Changed AM Insulin from Humulin I TO Lantus - Advice please . . .

After many years T2 on Ins. now re-assessed as T1.5 & put on Lantus, advice please.

• I dont know what this means ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sweetpea2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Low carb food LOL Not a big meat eater so it's hard going . . . . .
I am female 59. In addition to Diabetes, I have 2 Heart conditions (1 genetic) and had a TIA in 2018.
Kept my weight for the last 15 years around 11-12 stone, which may seem a lot but prior to that i actually weighed in at 19 stone, 2lbs. Basically lost 10 stone in just over 1 year.

Having been a T2 on insulin for over 20 years. Humulin I twice daily,
I have since been re-assessed as T 1.5 and my insulin has, in part been changed.
Obviously, I'm insulin resistant (as indeed I am to most all medications) always need a high dose to resolve most of my medical ssues.

My morning insulin has been changed to Lantus, to give me background cover, as my eating is sporadic, or not at all first thing in the morning. I'm told Lantus is the best for this kind of scenario ? ?
My evening insulin, remains unchanged . . As levels are stable overnight, with a morning reading of 4 to 5

Today is my first morning on Lantus, as per my GP advice took just 6 units, so dont really know what to expect . .

Has anyone out there had a change like this, and how did it work out for you please.

Many thanks

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
There are a few T1/Lada/T1.5ers that have been diagnosed after a T2 diagnosis for ten years (@searley ), not sure if you are setting a record with 20.

So I haven't experienced your particular situation but I can talk about insulin types.

People who are insulin deficient commonly go on a basal/bolus regime. The idea is that the basal (eg lantus) keeps you going when you aren't eating (your brain still needs glucose to function overnight and your liver will supply it) , while the bolus (short acting insulin) is used for meals and as a correction dose of your blood sugar is too high. So the idea is that if you don't eat your basal will keep you going and if you do eat your bolus will counteract your meals. So my guess is that your food intake is mostly in the evening?

But long term, I'd expect them to add in a bolus insulin which you inject just when you eat.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
lantus/levemir which are similar is probably one of the better background insulins

i had humbling for a few years about 10 years ago

Humulin I whilst it should work for 16 house tends to work shorter for most but tends to have quite a peak of action after about 4 hours which if you are not eating can risk hypo's lantus has a flatter action and whilst there is still a peak its not as harsh as humulin so slightly less risk when not eating

as @EllieM says they may well add in a rapid insulin at some point that is taken with meals.

i also dare say, that they have started you on 6 units, but will want you to report you bg levels to them and they may well increase this
but i would think you will have less issues with lantus

sweetpea2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There are a few T1/Lada/T1.5ers that have been diagnosed after a T2 diagnosis for ten years (@searley ), not sure if you are setting a record with 20.

So I haven't experienced your particular situation but I can talk about insulin types.

People who are insulin deficient commonly go on a basal/bolus regime. The idea is that the basal (eg lantus) keeps you going when you aren't eating (your brain still needs glucose to function overnight and your liver will supply it) , while the bolus (short acting insulin) is used for meals and as a correction dose of your blood sugar is too high. So the idea is that if you don't eat your basal will keep you going and if you do eat your bolus will counteract your meals. So my guess is that your food intake is mostly in the evening?

But long term, I'd expect them to add in a bolus insulin which you inject just when you eat.

Thank you EllieM for the information. I highly suspect that this new change is going to be "a work in progress " with repetative glucose readings, that I hate doing but hey ho . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

sweetpea2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
lantus/levemir which are similar is probably one of the better background insulins

i had humbling for a few years about 10 years ago

Humulin I whilst it should work for 16 house tends to work shorter for most but tends to have quite a peak of action after about 4 hours which if you are not eating can risk hypo's lantus has a flatter action and whilst there is still a peak its not as harsh as humulin so slightly less risk when not eating

as @EllieM says they may well add in a rapid insulin at some point that is taken with meals.

i also dare say, that they have started you on 6 units, but will want you to report you bg levels to them and they may well increase this
but i would think you will have less issues with lantus

Thanks searly for your information and comments. Yes I'm more than sure that the doseage will need to be upped and a bolus dose thrown in as well just for good measure. Watch this space . . .

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have since been re-assessed as T 1.5

Hi there, wow, a re diagnosis after 20 years. Can you tell us what they have based this on at all? I don't think I'd be amused if I had spent 20 years thinking I was type 2 and then being told no. What makes them think it was a misdiagnosis? x

sweetpea2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi there, wow, a re diagnosis after 20 years. Can you tell us what they have based this on at all? I don't think I'd be amused if I had spent 20 years thinking I was type 2 and then being told no. What makes them think it was a misdiagnosis? x

No, I was never mis-diagnosed in the beginning. I was a regular T2. On meds. for first year or two, but they didn't help much and I'm allergic to Metformin, so graduated to Insulin.
Maybe I didnt word my posting correctly, but given the context I thought it made sense.
Perhaps I could have said "re-assigned" to the status of a T 1.5 diabetic.
Mainly because, as far as I am aware, the following issues, my pancreas no longer produces insulin, had some antibody tests that the Dr said were concerning and the fact that my mother died from pancreatic cancer.
Hope that clarifies the situation.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I was never mis-diagnosed in the beginning. I was a regular T2. On meds. for first year or two, but they didn't help much and I'm allergic to Metformin, so graduated to Insulin.
Maybe I didnt word my posting correctly, but given the context I thought it made sense.
Perhaps I could have said "re-assigned" to the status of a T 1.5 diabetic.
Mainly because, as far as I am aware, the following issues, my pancreas no longer produces insulin, had some antibody tests that the Dr said were concerning and the fact that my mother died from pancreatic cancer.
Hope that clarifies the situation.

Hi sweetpea, thanks for replying. I don't eat breakfast or lunch for that matter, I have one meal around 5pm. I take 6 units of Lantus around 9pm and that seems to keep me stable. They told me to take it at that time because at the start I was going low in the middle of the night. Not sure of the logic of this as I just did what they said back then. x

sweetpea2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If I may ask . . What do you take in the morning?