Calogen

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi .Has anyone taken Calogen No its not to run the gas off :lol: I was prescribed by the dietitian to help me gain weight it consists of canola oil and sunflower oil with an emulsifier to stop it separating as far as I can tell.I have to take 30ml x3 per day I cant find much against it on the net (IT IS LIKE DRINKING LIQUID LARD) :mrgreen: I have been prescribed 30x 200ml bottles which would be more than £150 so I feel I must take them to justify NHS spending so much money on me ,and I do seriously need to pyt on weight.Any one know any thing about the two oils or anything else a cynic like me needs to know. CAROL.

Janxx

Carol, I would be really interested to know if this works for you. I was diagnosed type 2 last year,but was not over weight - dress size 8-10. I am now a size 6 and weigh 7 st, very under weight. My sugar levels were not well controlled until recently, but I just cannot put on weight. I used to be happy with my figure, but I hate myself now. Nothing fits and I have no boobs.The doctor doesn't seem to take this seriously and doesn't realize how upset I am about it and how it has affected my confidence. I didn't think there was anyone else like me, as all type 2's seem to be over weight and most advice is for them. I saw a dietitian and all she told me to do was increase my oil and good fats, and gave me a recipe for banana muffins, which by the way increase my sugar levels dramatically. Please let me know how you get on with calagen. Janxx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you are an underweight T2, you have a real problem.It's usually harder for naturally thin people to gain weight than for fat ones to lose it. If your diet invlves controlling carbs, that makes it more difficult. Oils won't put weight on you if you ddon't have carbs with them. So unless you want to go down the "tons of medicine" route, you have your work cut out.
The most reliable thing I can think of is weight/resistance training. Build your muscles and the lack of fat won't matter.[possibly get a padded bra too :lol: ]
I would add I wish I had your problem. My weight is stuck and despite all my efforts won't come down any more.
Hana

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi janxx Good to meet a fellow skinny I have the same problems as you do I have just been out clothes shopping and come back empty handed and depressed I am 66 years old and childrens clothes just dont suit me :( Have you ever tried to buy a skirt that will cover your bum in a size 6-8 :lol: The good news is that I have put some weight on!! in 1 week I have put on about 1k its a start! I have tried to do some resistance exercises but I dont know if they work I didnt put any weight on until I started on the Calogen so it is worth asking your GP for it .I have been given enough for 2 months so if I carry on the weight gain that will be great , unless it all goes on my belly and bum :lol: .I also will be interested to see if it affects my cholesterol .It has not affected my bgs as it has no carbs .It tastes like lard but if it works great. Hope this helps. CAROL

Janxx

Thanks Carol - at least it gives me hope there is something out there that may work - I just have to persuade my doctor that being this thin is not normal. I have the same problem with clothes - where are all the classy dresses for smaller women? I fit in all my daughters clothes but obviously do not want to look like mutton dressed as lamb. I am 51.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi janxx just thought I would tell you I am skinnier than you I have just reached 6.5 stone ! When I went shopping with my grand daughter last year I had to try on the clothes she liked :? My dietician was the one who prescribed the Calogen through my GP so it is worth an ask I am not weighing myself too often but the gain has crept a little over one k so it is still working and I feel ok Hope things go well for you CAROL

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have put on another 1k Yipee the calogen seems to be doing its job :D I will be a seven stone weakling soon :lol: