Chaffles

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was it worth buying the waffle maker?

Ooooh yeah!

Garlic and herb chaffles, sweet chaffles with butter and a small shot of low carb syrup... why has it taken me so long to try these crispy fluffy wonders?

I feel a chaffle pizza lies in my near future, and a burger in a chaffle ‘bun’, and jalapeño chaffles with a chilli.... I’m sure more use cases will occur to me!

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any favourite recipes? I am about to start trying these. Waiting for the waffle maker though unfortunately. Seems a shortage of them.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have christened an extra thick rasher of bacon in a chaffle - the bacon 'chaffy'.

Reactions: Paul41

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I frequently have chaffles with cream cheese and smoked salmon for weekend breakfasts- one of my absolute favourites. Yesterday I was hungry at lunchtime so I made plain chaffles, topped with cheese and whacked them in the air fryer for cheese on ‘toast’. ‘Twas yummy.

Also sardines on ‘toast’. In fact as a toast substitute it’s good with peanut butter too, maybe with pate? Must try that...

Reactions: Ceppo

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chaffles are cheese-and egg-based low-carb waffles and can be sweet or savoury.

One egg, some tasteless cheese (for the sweet version) like shredded mozzarella, couple of spoons of almond flour, pinch of salt and some bicarbonate is my basic recipe. I add erithrytol, vanilla and some lemon extract, sometimes some mixed spice, for a sweet one, and strong cheddar if I want it to taste of cheese. Very quick, easy and versatile

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O..K.. ? So that's different to an Omlette, how?
Cheese and almond flour. The end result tastes neither of cheese nor eggs (unless you use a strong cheese) and has a waffle-y texture

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If you put a small amount of coconut flour (around a teaspoon) they puff up and add a edge to consistency.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy and Ceppo

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, I had chaffles with pate and butter for breakfast. That was good! I don’t usually have breakfast during the week, but I was hungry. Plus I had bought the pate, so....