1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cholesterol and Statins

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by bulkbiker, Oct 2, 2018.

1. SZB2357

SZB2357 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am on a 10 mg statin from the last 10 years. However my result for Triglycerides was 2.26 which had gone up and not satisfactory. How can I lower triglycerides quickly. My other results were = Total cholesterol 4.35, HDL 1.59, LDL 1.73, VLDL 1.03.
    Please can someone help.

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Triglycerides are usually influenced by what you have eaten before the blood test.
    Had you water fasted for 12-14 hours before the blood was taken?

3. SZB2357

Thanks @bulkbiker. Fasted for only 8 hours before the test, had a late night snack. What about the rest of the values?

4. bulkbiker

Other values look fine.. are you taking any cholesterol lowering meds?
    What was the late night snack?

5. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For anybody prepared to read scientific papers, here is one about Cholesterol (in favour of it), Saturated and MonoUnsaturated fats (in favour of them) and PolyUnsaturated Fats (mostly warning against their use in cooking).
    https://t.co/7ZtwjUSXCI?amp=1

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

As the intro states"This paper represents an opinionated review " so it is a scholastic essay and as such is a personal review of other people's published works. It is a text version of a meta-study. It does not have any internal data analysis of its own and adds no new science per se, It is a review.

It starts quite gently but gets bogged down towards the end sections. It becomes quite heavy reading and is not for the faint-hearted. There were times when I had to back up and re=read sections because the author could have been more precise on the point he is making, but in parts of the text, it seems to be contradictory but actually is not. I got totally lost over the even / odd chains for SFA as to which were the harmful ones, and which came from animal sources and which were plant-based, Edit: Reference #30 should provide clarity for this.
    But I have found a different paper covering this same topic
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261561421002934

However, most of the referenced reports were ones I was already aware of, so this is a nice reference library for future discussion on this topic. Thank you for posting it.

#426 Oldvatr, Oct 1, 2021 at 5:20 PM
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  7. SZB2357

Yes I am taking Atrovastatin 10mg. Had a slice of bread and egg and a small peach.

8. bulkbiker

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Recent video.
    Fats, Cholesterol, Heart Disease and All Cause Mortality etc. Low Carb All Stars video by Zoe Harcombe Phd

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook