help.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Firstly citilopram can increase your bloods, but that would make them raised more or less all day.

You say you have been on dafne course, so are you changing your bolus and correction dosages yourself, or is your gp guiding you too? To seing from high to low would indicate to me that you may be giving too much of a correction dose or possibly you may be going low during the night?

Why dont you list a days doses, carbs n readings hereand try and let us suggest how we would change if we were in your position. Any advicewould not be from qualified professionals, but from people that have to do this too daily..

It is hard, I have certainly been in your position, and have come out smiling andlaughing. You can too.