Can intermittent fasting cause higher bs levels until you eat?

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have found recently that my early morning readings have been higher but drop after eating at lunchtime. Today before eating 7.2 after an hour 6.1

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Yes it happens to me , the only theory I can come up with is that the incoming food wakes my pancreas up. I know other people's levels keep rising until they eat, so maybe for them the food is a signal for the liver to stop dumping glucose. Nothing is straightforward with this diabetes malarkey.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When we chew food, the release of saliva contains Amylase, this is the trigger for the first phase Insulin response, preempting the glucose that's incoming. Presumably it also signals the Liver to stop dumping glucose.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When we chew food, the release of saliva contains Amylase, this is the trigger for the first phase Insulin response, preempting the glucose that's incoming. Presumably it also signals the Liver to stop dumping glucose.
if that’s the case I’m wondering if some sugar free gum would stop the dumping and lower bgl. And also wondering if that’s a good thing or not. If my liver is storing up a lot of glucose wouldn’t getting rid of it out of the liver be a good thing in the long run for getting rid of the fat stores (Nafld) that inhibit proper function?

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It probably would, but many type 2s have an inadequate first phase response, these are the people who find they need a meal to stop the dawn phenomenon, as a second longer Amylase signal comes later, i believe as the food is exiting the stomach, although i may be wrong.

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers for the replies. Gonna start having something light first thing in the morning and see if there's a difference again.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
For me it was a boiled egg or a chunk of cheese that stopped my glucose (often reversed it).

chunk of cheese - not chink

Reactions: Paul_ and HSSS

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a theory about FBG levels.
It shouldn't be counted as a single moment in time.
Cos, as the glucometer itself is never as accurate as it could be, take colds, stress, other things that could alter a reading, and it is a approximation of that time.
It will be different because of dawn phenomenon.
It will be different when first waking, to an hour or two later. Then if you do a little or a lot before eating, it will be different again.
It is the overall results over time and the trend that is the important bit.
So, if your fasting hba1c is around 8mmols.
And your daily FBG is continual get readings of around it or lower, then you're doing well.
If above................
There will always be a rogue reading.
It probably would, but many type 2s have an inadequate first phase response, these are the people who find they need a meal to stop the dawn phenomenon, as a second longer Amylase signal comes later, i believe as the food is exiting the stomach, although i may be wrong.
If you are like me and the first phase insulin/hormonal response is inadequate to cope with too many carbs(intolerance) and you get an exaggerated spike. Only lowering carb intake will help lower the initial spike.
Or meds that improve insulin output at first phase.
Then of course insulin resistance, is a factor.

I believe that once you get close to normal BG levels, continuous blood glucose levels under 8mmols will improve your imbalance of dysregulation, insulin resistance and hopefully your hba1c levels.
And when that happens, possible remission and the intolerance to carbs will diminish, and your health will improve.
Meaning that the threat of the serious consequences of T2 would abate.

Most T2s would benefit from doing their readings around mealtimes, pre and two hours after rather than the FBGs.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the early morning reading to be by far the least useful.

I often get a big BG drop around 3-5am followed by a steady slow climb. If I leave it that rise can continue for hours - I assume it's caused by my liver making glucose. It doesn't go particularly high (sixish the last time I tested for it a couple of years ago) and a couple of nuts stopped it. I don't know if my usual morning coffees with cream do the same - assume they probably do.

Basically these days I pay it no attention at all.

JoeeoJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you guys experience this without medication, right ?
I use Meformin 500mg before dinner (19:00) , measure a good BS in the evening and in the morning its high again.
Only if I eat very strict low carb food this value in the morning goes down after 2-3 days.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This almost certainly happens with non diabetics, but since they don't monitor their blood sugars, would never know. Also their sugar regulation system works better than ours, although it may be going wonky, but until bad enough to be a problem, again they would have no idea.

Reactions: HSSS

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers for the replies. Gonna start having something light first thing in the morning and see if there's a difference again.
I eat at about 12 hourly intervals but have around 1/4 of my daily carb intake with breakfast, as that is what stops my BG continuing to rise until I do eat - of it did. I haven't checked for some time as I seem to be thriving on the 2 meals a day regime.

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
Have found recently that my early morning readings have been higher but drop after eating at lunchtime. Today before eating 7.2 after an hour 6.1
There is the ‘Dawn Phenomenon‘