Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 48209
This is today’s shop. From a local farm, wonderful ethos, pasture fed beef, all this from the same cow. She threw in some bones for free ( going in stock pot). She said a lot of her customers these days are keto, and quite a few carnivore. ( she brings back the organ meat for the carnis)
Dinner was burger made with some of the mince plus a bit of salad and olive oil dressing.
Lunch was air fried brined chicken wings. I love these and 5 wasn’t enough really, had to top up with some olives and cheese.

Winner!! I’m coming to visit!

Does she do deliveries?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 48209
This is today’s shop. From a local farm, wonderful ethos, pasture fed beef, all this from the same cow. She threw in some bones for free ( going in stock pot). She said a lot of her customers these days are keto, and quite a few carnivore. ( she brings back the organ meat for the carnis)
Dinner was burger made with some of the mince plus a bit of salad and olive oil dressing.
Lunch was air fried brined chicken wings. I love these and 5 wasn’t enough really, had to top up with some olives and cheese.
That topside is £6 cheaper than my local grass fed!!! Am so envious

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal you would be most welcome!
Sadly no delivery: they are only a small set up, just the farmer - who knows a lot about cows but not much about business, his wife who deals with that, their 2 small children and a herd of cows.
@MrsA2 I thought the whole lot was very reasonably priced for such amazing quality and provenance.
Tonight we had the rib eye steaks ( reverse seared as they were thick enough to to take it) absolutely the best thing ever! I even ate the fat which I can’t usually cope with.
Had it with salad leaves, avocado and fried mushrooms.
2 glasses of red wine also - does that count as real food? It certainly counts as essential at times.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly no delivery: they are only a small set up, just the farmer - who knows a lot about cows but not much about business, his wife who deals with that, their 2 small children and a herd of cows.
@MrsA2 I thought the whole lot was very reasonably priced for such amazing quality and provenance.
Tonight we had the rib eye steaks ( reverse seared as they were thick enough to to take it) absolutely the best thing ever! I even ate the fat which I can’t usually cope with.
2 glasses of red wine also - does that count as real food? It certainly counts as essential at times.
Another time I need the envy emoji!
Sounds great

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My (half) lamb shoulder is just resting after 40 mins in the air fryer at 170c. I thought a bit longer at a lower heat, since it was shoulder. Anyway, I have just carried out essential quality control before wrapping it in foil and it is delicious - I will be having it with simple buttered sprouts and a glass of wine, I really can’t wait!

Well, not that I am waiting for the wine, actually....

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You know, I think they do do deliveries....
https://trewayfarmturkeys.co.uk/products/treway-farm-pedigree-shorthorn-beef-boxes

This is the same place I think?

I am contemplating a smaller box come payday, it looked fabulous.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll be on to that farm shop @DJC3 and thanks for the link @TeddyTottie

First ever taste of venison (of any description) today, in the form of venison mince. Attempting to increase my protein to fat ratio. Quite tasty and very filling. Some leftover - likely to be made into a burger tomorrow. Added a couple of eggs (yolks strangely differently coloured) and followed up with some Fage Greek yoghurt for my OMAD.

5ED63AF0-36AE-4B56-8A33-5AA654D05958.jpeg

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Air fried chicken and assorted roast veg again tonight. With a glass of red wine. Cos... Friday.

Tesco are selling half-price boned shoulders of lamb atm so I have one to roast tomorrow (well, probably freeze half), also in the AF. And then use the leftovers for a lamb casserole-y thing in the instant pot on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Oh and weekend breakfasts of boiled eggs with bacon soldiers for dipping! Bacon will be cooked in the AF too... @LittleGreyCat - go on, you know it makes sense!

Bacon in the air fryer is absolute perfection! Crispy rind and juicy bacon, I do mine 6 minutes on high, job done! So easy to clean too.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The leftover lamb shoulder is in the instant pot on slow cook with homemade tomato sauce from last summer’s tomatoes, one tin of chickpeas, courgette, pepper and aubergine with some spices and a lot of chilli. Gotta love a one-pot wonder, especially when there will be some for the freezer as well!

Buzzer81

IMG_5021.jpg

I find this to be a great meal, bacon, eggs, tomato fried, then throw an avocado in. It’s delicious and quick!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The leftover lamb shoulder is in the instant pot on slow cook with homemade tomato sauce from last summer’s tomatoes, one tin of chickpeas, courgette, pepper and aubergine with some spices and a lot of chilli. Gotta love a one-pot wonder, especially when there will be some for the freezer as well!
That sounds excellent.
Are you following a low carb diet? If so, what is your experience with chick peas? I am ok with puy lentils or similar but I can only cope with a small portion of chick peas.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s main meal was the brisket part of the large amount of beef bought at the farm recently. Seasoned and smothered in Dijon mustard then slow cooked on a bed of onions and a splash of bone broth. 9hrs. This is the first time I’ve really enjoyed brisket, also had cauli mash and sprouts. Gravy was made with a stick blender to whizz up the meat juices and onion left in the pot.
@Goonergal I’m sure you won’t be disappointed in the meat,it’s so flavoursome with a decent amount of good grass fed fat.
@TeddyTottie I agree - a one pot wonder is my kind of cooking. Also Bacon Soldiers!! How have I never thought of that?

Hotpepper20000

I’ve been. craving seafood lately. Highly unusual for me.
I have some wild salmon that I plan on grilling with some rosemary and tyme, that I’ve managed to keep growing indoors all winter from last summer.
Broccoli and Cauliflower cheese gratin to go along with it.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds excellent.
Are you following a low carb diet? If so, what is your experience with chick peas? I am ok with puy lentils or similar but I can only cope with a small portion of chick peas.
Yeah I restrict chickpeas - this will make around 4 or 5 portions so one tin is much distributed, and I find them fine in small doses. Fortunately the tomatoes, cooked or raw, don’t really shift my BG which makes things much easier. Not even the home-grown ones, which are much sweeter!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lovely real food day today. I really enjoy food so much more these days - no mindless snacking, sugar crashes or guilt.
Lunch was steak and eggs ( a couple of small strips of minute steak and 2 fried eggs) - always been my favourite meal.
Dinner was roast chicken, bacon roll- ups, roast aubergine and buttered cabbage.
2 big mugs of cocoa tea now.
I did have a DGF cake after lunch - I don’t consider these real food and I’d like not to eat them but I do have quite a few boxes to get through so they will still be part of my menu for the next few weeks.