COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a lot of reports from Africa despite the strong Chinese presence.
Wonder if they aren't getting it or aren't reporting it?

Nigeria reported their first i think, but you are right..lack of testing kits, so not testing or are they on top of their game as they smashed Ebola out of the park a few years back..?,,and others must surely have some contagion.
seems improbable as you say, with all the investment china has been placing there the last decade or so, so few are reporting incidences.Must be traffic back and forwards all the time.

@urbanracer cheers for that link..interesting..

Reactions: urbanracer
D

Deleted member 308541

I'm all stocked up. Got masks too but from what I've read they will be pretty useless. Should have got n95 or n99. But let's hope it wont come to that stage!
I have a couple of boxes of P2 masks I got when the bushfires were raging in December and January, they are a lot more effective than the basic unfiltered mask.
Really not sure how or what I’d stock for 14 days! But I agree with the sentiment.
We always have a supply of tinned corned beef in stock, cooks up ok.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
"Doomsday Preppers" (US show) is always over the top. May their disasters never be realised

D

Deleted member 308541

Symptoms to watch for:

New South Wales Health has posted new advice for international travellers.

Those returning to Australia from the list of countries below are being told to watch out for respiratory symptoms or fever:

China, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Iran, Italy, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Thailand.

So what symptoms should you be looking out for?

Fever
Cough
Sore throat
Shortness of breath

NSW chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant said symptoms could be very mild. "If symptoms develop, immediately isolate yourself and call your doctor or health direct 1800 022 222 for an assessment," Dr Chant said.
There are two more cases reported here in Australia, a new one in Queensland and one in WA.
New case confirmed in Queensland.

A 63-year-old woman is in isolation in the Gold Coast University Hospital after testing positive to the virus.
The woman had recently returned to Australia from Iran.
It's Queensland's sixth confirmed case of COVID-19.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-28/coronavirus-updates-live/12009652

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Correct, yet for England, they don't say.

i'd say it's akin to letting you know it's in Sydney, or anywhere else in Oz
but not saying when it comes to anywhere in Queensland until way later
once everyone's guessed who or where it was.

EDIT have now said it's the guy from surrey, (6 minutes ago 00:05)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51683428

but i may have missed it but the other case i suspect was canary wharf, yet no confirmation if that was them or not .
now bear in mind i live in London, and canary wharf is on the far side, but i'd still like to know.
otherwise we just guess. and that can't be good for anyone.

have a friend currently in italy, not worried, china is SO far away..and he's right.
he is in puglia..quite happy, until he heard about lombardy..but was ok about that too..too far away to worry,
then he heard about the case IN puglia but on the far side from him..a little bit more worried now.

it's the human state far away, not bothered..close to home..ooh err..

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Worrying stats yesterday 245 have it in Iran and 26 deaths! Hardly the flu.

Reactions: Bill_St

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Superb B&W film as well shot in my hometown. You won't regret the book or the film @jjraak

Just a quick note for anyone wishing this book currently on offer at Amazon 99p kindle version.
I found it under paperback, but then searched other formats.

Cheers for heads up @Mike D

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@jjraak ... pleasure my friend :)) When it was filmed my dad drove me into Melbourne early on a Sunday morning when they shot it. I was only 6. Streets all shut for the movie, joint empty and I certainly remember most of it, save for the fact I saw it in colour, not the stupid decision to film it in B&W.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a Nice memory @Mike D
any film at that age seems exotic, but even better if it's a good un .:)

Reactions: Mike d

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rather weirdly, I was just having similar conversation with friends on here, and the numbers for flu just don't seem to compare.

i think gov't have seriously under played this.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Rather weirdly, I was just having similar conversation with friends on here, and the numbers for flu just don't seem to compare.

I am sure the last thing the government wants is mass hysteria so they're going to sugar coat everything until they can't - in a way not dissimilar to the way the Chinese authorities reportedly suppressed the news until it was too big a problem to hide.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Because people get frightened and panic, it's everyone man, or woman, for themselves, then hysteria can set in.
I am not panicking, but watching and listening to what is going on.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because people get frightened and panic, it's everyone man, or woman, for themselves, then hysteria can set in.
I am not panicking, but watching and listening to what is going on.

While i can agree somewhat,
the world is a much more joined up then ever, and while the geeks, doom sayers and the ostriches are out there in abundance, we all, if so minded can look and aggregate the data to our own best efforts.

While people can get panicked by hysteria, they also get panicked when what is being said
doesn't add up or seem sensible.

The world sat and watched Wuhan from safety, yet S korea got many cases
Europe sat and watched S Korea from safety, yet Italy then got many cases
the cruise ship, implemented sensible precaution, yet it spread widely

ALL will have reasons, that we should learn from
those lessons are what will keep us safest.

So i make you right, watch & listen.

i also have done that, and acted accordingly
may we all make the best choices we can make.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
“we're not just fighting an epidemic; we're fighting an infodemic.” The ease through which inaccuracies and conspiracies can be repeated and perpetuated via social media and conventional outlets puts public health at a constant disadvantage. It is the rapid dissemination of trustworthy information—transparent identification of cases, data sharing, unhampered communication, and peer-reviewed research—which is needed most during this period of uncertainty. There may be no way to prevent a COVID-19 pandemic in this globalised time, but verified information is the most effective prevention against the disease of panic.” https://www.thelancet.com/.../PIIS0140-6736(20.../fulltext