Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it seems like the UK government is asking for too many slices of the cake
cake.png
here

Younger ones still working in essential services, transport, support staff and food stores etc

The same younger ones ALSO helping out neighbours,

AND

The same younger ones looking after children, their own and the ones belonging to essential services workers.

How can they do all three at the same time? do we have enough younger people to split the load up between them whilst simultaneously being able to avoid infection and having to self isolate, and not infecting or risking the ones they are caring for?

I cant, logically, see how it is possible. I hope I am wrong.

Also, are they suggesting the ‘elderly’ leave their own homes (most of them still live in their own homes) and go into containment areas?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just read that article by Robert Preston.

Ermmm….where is this army of volouteers coming from?

What if friends and family are self isolating?

I can’t see how this works for many old people.

What about the vulnerable and disabled and carers?

And why the wait for so long?

So many assumptions with this plan.

it's Peston.. to me he is pedantic, but he is well respected ( or was )

as for the help..i do think that many will offer the help to others, this has shaken many of us, and that has loosened the social restraints and many already are offering to help out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...aunched-offering-help-to-those-self-isolating

will it be every where ..will every one get that kind of help..no.
i have no idea how much of this will play out in the minute details, i believe we must consider what we can do for others
i think, in the hope that we may be That OTHER in some one else's mind, but for now, we are on our own.

And the best defence against that IS what we are doing here, sharing best ideas, thoughts and ideas to push us through
the next few weeks & months.
how to spot if you have and /or what are the symptoms, and of course the AAGHH we all hasd at DX
where someone else chilled us out so we could function, calm and move on .will still be needed in abundance
and then what did we do ?..we did that for someone else.

the world has changed sad to say..what we did, may not apply tomorrow,
the best we can do..is be informed, reach out, share

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing is being ramped up in some parts of the country. It was being done yesterday at our local Walmart and Target stores. Only two people have tested positive here since testing began in our county. 95 have tested negative. No deaths.

Here's the article...

How will new drive-thru coronavirus testing work? It’s expected to roll out across US

The U.S. government plans to roll out drive-thru coronavirus testing across the country.

White House coronavirus response coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx said at a Friday press conference that a diagnostic platform will allow users to list their symptoms online, Business Insider reported. The site will give people the closest “drive-thru” test options, which will give results in 24 to 36 hours, the outlet reported.

LabCorps and Quest created the testing model, and President Donald Trump said during the conference that Walmart, Target, CVS and other companies will allow their parking areas to be used for drive-thru sites, the outlet reported.

Cities in New York, Colorado, Washington, California, Utah, Minnesota, Delaware and Indiana are in the process of implementing drive-thru testing or have already done so, NBC News reported.

New York’s drive-thru test site in New Rochelle opened on Friday and can test up to 200 people a day and will eventually test 500, according to NBC News. Tests are by appointment, the outlet reported.

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article241181106.html

D

Deleted member 308541

So with all the population locked down in their own homes and bored out of their minds with Netflix and You Tube, there will be a baby boom explosion

The resultant children will be known as "Coronials".

Reactions: becca59

Honeyend

If they dont test, how will they know if we ever reach this, so called, herd immunity?
Am I having my leg pulled?

Like some kind of super surfer in a storm, with blond locks flapping, Boris canutis is going ride the perfect flat topped wave, to an ideal solution to our problems. :)
I can understand why people want testing, but what does it actually do, we are out of the contanment phase? If according to the figures there may be already 10,000 cases, some of which may have little or no symptoms, this is from models from previous epidemics, and data will also be being shared by the WHO. So while it may nice to know whether you are had it, if you have the symptoms, you are obviously not well, isn't better to act as if you have?
When someone is tested with symptoms they are already in the infective stage, and perhaps the best option is for them to be at home, not potentially spreading it, even if they visit a 'pod', you will be at the most infective stage so why expose health workers needlessly if you are not needing medical support?
Then you have to think about staffing, while your testing your taking away staff, there is a lot of backroom training going on and staff to upskill, and just working out the logistics of where to put patients and who is going to care for them. There is a plan to register student nurses early, so they will all need mentorship.
My daughter has told me nursing homes are refusing to take patients, even if they are fit for discharge, which blocks an acute bed with O2. She used to work in ITU and expects to be redeployed back to the wards and expected most of the wards will be functioning like high dependancy units.
The majority of patients who need ITU beds at the moment are over 70, that is without the virus, many of these patients already die, because of co-morbities.
https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-inf...hospital-adult-critical-care-activity/2015-16

I am not a fan of BJ, but I can understand the rational behind the discisions, its easy to be critical, but its a balancing act between keeping the country functioning, verus risk.

I went to or local public loos on Friday which are clean and well supplied, I watched an elderly smartly dressed lady totter out without washing her hands and get in a wheelchair pushed by her equally elderly husband. There are certain people that for what ever reason think hand washing does not apply to them.
The impression I get sometimes is that people think hand washing is perhaps a weak defense, but looking at the figures for norvirus, which can be spread by inhalation, this seasons figures are down, which perhaps is down to extra handwashing, as its often a new strain every year.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...1753/Norovirus_update_2020_weeks_08_to_09.pdf

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Interesting article from Dr Muscles.

The One Difference in Survivors of COVID-19

by DocMuscles

I've taken a tremendous interest in the recent deaths caused by the corona-virus infection

. The reason for my interest is high C-reactive protein (CRP) and high interleukin-6 (IL-6) levels in patients with this illness. Recent data,

literally hot off the press, demonstrates that those with the greatest risk of mortality had the highest CRP and IL-6.

I have a large population of metabolic syndrome, hyperinsulinemia

and diabetic

patients in my practice. About 85% of my practice has hyperinsulinemia. They over produce insulin between 2-30 times normal in response to any form of ingested carbohydrate (simple and complex sugars, fruit, pasta, cereal, oatmeal, etc.) High insulin causes elevated CRP and IL-6

Why is this a problem?
Why is this a problem? A very interesting fact was published four days ago in The Lancet. They published a study

looking at 191 patients in two hospital centers in China. The authors found that the highest rates of death occurred in those with current hypertension, diabetes and/or coronary artery disease (heart disease or atherosclerosis of the arteries). This virus traditionally causes a simple common cold. Seeing this data in this particular viral strain dramatically changed my perspective on this virus.

These three maladies (hypertension

, diabetes

& coronary artery disease

) are the three most common medical problems that I seen in my clinic, and they affect 85% of my practice population. All three are caused and driven by hyperinsulinemia

. The higher your insulin response to starches or sugars, the more likely you are to have hypertension, diabetes and heart disease.

Insulin Raises Cytokine Levels
This elevated insulin in response to any starch or sugar, hyperinsulinemia, causes a rise in C-Reactive Protein (CRP) and Interleukin-6 (IL-6). These two cytokines are responsible for mediating the inflammatory response to illness, injury and stress in the body. These two hormones are ALWAYS chronically elevated in patients with hypertension (elevated blood pressure), pre-diabetes, diabetes, coronary heart disease and obesity.

C-Reactive Protein
CRP is a reactive protein produced by the liver in response to inflammation. It is an "acute phase reactant" signaling the body's immune system to respond to stress, inflammation or infection. The presence of insulin directly raises CPR. In my clinical experience, CRP normalizes within about three days of insulin returning to a normal level.

Interleukin-6
IL-6 is a cytokine. It stimulates increased body temperature, regulates fevers and stimulates immune cells to function when infection or inflammation occur. This dual acting hormone is produced by a number of cells, but predominantly by the adipocytes (fat cells), and has a negative feedback on the livers ability to sense the presence of insulin. Elevated insulin levels over time cause increased size of fat cells. This causes abnormally high levels of IL-6 production from the adipocytes and decreases the signal of insulin on the liver - leading to insulin resistance, pre-diabetes and diabetes. Elevation of IL-6 often persists until the fat cells shrink back down to a non-obese size. IL-6 can also stimulate elevated CRP as well.

Risk of Death
Patients with elevated IL-6 and CRP were at much greater risk of mortality when exposed to COVID-19. Those that died, all of them, from this viral infection had IL-6 and CRP levels twice as high as those who recovered from the illness. That is profound.

Temporal changes in laboratory markers from illness onset in patients hospitalized with COVID-19

What does this mean?
What does this mean to you and me? It means that those with elevated IL-6 are more likely to experience a severe complication if exposed to this virus. That means that 85% of my practice is at higher risk of mortality. That's what got my attention. Hopefully, it gets your attention.

What can you and I do?
What can be done about it? Follow a ketogenic lifestyle. A dietary approach that lowers CRP and IL-6 may be the perfect prevention. Over the last 16 years of using ketogenic lifestyles, I have seen this pattern improve thousands of times. The presence of ketones immediately suppresses the production of IL-6 and improves the stimulus for CPR production at the liver. Cutting out carbohydrates lowers insulin back to a normal baseline within 3-7 days for most people. CRP returns to normal within three days of fixing your diet. And, IL-6 begins to decline immediately. In my obese patients, it can take 18-24 months for IL-6 to return back to normal.

Additional Measures
Don't stress. The overly hyped fear mongering produced in the media in the last two weeks raises your stress level. Turn off the T.V. and stop listening to the 24 hour news cycles. Over the next couple of weeks, while the risk of the virus is the highest, the following precautions are also essential:

1. Follow good hand washing practices

2. Limit exposure to those who may be carrying this illness through social distancing
  3. Get good sleep

(six or more hours of restful sleep)
  4. Use a complete pharmaceutical grade vitamin

5. Spend 20-30 minutes outside

6. Do something physical

for 20-30 minutes 5-6 days per week
Above all, enjoy some bacon. Seriously.

If bacon isn't your thing, then have a nice rib eye. Either way, based on the data above, your ketogenic lifestyle is the very best thing you can do to avoid serious infections, including COVID-19.

DocMuscles

|

Reactions: Rustytypin

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
And now it seems likely that all over 70s will be told to stay at home, whether ill or not, within the next 20 days, and this could last for 4 months. Oh joy and thrice joy. I do hope this is fake news.

lindisfel

Expert
So with all the population locked down in their own homes and bored out of their minds with Netflix and You Tube, there will be a baby boom explosion

The resultant children will be known as "Coronials".
I hope my wife doesn't get pregnant, we've been married 58 years next tuesday! :) ;)
D.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope it’s all over and Matt Hancock was just talking about it.

Lots of heavy duty swear words going on in this house. Currently looking at the terms and conditions of cancelling our 3 pre-booked cottage holidays, and have put daughter on shopping alert. One thing about it, the House of Lords will be empty. :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it's Peston.. to me he is pedantic, but he is well respected ( or was )

as for the help..i do think that many will offer the help to others, this has shaken many of us, and that has loosened the social restraints and many already are offering to help out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...aunched-offering-help-to-those-self-isolating

will it be every where ..will every one get that kind of help..no.
i have no idea how much of this will play out in the minute details, i believe we must consider what we can do for others
i think, in the hope that we may be That OTHER in some one else's mind, but for now, we are on our own.

And the best defence against that IS what we are doing here, sharing best ideas, thoughts and ideas to push us through
the next few weeks & months.
how to spot if you have and /or what are the symptoms, and of course the AAGHH we all hasd at DX
where someone else chilled us out so we could function, calm and move on .will still be needed in abundance
and then what did we do ?..we did that for someone else.

the world has changed sad to say..what we did, may not apply tomorrow,
the best we can do..is be informed, reach out, share
I am not taking about people being willing to help. I am talking about how people can realistically help when so much help will need to be provided by ones who are already caring for children, working etc

Plus the issue of exposure on both sides.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And now it seems likely that all over 70s will be told to stay at home, whether ill or not, within the next 20 days, and this could last for 4 months. Oh joy and thrice joy. I do hope this is fake news.
If we are going to have to stay at home then they need to sort out the supply problem. The government should have TOLD supermarkets to ration essentials at the first sign of panic buying. Also online ordering is collapsing under the strain and of course not all old people are on line anyway.

Reactions: Schmoukes

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am hoping it will be implemented sooner than 20 days. With 3 family members in their 80s, all with health issues which would make COVID-19 high risk for them, I think being confined to barracks by The Government may be the only thing that makes them take this seriously.

We have already discussed cancelling the MIL's weekly supermarket trip (we transport, she shops, we take shopping into house), but rejected that idea, since we know that if we refused to take her, she would just make daily trips all over town to pick up odds and **** instead of one big trip using other people's muscles - and all those little trips would increase her exposure.

Fortunately, she has a respect for what doctors, police and politicians say, so is more likely to listen to them.

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I complained at my surgery on Friday as we all were expected to use the touchscreen, and there was no hand sanitizer.

The receptionist booked me in, and handed me the sanitizer she kept under her counter so it doesn’t disappear.

She couldn’t seem to grasp that being able to ask for sanitizer is no good without a sign to say it is available on request. How would people know?

As I sat in the waiting room, in a far corner, several people used the screen and didn’t sanitize in any way.

It’s not good.