1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Carbs And The Doctor/dn

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Flora123, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

If I tried to eat that many carbs a day my insulin resistance and blood glucose levels would be astronomical. I would probably have to go straight to insulin.

Plus I wouldn't be able to fit in any other food - so it would be a diet of starch, fibre, hardly any protein or healthy fat, minimal vitamins and minerals (although of course commercial flour is fortified with some vits otherwise it would be virtually nutrientless).

Imagine what that would do to my body after a few years... shudder.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I operate quite happily on 20-30g a day, but then I don’t eat digestive biscuits. I can treat a hypo effectively with one or two 3g dextrose tablets as I have so much less insulin floating around.

• Like Like x 2
  3. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Debandez, NEVER underestimate a woman with a handbag who is prepared to use it! Believe me, in my job, remembering that if nothing else has kept me alive.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. smw99

smw99 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find it sad that there are medical professionals still handing this out. If I ate this I imagine I would need insulin. As it is I have normal levels, feel energetic and well and take no medication for diabetes. I cost the NHS very little. I look after my health and I eat the most lovely food which contains little carbohydrate. Everyone needs to know that this disease does not need to be progressive and that we all have a choice. I don't think we should try to force low carb on people, just give everyone the information and let them make a choice.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

To me, there are no rights and wrongs, individuals do what they feel they must to keep THEIR glucose levels steady. I do not have a problem with eating around 50 carbs a day and sometimes I will have a carb blow out. That is manageable for me as I can use a unit or 2 of insulin when I need to. I do not class all carbs as evil for ME, I like a slice of wholemeal bread for instance or some good old porridge and I consider those to be healthy carbs for ME. I don't eat sweets/cakes/crisps/pies/battered stuff etc as I don't think they are healthy as a whole. I try to be balanced not just for my glucose levels but for all those other pesky conditions that can hit a female of a certain age, diabetes or not. Having said all of that, if I were type 2 I WOULD go very low carb as what other choice would I have if I wanted to keep my glucose levels low. I understand what Glucotab means as well, for HIM going down to 20 carbs a day wouldn't be beneficial (unless he was unable to control his glucose levels and then maybe it would). So many variations.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You can take a horse to water but can't make it drink. But the NHS need to explain the choices to pts. And spell out the complications of progressive diabetes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

That must be where my first nurse got it from. She told me point blank to eat a jacket potato for lunch as often as possible, and to add baked beans because it would slow down any glucose rise. She also told me I could eat anything I liked, in moderation. Even ice creams or a slice of cake. She also said low fat because of the calories as I needed to lose a bit of weight. I left her office a happy bunny because all the foods she mentioned were ones I was already eating, so I didn't need to change a thing!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I think we need a head in hands emoji for that one..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was just thinking......I actually owe the insulin DN (we have 2 at the surgery 1 does insulin the other non insulin diabetics) a vote of thanks, because if she hadn't given me such grief and made me feel so useless and stupid I would never have been brave enough to try Low Carbing.........the last time I saw her a couple of years ago she did ask how I'd managed to keep my hbA1c at 40 for over 5 years, she went ballistic when I told her and said 40 was way to low for an insulin user and besides I would never be able to come off insulin.........in the last statement she was sadly right as I don't produce enough of my own, but being able to drop the units needed from over 200 daily to 30...... give or take a few...... has made such a difference to my self esteem, as at last I feel I'm in charge dosing to cover my food, not eating to cover the insulin in an ever upward spiral.

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  10. Moggely

Moggely · Guest

I under stand what you are saying @zand . One hundred percent that is why i responded to your post. I also could tell you a my story, bout my child, but i can't at the moment because i choose to forgive. I am not young you see, but am only trying to help. As for the other poster i have nothing to say really.. Please Zand you can move on as i did. Thank you for being respectful and for listening.

11. Chronicle_Cat

Chronicle_Cat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's similar here (Ontario, Canada). One of the pamphlets for diabetes education here is sponsored by the ***Canadian Wheat Marketing Board*** and suggests a 1/4 plate of grains/starchy foods. The American Diabetes association isn't any better.

Many of diabetic cookbooks available (both Canadian and American) have some of the dishes in them are 60-75 g carbs each (for a single dish, not the entire meal.)

I realize that not everyone with Type 2 wants to eat low carb and the amount of carbs they choose to eat varies but newly diagnosed Type 2s should be told that it is an effective way of reducing glucose levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #191 Chronicle_Cat, Sep 12, 2018 at 2:28 PM
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  12. Moggely

Moggely · Guest

Yes you [email protected] It was in your post to me. If you don't see it, it is because you put in a post. Once again i say to you, in all good will. Have a good day/night were ever you hail from.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Moggely

Moggely · Guest

I understand all of what you are [email protected] and your pain and suffering about your child. I could also tell you about the very same thing. I can't however because it would be to long, I simply choose not to be a victim and became the victor over it all ,through ''''''''"forgiveness..' I can't say any more and hope that you ,will like me ,be the victor.....You go girl... Monica. Wishing you all the best. Be strong.

14. Motherhen2014

Motherhen2014 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My doctor went crazy when I said I was on a low carb diet, he asked why and I told him I want to get into Ketosis, wrong thing to say. But I have lost 1 stone 2lbs since starting low carb. My doctor was ok when I agreed to have a small amount of carbs and is now happy with me.
    We know what our bodies need so keep going friend.

• Winner Winner x 3
  15. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Trust me, after 28 sessions of counselling to recover from PTSD I am no victim. I actually wish I had had more of a victim mentality because I should have taken one GP to court (not any of the ones I have ever talked about on this forum, ) to save others going through what he put me through. I didn't sue him because I didn't want compensation and I didn't want the hassle, I just wanted to move on, but now, 30 years later I feel guilty for not doing anything and just walking away when I could have saved others from going through what I went through. I understand all about forgiveness and have talked about it on here a few times, but there's times when just turning the other cheek isn't right and we should stand up and be counted.

I am not bitter about my past, any of it, but I do get upset when someone tries to defend the indefensible (like the NHS guidelines telling an obese T2 that they should eat carbs with every meal) That is just plain wrong and I will always stand up and say so. I am not a victim to that dreadful advice anymore and I want to help others to get free from it too. I respect those HCPs who deserve respect.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Honeyend

Honeyend · Well-Known Member

That was the NICE quote I was looking for.Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I might help your view to state whether you are or have been a health care provider, as the last sentence here suggests. If you feel that you as a present or past health professional has been personally criticised, stating that might help to clear the air.
    As a past health professional myself I try to stick to personal experiences and sometimes anecdotes/stories of fellow diabetics where I believe these are accurate and helpful.
    There is sometimes a fine line between relating one's own experience and appearing to be giving advice. That is where moderators have a part to play in keeping that line clear.
    Difference of opinion is part of what can make a forum useful, just like the phrase ' a Government is only as strong as its Opposition party.' But we also know how disrespectful politicians can be!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

@kitedoc
    You may not get a reply because the member has requested that her account be closed. While there is always a chance that Sani might reconsider I think it unlikely.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you @Guzzler, I saw that but felt I needed to say something for the record.
    I do hope all forum members keep the account open.

20. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

She said earlier on in the thread somewhere that she has 30 years of nursing experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook