Type 1 Can my new diabetes team take my pump away?

hjlangdale

Hi!

I've been type 1 for nearly 3 years now and have had an Omnipod insulin pump on the NHS for around half of that time. It's absolutely changed my life - I'm 24 and enjoying life, I'm busy working, seeing friends, going on holidays and travelling, and having a pump means my diabetes works around me rather than me working around it.

My diabetes care has been based in Birmingham ever since I was diagnosed, but I've now moved to Sheffield and need to move my care here too. However, I'm terrified that my new team will try and take my pump away from me, as I know there are many specific requirements that have to be met to get it on the NHS. My question is: can they do this? Or will they continue my care as it is now as that's what I've been on already?

Thanks in advance!
Heather

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @hjlangdale

I can't help you specifically with whether or not they can take it away. I do know that the omnipod is offered in Sheffield.

Presumably you'll be under Dr Elliott at Northern General (as she is the only pump consultant in central Sheffield). I think, if you can convince her that it has improved your life and your mental health, then there is no reason for her not to support you. She isn't unreasonable. If you'd like to talk more about diabetes care in Sheffield generally, feel free to drop me a message - I lived there for 4 years and have just moved away recently.

@Juicyj @Diakat @helensaramay are, I believe, all pump users and may be able to provide more information re moving - sorry for not being more help!

hjlangdale

Hi @hjlangdale

I can't help you specifically with whether or not they can take it away. I do know that the omnipod is offered in Sheffield.

Presumably you'll be under Dr Elliott at Northern General (as she is the only pump consultant in central Sheffield). I think, if you can convince her that it has improved your life and your mental health, then there is no reason for her not to support you. She isn't unreasonable. If you'd like to talk more about diabetes care in Sheffield generally, feel free to drop me a message - I lived there for 4 years and have just moved away recently.

@Juicyj @Diakat @helensaramay are, I believe, all pump users and may be able to provide more information re moving - sorry for not being more help!

Hi @EllsKBells,

Thanks for your reply - you definitely did help! I think I've been referred to the 'pump centre' at Royal Hallamshire Hospital, but it's good to know there's a pump consultant at Northern General if that doesn't work out.

Reactions: kitedoc

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No they can’t....

Reactions: kitedoc

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @hjlangdale No they can’t do this, you have already been prescribed it so the care will continue, however do get your old team to contact your new CCG on your behalf to help communicate your care information to help your transition and contact your new team to ensure continuity with your prescriptions.