Celebrating real foods

Hotpepper20000

Tonight was baked cod and shrimp on a bed of peppers, onions, olives, capers and tomato’s. Black pepper, smoked paprika salt and a few spoonfuls of bacon fat over top.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the shopping arrived yesterday, so my next wave of kitchen action is incoming.

I also have more freezer room to play with having cleared out an entire drawer for Mr B.
Every batch of meals I cook, a meal or two gets tucked in there for him when I am away. At the moment, I am away at least 1 week a month, but it may increase in future.

This week’s batch cooking will be:
6-10 portions of lamb shoulder done tagine-style, with celeriac
8-10 portions chicken thigh rogan josh, with butternut squash
There will also be another batch of non-atomic buffalo turds, kefir and maybe some saag paneer (but not using proper paneer, because I can’t source it here).

And those basa fillets are still waiting in the freezer, because someone ate the cheese I was going to use with them. Lol.

my history is not good for mixing my own tagine blend, but I have found a quality spice paste with no rubbish (and no rose!) in it, and we are trying it for the first time.

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha! My food delivery came yesterday evening too. Lots of things I’ve never had before courtesy of the Waitrose 3 for £10 offer.

On the menu today is a tried and tested lamb leg with cauliflower cheese (a rare veggie day, but I do love cauli cheese). Later in the week I’ll be trying venison mince and bavette steak - a cut I’ve not had before and venison steak.

Reactions: KK123 and Brunneria

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the shopping arrived yesterday, so my next wave of kitchen action is incoming.

I also have more freezer room to play with having cleared out an entire drawer for Mr B.
Every batch of meals I cook, a meal or two gets tucked in there for him when I am away. At the moment, I am away at least 1 week a month, but it may increase in future.

There will also be another batch of non-atomic buffalo turds, kefir and maybe some saag paneer (but not using proper paneer, because I can’t source it here).

And those basa fillets are still waiting in the freezer, because someone ate the cheese I was going to use with them. Lol.

my history is not good for mixing my own tagine blend, but I have found a quality spice paste with no rubbish (and no rose!) in it, and we are trying it for the first time.

Have you tried making paneer in your IP?
I’ve used this recipe:
https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-paneer-indian-soft-cheese-clone/
Which worked well. I used the muslin/ colander method rather than tofu press - that’s one gadget too far for me.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Delicious boneless leg of lamb and cauliflower cheese for lunch today. Couldn’t finish all that I’d put on the plate (v unusual). Just tried to have dinner of tinned wild salmon mixed with yoghurt but didn’t like the salmon at all - used to be one of my standard meals. Settled for extra yoghurt instead!

7D4E6F2B-48B8-44EB-87AF-2E9014CD6959.jpeg

Reactions: DJC3 and Jo123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I say with a little more effort you could batch cook for all of us! x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Delicious boneless leg of lamb and cauliflower cheese for lunch today. Couldn’t finish all that I’d put on the plate (v unusual). Just tried to have dinner of tinned wild salmon mixed with yoghurt but didn’t like the salmon at all - used to be one of my standard meals. Settled for extra yoghurt instead!

View attachment 48153

Great looking lamb! Just how I like it with a faint blush in the middle. How did you cook it?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very tasty salmon and broccoli bake tonight.
Broccoli was simmer in milk (of your choice, I used almond) for a few minutes, then cubes of salmon added for another few minutes. Then seasoned with pepper and dried seaweed (can use salt instead). Fish and broccoli strained into a baking dish. Milk had cream cheese and cream added to thicken it a little then poured over the fish. I have boys to feed so topped with sliced boiled potatoes and loads of cheddar cheese. Baked in oven for 15 minutes.
Was very yummy indeed
Cats loved the leftovers and skin too. Happy faces all round

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great looking lamb! Just how I like it with a faint blush in the middle. How did you cook it?

Air fryer. About 25 minutes. My meat thermometer is proving very useful!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Air fryer. About 25 minutes. My meat thermometer is proving very useful!

I’m using my meat thermometer more and more too. I hadn’t thought of cooking a joint in the AF, I must give it a go. I think yours is a bigger model though. Mine will just about take 4 lamb chops if I prop them up against eachother.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Resisting the lure of the air fryer!
I have too many gadgets as it is.

My main protein sources at the moment are roast free range chicken (followed by soup), roast gammon, and pigs in blankets (sausages over 90% pork, local bacon). Plus eggs and cheese and steak of course.
We used to eat leg of lamb quite a bit but had a bad one so we are off that until the memory fades.

I'm struggling to decide which "unreal" food that I eat (apart from occasional sinful treats).

I have eaten ready meals such as curries (but not recently).
I do have the occasional lasagne from Waitrose (Charlie Binghams) which doesn't seem to harm me too much.
I also sin with the occasional fish and chips, however these aren't (very) processed.

One chicken (hot then cold) seems to keep us going for about a week, what with salads and soup.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Resisting the lure of the air fryer!
I have too many gadgets as it is.

My main protein sources at the moment are roast free range chicken (followed by soup), roast gammon, and pigs in blankets (sausages over 90% pork, local bacon). Plus eggs and cheese and steak of course.
We used to eat leg of lamb quite a bit but had a bad one so we are off that until the memory fades.

I'm struggling to decide which "unreal" food that I eat (apart from occasional sinful treats).

I have eaten ready meals such as curries (but not recently).
I do have the occasional lasagne from Waitrose (Charlie Binghams) which doesn't seem to harm me too much.
I also sin with the occasional fish and chips, however these aren't (very) processed.

One chicken (hot then cold) seems to keep us going for about a week, what with salads and soup.

I don’t have much room for gadgets but the air fryer really is worth the space. I’d never been able to eat the skin on chicken until I air fried it - now it’s my favourite part.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bavette steak for lunch today. Not had that cut before. Thanks @shelley262 for the recommendation. Very tender and tasty and just a few minutes to flash fry. Yum! Likely to be leftover chicken for dinner.

475C4875-D257-45FB-9A71-D5E1ADF3D161.jpeg

Reactions: OrsonKartt

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Air fried chicken and assorted roast veg again tonight. With a glass of red wine. Cos... Friday.

Tesco are selling half-price boned shoulders of lamb atm so I have one to roast tomorrow (well, probably freeze half), also in the AF. And then use the leftovers for a lamb casserole-y thing in the instant pot on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Oh and weekend breakfasts of boiled eggs with bacon soldiers for dipping! Bacon will be cooked in the AF too... @LittleGreyCat - go on, you know it makes sense!

Hotpepper20000

Weathers been nice here so cycling every day after work and not have had the desire to cook
Shared a grocery store roasted chicken with Mr Hotpepper. And a few sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Steak cooked in the oven with onions, carrots, celery, courgette and mushrooms.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IMG_1616184629.426276.jpg

This is today’s shop. From a local farm, wonderful ethos, pasture fed beef, all this from the same cow. She threw in some bones for free ( going in stock pot). She said a lot of her customers these days are keto, and quite a few carnivore. ( she brings back the organ meat for the carnis)
Dinner was burger made with some of the mince plus a bit of salad and olive oil dressing.
Lunch was air fried brined chicken wings. I love these and 5 wasn’t enough really, had to top up with some olives and cheese.