ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I found this suggestion on the best organic foods.
Buy the Clean Fifteen!

These come under the list of the ‘clean 15’, i.e. fruit and vegetables with the least pesticide residues, so you can buy conventional varieties and save precious pennies:

1. Avocados
  2. Kiwi
  3. Cauliflower
  4. Sweetcorn
  5. Pineapples
  6. Cabbage
  7. Sweet peas
  8. Onions
  9. Asparagus
  10. Papayas
  11. Kiwis
  12. Aubergine
  13. Honeydew melon
  14. Cantaloupe melon
  15. Grapefruit
Only 6 of those I eat but are ironically the most expensive of fruits and veg! Humf!

Even Lidl onions are creeping up in price!!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m finding LCHF horrendous on the affordability front, but it’s done miracles for my sugars and general well-being so I don’t want to go back!

I’m allergic to mammal meat, poultry and cow dairy, so my goat butter is £1.90 a block and we all know the price of olive oil and avocados! It’s much more expensive to find enough fat, I’ve found. I can have oily fish, so there’s that, but don’t want to overload on protein. Goat, sheep and buffalo cheeses are also way more expensive than the cow versions.

I’ve got the holy trinity of almond flour, coconut flout and psyllium husk arriving this week, so will be trying some baking. But at £18 for the three, that’ll just be a treat.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m finding LCHF horrendous on the affordability front, but it’s done miracles for my sugars and general well-being so I don’t want to go back!

I’m allergic to mammal meat, poultry and cow dairy, so my goat butter is £1.90 a block and we all know the price of olive oil and avocados! It’s much more expensive to find enough fat, I’ve found. I can have oily fish, so there’s that, but don’t want to overload on protein. Goat, sheep and buffalo cheeses are also way more expensive than the cow versions.

I’ve got the holy trinity of almond flour, coconut flout and psyllium husk arriving this week, so will be trying some baking. But at £18 for the three, that’ll just be a treat.

You could say it is your allergies that are the cost problem rather than LC, maybe? What fats were you eating before starting this way of eating?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I find that ground almonds work just as well as almond flour. They are almost always on offer (Whitworths brand, I think) at Asda at 3 packs of 150g for £3. If you’re going to use a lot of it, worth having a look. Pretty sure that someone else posted a similar offer at Tesco’s.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You could say it is your allergies that are the cost problem rather than LC, maybe? What fats were you eating before starting this way of eating?
I wasn’t. I was sticking to the recommended low fat, high carb diet they tell us to eat. So I was living on pasta, rice, potatoes, root veg, lentils, the usual vegetarian carb fest. That was very cheap. The allergies kicked in about 18 months ago, I’ve been doing LC a few weeks.

Reactions: ickihun
D

Deleted member 308541

I eat a lot of eggs (four dozen) a fortnight, and the ones I buy are cage eggs at $3.00 a dozen. The price of free range eggs varies between brands at $6.50 to $8.50

So good savings on money there, as I cant taste the difference between the two.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a lot of eggs (four dozen) a fortnight, and the ones I buy are cage eggs at $3.00 a dozen. The price of free range eggs varies between brands at $6.50 to $8.50

So good savings on money there, as I cant taste the difference between the two.
They may not taste different but eating eggs from caged hens would be last on my list for economy measures. Battery cages are banned in the UK and eggs from the slightly less inhumane enhanced cages are likely to follow suit, some supermarkets already don't sell them.

Reactions: Mark_1
D

Deleted Account

salmon was a big staple for us too but the price had shot up - never get that on offer now either.
There has been a shortage of farmed salmon this year due to an infection, I think. This has led to salmon prices rising.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There has been a shortage of farmed salmon this year due to an infection, I think. This has led to salmon prices rising.
I only buy it reduced now. I can get a couple of chunks most week from my local Lidl, thankfully.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I only buy it reduced now. I can get a couple of chunks most week from my local Lidl, thankfully.

I can't abide fish but I got two packs of salmon fillets from the local Aldi last week for the family. Very reasonably priced and put straight into the freezer at home for those 'short weeks'. Job's a goodun'!

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Money is money mate, what I save on the swings I can spend on the roundabout. :D

Can't argue with you on that mate.
This site advocates eating anything with a pulse.
Lets not be precious about believing they ran into that plastic wrapper in the supermarket for us.
They live badly, they die badly, we pay as little as we can for it.
We keep our sugar low, by eating other living things.
Lets not crack on we helped them out here.

Imagine what a chicken with diabetes would be eating if they could bang us down?

Reactions: dwnunder

sunburst69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it just me or has the Cost of food been detrimental to your eating plan for better diabetes control?
Or is it because I have a better eating 4yr old, so distortion my impression?
I easy get bored with food so I shop around. Even Lidl is putting their prices up, over and over again?

I'd be interest in how you are coping and any tips?
Seems the cost of 'healthy' foods goes up more than 'regular' foods sometimes. A large part of my organic produce is now purchased as frozen - this provides substantial savings over fresh and is easier to buy larger quantities for further savings. Since I am single, it is not always efficient to buy bulk, fresh produce. Particularly berries - I eat only a few per day as my main fruit (not counting avocados) and buying frozen I get bulk savings and no spoilage since I don't eat fresh fast enough. I buy larger quantities of almond & coconut flour, oils, nuts and some seeds to get better prices and just make sure to store properly. Some canned fish - salmon, sardines & tuna - can be cost effective, but watch the sodium content. Frozen fish usually offers savings over fresh. Buy large size of plain yogurt and make your own mixtures/portions - usually cheaper and better than store bought. Can also make your own hot and cold cereals and save considerable money.

Reactions: Prem51